Yikes... hold on to your wallet

That equates to about .99c a litre, we're paying $1.50/L for 91 octane fuel.

We're at abt $3.90/gal here for premium unleaded (92 octane) today. Sure it will go up. The moped will see a lot of use for parts and beer (NEVER drink and ride!!) runs this summer. The sidecar for junk yard small parts runs and exploration....wearing a helmet of course...AGATT!!
photo.JPG

Damn, in NC here it is $2.75 per gallon, should I be going and filling up today?

Just be glad you have access to it (ethanol free) at all. The nearest location for it from DC is probably close to 100 miles.........

Last edited:
I'd gladly pay that for anything ethanol free, here in DFW it's not available anywhere.

Algae can be used to make fuel, trouble is the process currently costs over 6 times the cost per a gallon (some processes over $30 gal). Does not make sense at today's prices although the price might come down if it was ever implemented on a large scale.

See www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/algae-biodiesel-its-33-a-gallon-5652

Dave

Sometimes questions are rhetorical.

But I will add that I'm much more impressed with this tech than:

• Self-driving anything
  • Faster internet
  • Drones
  • Alexia
  • 4KTV
  • VR
...or any of the other crap that billions of dollars have been poured into in the pursit of ever-fattening asses.

Here in Calgary low test is 1.25/Litre or 3.69/USGal
Next province west in Vancouver it's 1.56/Litre or 4.61/USGal

Already we are seeing news reports of people complaining that thieves have drilled holes in their fuel tanks and drained them dry. Next thing we'll need a "concealed care permit" for battery operated drills or maybe special permits to own or buy drill bits greater than 1/4" in diameter.

Got to love this millennial world we live in.

:rofl::rofl:

Here in Calgary low test is 1.25/Litre or 3.69/USGal
Next province west in Vancouver it's 1.56/Litre or 4.61/USGal

Already we are seeing news reports of people complaining that thieves have drilled holes in their fuel tanks and drained them dry. Next thing we'll need a "concealed care permit" for battery operated drills or maybe special permits to own or buy drill bits greater than 1/4" in diameter.

Got to love this millennial world we live in.

:rofl::rofl:
Geez....

Back to the 70's we go......Progress, wonderful isn't it!!....LOL

Sometimes questions are rhetorical.

But I will add that I'm much more impressed with this tech than:

• Self-driving anything
  • Faster internet
  • Drones
  • Alexia
  • 4KTV
  • VR
...or any of the other crap that billions of dollars have been poured into in the pursit of ever-fattening asses.

I would agree that algae bio diesel shows a good deal of promise. A couple of fairly vexing technical issues cause problems with this tech. Bio mass (algae) is grown in large tanks to produce the raw material. As the algae bloom matures, the tanks are drained of surplus water and the resulting sludge is run thru a press to extract the oil from the organic material. This process produces a type of vegetable oil. The oil at this point is highly contaminated with water and various types of particulate matter. The particulate is removed by an advanced filtering process. The water is then removed by either a distilling process or the use of a salt tower. Exxon has been experimenting with this technology for about 10 years now and hopes to refine the process and get the cost down someday to around $6 per gallon.

There is an alternative process that extracts the oil from the sludge using a chemical process. Both of these systems produce a low grade vegetable oil that requires significant further processing to make it a viable fuel. One of the more persistent problems with so called bio-diesel is that this fuel has a significantly higher flash point the conventional diesel. This results in excessive smoking from conventional diesel engines and crankcase oil contamination due to the poor burning characteristics of the bio diesel. Bio diesel also has very poor cold flow characteristics which causes jelling of the fuel in low ambient temperatures.
Our local transit agency attempted to run the biodiesel fuel in a limited number of buses and found it to be unfeasible because of the above mentioned factors.

I think it should be possible to redesign a diesel engine to get it to run on 100 percent biodiesel, but given that the fuel is more expensive to begin with, there is not much incentive to do so at this time. Biodiesel can be mixed with conventional diesel up to about 15% with few adverse side effects other than it is more expensive.

Dave

And ford and chevy's are planning to get rid of there small car line up and staying with trucks and suv...

I think it should be possible to redesign a diesel engine to get it to run on 100 percent biodiesel, but given that the fuel is more expensive to begin with, there is not much incentive to do so at this time.
No worries we can trust our tree hugging politicians to level the playing field with a carbon tax on the conventional fuel.

Back