WTF is wrong with this world? ReallY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW has the tagline, "ultimate driving machine", not Mercedes. Mercedes vehicles are well built with superior quality materials fitting their high price tags. But BMW is much better engineered in the advanced powertrain areas and their styling is so much better than Mercedes. Because Audi is owned by VW, I still don't trust them. The real drawback for me for these cars is that I tend to keep mine 10 years or more, and by then the German machines tend to be very unreliable due to all the electronic stuff on them such as automatic perfumers in the back seat and vibrating rear seats, and then just try to find parts or anyone able to fix these complex vehicles. Best to own them about 4 years and then dump them. But that is what the Wall Street Bankers do anyway and probably just get a new one every year as the norm.

Not being a wall st. banker and being someone who likes to do his own thing, I will continue to stick with my 4 decade old Chrysler. Simple to diagnose, simple to fix, and no butt warmers to malfunction,lol.

Not being a wall st. banker and being someone who likes to do his own thing, I will continue to stick with my 4 decade old Chrysler. Simple to diagnose, simple to fix, and no butt warmers to malfunction,lol.

:sSig_thanks:

If I absolutely was dragged kicking and screaming into buying a new car, I'd buy a 2011 Marquis. 25 year old technology tried, tested, and proven.

Last edited:
Considering that 2011 was the last year of the Panther platform (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis), it's probably the best. That's why OKC bought over a hundred CV patrol cars and mothballed them for future use. They are not real impressed with either the Charger or the new Ford replacement.

1992:
1994_mercury_grand_marquis_4_dr_ls_sedan-pic-11692.jpeg

2011. Pretty hard to improve perfection. K.I.S.S.
2c3f88742b10b64316c04ae6e4a20605.jpg

Now I'm curious :) What's the first 87?

I'm not going to post that list here ...... This forum is suppost to be interesting.
HINT....... It gets way up there before any foreign, (non American), cars appear. Mercedes, (55/6 gullwings), comes into play at 88, but goes away after that.

As stated...The complex wiring and computer control systems on these "high end" type cars are what you really need to be worried about. That is why I too love my 20-30-40 year old technology. Might have to give up a little in plush creature comforts....but that's fine by me. At least I don't have to pay over $100 an hour shop rate for someone to try and diagnose what's wrong with my vehicle.

They are! I don't know if they're "ultimate driving machines" but well driving cars.

I've gotta agree too. My daily driver is a 7 yr old 3-series convertible and my son is driving a 10 year old 3 series. I've driven lots of domestic, Japanese, and German cars - to me BMWs are very nearly driving perfection (on 4 wheels). But the driving part is only one part of the equation.

This forum probably approaches vehicles from a different perspective - the whole equation. You all understand the mechanics and can actually fix things - and from an ownership perspective that's a big plus. You appreciate mechanical vs. computerized; American made vs. not. Overall value and total cost of ownership.

It's apples and oranges.

And yes jerks drive BMWs. And rednecks drive trucks. And pretty girls are bitches. And old guys drive 40 yr old American cars.

But not all.

I've gotta agree too. My daily driver is a 7 yr old 3-series convertible and my son is driving a 10 year old 3 series. I've driven lots of domestic, Japanese, and German cars - to me BMWs are very nearly driving perfection (on 4 wheels). But the driving part is only one part of the equation.

This forum probably approaches vehicles from a different perspective - the whole equation. You all understand the mechanics and can actually fix things - and from an ownership perspective that's a big plus. You appreciate mechanical vs. computerized; American made vs. not. Overall value and total cost of ownership.

It's apples and oranges.

And yes jerks drive BMWs. And rednecks drive trucks. And pretty girls are bitches. And old guys drive 40 yr old American cars.

But not all.

We talked about Mercedes, but you're right about BMW. I drive a 2 years old 5-series with M-package (it's not an M5) and it's definitely nearly driving perfection.

My point at the beginning of this thread only was, like you said, that this "we hate everything except our cars, just because...." thing, doesn't seems right to me.

It's apples and oranges.

But not all.
Yep, not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back