Yet another tire question

justthatguy

Reaction score
It's tire time for my 72 Newport. I'd like to use cooper cobra white letters, I've had good success with them on my old Toyota. They offer 235/70/15 and 255/70/15. The latter is closest to the original height but I'm not sure if they'll even fit on 15x7 police wheels much less under the car.

Anyone tried this?

It's tire time for my 72 Newport. I'd like to use cooper cobra white letters, I've had good success with them on my old Toyota. They offer 235/70/15 and 255/70/15. The latter is closest to the original height but I'm not sure if they'll even fit on 15x7 police wheels much less under the car.

Anyone tried this?

Best to go with the 235 70 15's. Cooper Trendsetter white walls would be the better choice IMHO.

Anyone tried this?
Either size will fit on 15x7 wheels no problem.
Go for it.

Okay, now I know they'll go on the rim. Will they fit under the car? I know my quarter partially skirts the tire.

Hankook Kinergy ST now has 15" sizes, even in whitewalls and some RWL (P255/70R-15). "Modern rubber", so to speak. Plus the Optimo H724 for that period-correct narrow-tread look in many 14" and 15" whitewall sizes. The H724 would probably be equivalent to the Trendsettser SE, I suspect.

Only thing with the 14" H724 whitewalls, they only go up to a G78-14 equlivalent size in the 14" selections. No problem with 15" whitewall sizes, though.

Just some new sources for 2020,
CBODY67

Okay, now I know they'll go on the rim. Will they fit under the car? I know my quarter partially skirts the tire.
The backspacing and offset of the cop rims is fine with the 255's and skirts. Keep in mind some of the Formals run the same setup.

Would love to see some pics of your Newport.

In general, I'd go with WW on a Newport, but then again with police wheels the RWL may make sense. I have BFG RWL on a 1970 Polara, staggered setup with 255 in the rear. Here is a pic.

FWIW, I've got Hankook Optimo H724 WW on my other C-bodies and like those tires. In the dry, very good handling and very comfortable (smooth and quiet). I very seldom drive in rainy weather, so have only a few (and not that great) impressions in the wet.

@CBODY67 -- any experience with the new Kinergy ST?

No experience with the Kinergy ST, but on paper, it looks like a very cost-friendly alternative to some much higher-priced tire brands, in the sizes we need for our vintage cars. Plus the renewed availability of whitewalls without having to get into the repro tires (and their $$$$$$ pricing). But if you desire the wider whitesall widths, they are no help there.

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

20200509_155942.jpg

This is running the wheels that were on it when I got it, I've got a really nice set of black police wheels I was thinking of using.

I wouldn't go wider than the 235's on a 7 inch rim for handling reasons (sidewall roll), I have 235's on cop rims under a 69 fury and it handles well.

I have had too many bad experiences with Cooper tires. If you want RWL sidewalls, I thing the BFG Radial T/A's are a great quality tire at a good price. Just my 2 cents.

I have had too many bad experiences with Cooper tires. If you want RWL sidewalls, I thing the BFG Radial T/A's are a great quality tire at a good price. Just my 2 cents.
Funny enough, I had bfgs on a duster and my supra and didn't like them on either car. I thought the traction on them was horrible, and the wet performance was abysmal

View attachment 425246

This is running the wheels that were on it when I got it, I've got a really nice set of black police wheels I was thinking of using.
Thank you for the photo! Is your car GK6 or GT8?

for ideas about looks, see the huge thread started by @amazinblue82‘s tire and wheel survey. It is not searchable by car, unfortunately, but it has lots of useful pics.

Last edited:
I hadn't even thought about sidewall roll, that's a good point
I have been selling tires for almost 30 years,
The 25570r15 is acceptable on a rim minimum 6.5 inches wide to a maximum of 8.5.
So, the cop rims are right in the middle and will be fine.
(Even though 8 inch rims are optimum.)
As mentioned before many cop C's ran 25570R15 with no problems.
If you are concerned about sidewall roll,slow down in the corners!! LOL!!

I have a 73 Newport Custom, and I recently installed a set of 60's Cooper Cobras (235/60/15 & 255/60/15) onto my car using a set of reproduction Magnum 500's by American Racing (15x7).

I did install a set of 1" spacers on the rear to help the back wheels fill in the wheel wells better as well as improve the handling a bit, it looks a little funny with the tires tucked under the back end so much. I wanted to get 275's on the back but was concerned with clearance, now that the 255's are on it, I still have over an inch of additional space available, so next time I need tires, those are what will go on it.

I'm also thinking of getting a pair of 1" spacers for the front as well, as the front does look a little goofy with the front tires showing so much space in the wheel wells, it just doesn't look right. I suspect the handling would improve more as well with a wider stance.

cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=lMJKRxIGE6oAX_Phh9j&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.jpg
_oA1-j-BVBzi3fYOLmgmD_Fb3EM-fJSZWjOe79UMr8NNPvYwDm1uGgWCvP48kEk2nw6gRvw6W&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.jpg
cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=9KUH85lbKpUAX-e09Yt&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.jpg

Back