For Sale Yes, I absolutely would buy this weird Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
So shoot me. I don't care. And I bet even Mark would agree.
Yes, it's weird but let me explain myself, first...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercury/cougar-xr7/1897870.html

57184366-770-0@2X.jpg
57184380-770-0@2X.jpg

Have you ever seen one?
Did you even know such acar was made?

Tubro Charged 4Cyl 4Spd in a rather bulky car for the time. Sounds like a bad idea.
I'll say this, I've had a hidden love for the square back designs of the 80 (pre modular headlamps). Specifically this and the Buick Skylark. I don't know why but I want to rip whatever POS mechanicals out of one and build one into a ridiculous sleeper.

I already saw this coming. I knew everbody would be haters... :p

Not me. I like them, and the stick adds to it. BTW, I have a friend with cars that many people would give up their left nut to own... (FC7 V-code Challenger for example). He's in the middle of restoring a Tempo GLS V6-5-speed (also quite rare).

I will admit that that is one clean machine. That body style never did a lot for me, nor did any 80's model for that matter.

The style is nice but the quality is way down for these years
The jingle "At Ford, Quality is job 1" was only that, a jingle and nothing else.:p
All I have to say is that these were way under powered even with a turbo and they shook like hell if there was a vacuum leak
The V8's went like stink though!:steering:

ami%206%20seitenansicht%201963.jpg

You'll get this Citroen Ami 6 as a grocery getter for free as an extra, and the speedo also ends at 85 mph.

Funny, I just realized while looking at this ad: Cougar was the same platform as the T-bird. My girlfriend when I was 17 had just turned 16 and got her license and her Dad's silver 84 T-bird. We went out driving and she lost it on a curve, smacked a telephone pole and I hit the windshield (this is before seatbelts were a "thing"). I think we walked up to a house and I bled all over some ladies bath towels. I came too in the hospital and was picking glass out of my head for weeks afterwards. Probably unfair but for the number of reasons I hate 80's cars, this is a large factor.

Never cared for the Cougar that year (its the roof), the T-Bird that year was far better looking.

Alan

My youngest son had one of those (not a XR-7) for about a minute. He didn't have much money in it, and grenaded the trans very shortly after buying it. I still have some tail lights he bought for it.

This was a car he dragged home without asking.. He was 17 at the time. This would have been his second or third car he had owned by then.... and I really didn't want another car in the driveway, especially something with questionable mechanics in the middle of a bad winter.

Anyway... the body was just about perfect on the car... Interior was trashed and mechanically it was toast, but the body was nice... and kind of a shame to see it get crushed, so I found a Cougar forum and offered it up for scrap price. I couldn't believe the hate I got for doing that... Not for scrapping a Cougar, but because I had the balls to put a car on their board that wasn't a XR-7. I got a lot of nonsense about how it was worthless... which made no sense to me because all I asked for was what the scrapper would give me and a lot of "what would you expect someone to do with this?" and "what kind of scam are you trying to pull?" and " That isn't an XR-7". Mind you... it wasn't a XR-7 only forum, but holy crap... No one understood the concept of parts car or why it was only $100. Hell, the right person might have gotten the car for free.

So... after a day of that, I just said "FU" to my new Cougar buddies and called the scrap guy.

The tow truck shows up while I was at work, but my son (who was still in high school) had just gotten home when he came. No big deal... usual stuff.. hook up and go. Didn't drop the car (had one guy do that) and all was good. Then my son went out and found the tow truck driver's pistol sitting in the driveway.

I was on my way home by then and he calls me... He had a pretty good idea how to handle it if he had to, but we decided the wisest choice was to wait until I got home, but he would stay there in the driveway with it.

The driver was back and retrieved his pistol just before I got home. I woulda given him a hard time about it and made him show me his CCW before turning it over to him, but obviously my son wasn't gonna do that.

So... There's my Cougar story...

Tubro Charged 4Cyl 4Spd in a rather bulky car for the time. Sounds like a bad idea.
I'll say this, I've had a hidden love for the square back designs of the 80 (pre modular headlamps). Specifically this and the Buick Skylark. I don't know why but I want to rip whatever POS mechanicals out of one and build one into a ridiculous sleeper.

Had a Thrunderbird TurboCoupe of the same vintage and weight. Was fun as hell. Nothing like making a left turn going sideways across a 4 lane highway with smoke boiling off the rear. I miss that car.

My first new car was a 1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7. I wanted it as being the last year for the 302 V8, it was monochromatic red inside and out and loaded. Unfortunately
the Judge in my divorce gave her the car in which I had 12k already paid off before I married her. I did try out a Mustang GT and Lincoln Mark VII and I thought the 302 was not that fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back