WTF is wrong with this world? ReallY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to imagine that only 5 of these "cream puffs" are manufactured each year....I guess it's challenging to find people dumb enough to drop that kind of $$ on a glorified Suzuki Sidekick.
1995-suzuki-sidekick-2-dr-jx-4wd-convertible-picture-exterior_91254.jpg

Its a Mercedes...."the best or nothing", that's why. C'mon, get with the program already.

Its a Mercedes...."the best or nothing", that's why. C'mon, get with the program already.

For some reason Mercedes are put on a pedistal in the US ....... Anywhere else in the world there just taxi cabs ..... I don't get it....!

Why that tirades of hate on (non c-body!) cars from probably one of the best manufactured brands in the world...?! Maybe this one is not really eye candy, but to say Mercedes is not a good car brand is ridiculous... The regular G-class is a great car, that's for sure!

Nothing more to say about that...

Why that tirades of hate on (non c-body!) cars from probably one of the best manufactured brands in the world...?! Maybe this one is not really eye candy, but to say Mercedes is not a good car brand is ridiculous... The regular G-class is a great car, that's for sure!

Nothing more to say about that...
Maybe its not so much a "tirade" on the actual car as it is a comment on some of the people who drive them ("bimmers" - gotta love that nickname). I don't know what it is but many of these people drive as if where they are going is vastly more important than your life. I think they actually believe the commercials about "the best, or nothing" and "the ultimate driving machine". They usually turn out to be the ultimate ******* driving a set of wheels that is nowhere near the best. I wish I had a camcorder for everytime I've seen one of these drivers do stupid self centered **** just so they don't have to wait or you happen to be in their way. I thought about doing that and then uploading the movies to youtube, but I'd rather not get sued over it.

Bimmeris a slang term for a BMW

I Agree with you that a lot of idiots drive them, maybe because of their pricetag and the group of people which can afford them... But they're still very good constructed cars.

They are! I don't know if they're "ultimate driving machines" but well driving cars. The regular Mercedes are a little bit to "grandpa" for me but the AMG versions are really fun to drive!

I dunno.... I could get into having one of these.....

mercedes_300_sl_gullwing.jpg

mercedes_300_sl_gullwing.jpg

But they're still very good constructed cars.
Not by a long shot when you're talking about value.
I learned this first semester of Engineering school.
Any Engineer can design a water pump for Rolls Royce.
Only the best Engineers can design a water pump for Chevrolet (Sorry - this was 1970).
You are not getting 5X the car for 5X the price.
The law of diminishing returns start out very quickly.
5X the price gets you 5X the ego enhancer.
They are not any more "well constructed" than a Kia if you think about it.
I had a friend that was an Audi only man. Ate,drank, and slept Audi.
One day as I was giving a him a lift for the umpteenth time from the dealer, he once again went on to tell me about how you can't beat German Engineering. OK, Jack. Sure.
Last week, my best friend traded in his Caddy for a $14,000.00 Nissan Versa poverty model. He told me he's getting too old for this chit...

Last edited:
Good engeneering is not only how good constructed a the water pump is. It's also about the sheet metal quality and thickness, interior quality and materials, safety features and engeneering, etc. etc.

Yes, a Kia is also running. But how long, how good and of course how long good. You can't really compare a Kia with a Mercedes.

Just a little example that I found with little search...

Last edited by a moderator:
German engineered cars are still considered rather high quality, however I guess differences to other cars by experienced manufacturers have become lesser. Mercedes Benz had some quality issues with C and E-class cars with rather severe rust issues. The days these cars were considered highly superior are over and had the peak maybe during the years when the 600 came out, then the 450 6.9 liter and the following W126 S-class when people were willing to wait for up to a whole year to have your ordered car delivered. I used to work at our local MB dealership mostly in collision repair and some body restoration and can testify to the high quality of the day but still never aquired a taste for these cars. But even then you had a few issues like camshafts, waterpumps, front axles that were handled rather generously and kept a low profile.
I occasionally meet some of the old colleagues and also see what's in the mechanic employees parking lot and many still drive their old W201 190s and W124 200-300s some even bought new and they say they stay with these models as long as possible as these are the last ones in the old MB spirit and quality.

Last edited:
Had a guy in my neighborhood who had a pristine gullwing for occasional driving and a patinated 300 SL roadster as a daily driver / winter beater up to his death in the late 1990s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back