Yearlong E body project

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is finally coming along nicely. I pulled a very tired 383 and 727 almost a year ago and figured while the engine/trans were out I would do a resto under the hood along with a few other things and have it back on the road by spring....
NOT!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Yes. The engine was easy because I just had to drop it off with my engine builder. Basically stock, .030 and a very mild cam. The rotating assembly had never been apart and the ridges were grande to say the least.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It became aparent that I wasn't going to have time to do this myself so I shipped it off to a buddy that does this type of thing in his retirement and payed him to do it for me. This car needs to be on the road this season. He finished dismantle and began stripping it down in preparation for an under hood repaint.

image.jpeg

I'm sure It'll look and run great when finished. Beautiful Challenger BTW.

Really love the color, very nice shape too. Brings back memories.

I had a really nice 70 Challenger convertible with a Muscle Motors stroker Hemi ,auto, and A/C, Sublime with a black top.
It was stolen from Macomb Mall. If you see it running around,shoot me a message.

It looks like you are going to have a helluva nice E body there when it's done! Thanks for posting the pics!

Thanks for the kind words fellas! It had a blacked out cowl which is not correct for the '71 and later so it was stripped too, what the heck the fenders had to come off anyway as the doors have never been aligned properly(previous resto 23+ years ago).

image.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words fellas! It had a blacked out cowl which is not correct for the '71 and later so it was stripped too, what the heck the fenders had to come off anyway as the doors have never been aligned properly(previous resto 23+ years ago).

View attachment 70137

Bet she's nice when done... wait, she has been a sweet ride all along... glad you're getting her done for this year... sucks when you cant play with your toys.

While he was busy priming and painting I was cleaning and stripping the parts that were removed like the suspension and steering gear. I was also chasing down materials and parts for him. In addition to this I had him change out the standard instrument cluster with a ralley set up that I've been collecting parts for.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I was less concerned about colormatching the paint for this project as I was having it the correct factory color. I will likely be the one to have the body and paint on this car done maybe in the next couple of years. This is what EL5 Butterscotch base coat looks like the day it was painted.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reminds me of a covert Barracuda it test drove in NW Indiana. Let it get away due to a Crack in the stub frame, wonder what happened to it.

Sweet I am happy for you. I kind of wondered how it was coming along. It is nice when you have some help, it keeps you motivated too.

I thought I would share this shot from 2013 with his e-body, when I met Matt for the first time. Some of you will remember the editing. :)

Matt Vert3.edited.sm.jpg

Last edited:
Back