WANTED WTB this 66 300 , is it worth the price ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevilx

Reaction score
Contact seller
Got the dealer to consider a 19k offer on this 66 300. The car is across country and so far all I can do is ask him questions, inspect the car from a video and from the pictures posted. Im also planning on giving him a call one last time before flying out there to look at the car.

But so far I'm noticing these things. The car is painted and theres a big black stripe down through middle , which could mean rust repair .

The car is a 440 big block from California , 66, looks like the interior was completelyy redone, trim is all original, new paint and possible engine rebuild

Im just looking for opinions and wondering if this car is worth taking a look at , not so much if I "should buy it".

But so far these are the things Ive noticed from pics.

Orange peel maybe bondo-ed
?temp_hash=a8742a7cf4b7c78bf8eb62b25e9f20f0.png

scratched chrome trim

and possibly rusted through frame ...not sure if those are suppose to be there

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 9.41.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 9.41.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 9.43.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 9.44.06 AM.png

heres a video of the motor runnin

Last edited:
19k????
He and you are out of your mind.
÷2

well yeah, that is why I'm asking. Not sure what price these usually go for. So far I'm considering taking a look not 100% set on buying.

honestly I figured if I bought a car for 5k -9k I would end up spending about another 7-9k getting it fixed up

but the car is from a dealer and most likely would be Able to take him down to 17k. (financed)

Financing 17k for a 10k car??
I must be reading this wrong....

well, what makes you think 10k constitutes a reasonable price for this car.
its a classic, rare, possible well maintained. IMO 15-16k is a reasonable range ...obviously buying from a dealer, you will have to pay unreasonable.

im also considering this 300 , just more of a fixer upper. Not sure where to get door panels and interior parts though. Does Chrysler have a decent aftermarket selection (I would assume not, at least not compared to chevy)

1965 Chrysler Newport 2 door h/t

and your'e right I am a little crazy, I've been looking for this car for about a year and a half. I also have been through the experience of having a prolonged project car due to not finding parts ...and I don't really want to go there again.

If you suspect that there has been significant bondo over rust, this will entail some very expensive panel splicing or replacement to redo the job right. Significant rust on the frame rails will cost more than the asking price for the car to repair properly. Your money would be better spent on a solid car. There are a lot of bondoed up rust buckets for sale and some bring big bucks from folks who love the style of car but do not understand the implications to just how expensive rust repair is. When you encounter one of those, run do not walk away.

Dave

If you suspect that there has been significant bondo over rust, this will entail some very expensive panel splicing or replacement to redo the job right. Significant rust on the frame rails will cost more than the asking price for the car to repair properly. Your money would be better spent on a solid car. There are a lot of bondoed up rust buckets for sale and some bring big bucks from folks who love the style of car but do not understand the implications to just how expensive rust repair is. When you encounter one of those, run do not walk away.

Dave

Not sure I just put those pics in to see if someone else might also think those may look bondo-ed .

I bought a 75 chevy c10 a few years ago, was a cheap car had a a ton of secret rust ...nothing crazy, but I no what you talking about it. Luckily I was able to enjoy the car for a while cut the rust out and sold it for the same price.

I guess you do bring up a good point and that gives me an idea .. repairing the car yourself , you won't have a surprises. So I should probably find a solid car and fix it up.

Run from this one for 19k. If it wer 15k or less I’d get somebody local to put eyes on it for you.

Ill sell you both of mine for 10k CDN... one runs one doesn’t :)

If 19k is the market on these then I am one happy camper!

9CFF866E-9C03-4F69-A022-CBEEC7834F73.jpeg
5CBCA145-FAC2-4968-BE21-BB34854330DD.jpeg

The black down the side while it doesn't look bad causes me to wonder why. Everything on this car isn't original, for instance the power brake booster and master cylinder. So, what else was modified and did they do a good job.
There are others here that know this year and model much better than me though.

well, what makes you think 10k constitutes a reasonable price for this car.
its a classic, rare, possible well maintained. IMO 15-16k is a reasonable range ...obviously buying from a dealer, you will have to pay unreasonable.

im also considering this 300 , just more of a fixer upper. Not sure where to get door panels and interior parts though. Does Chrysler have a decent aftermarket selection (I would assume not, at least not compared to chevy)

1965 Chrysler Newport 2 door h/t

and your'e right I am a little crazy, I've been looking for this car for about a year and a half. I also have been through the experience of having a prolonged project car due to not finding parts ...and I don't really want to go there again.

Trust me if Commando1 tells you that the car is not worth it, you had better believe it!

Car has been customized. You state it's a 440 car, yet many of these were 383 from the factory. Have you checked the accuracy of that claim? Is it factory or a transplant?

Car has been customized. You state it's a 440 car, yet many of these were 383 from the factory. Have you checked the accuracy of that claim? Is it factory or a transplant?
I noticed that too . its probably a transplant , Im not an expert on the Chrysler but I did understand that the 383 or 413's were the engines the car came with (Newport and 300)

Trust me if Commando1 tells you that the car is not worth it, you had better believe it!
dually noted , screw the dealer.

why didn't any one tell me about this one! I have an on going thread that I posted maybe a couple or few months ago lol

wait you know what I think I did see this, but thought the car was a weird red.

anyone who reads, I'm searching for a 1965-1967 bench seat Newport or 300 for REASONABLE price. please PM

thanks

I noticed that too . its probably a transplant , Im not an expert on the Chrysler but I did understand that the 383 or 413's were the engines the car came with (Newport and 300)
413s were not used in passenger cars after 1965. When the 440 was introduced in '66 it (413) was relegated to a truck motor. Even so, great power plant!

Where were you when I was selling this..

View attachment 202496

nice, is that a stock paint code? looks extra metallic.

I was probably searchin google , not sure why yours didn't come up... everyday I do a advanced search for 1966 1965 1967 Chrysler 300 Newport posted within the pass 24hours ... :(:BangHead:

I've seen this car trying to sell in the past. The motors not the correct color but does sound nice, I wonder what cams in there? Almost sounds like a whiplash cam? I don't care for the 2 tone, and there's no doubt that bodyworks been done to it with shaved letters and the emblem in the back too. The 1 underside is good to go, that's normal. The one with the arrow, I can't figure out what your lookin at, hard to tell. It's your $$, so it's your call. Me? I'd keep lookin. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back