Small block supercharger

slick72

Reaction score
Not sure if this is right thread but where would I find a roots type supercharger not seeing any online for my 360 I have redone motor and drivetrain looking for power now

What you might consider is a Latham-style unit. A much lower profile than any "Roots-type" unit. Also puts LESS HEAT into the incoming mixture, which means it does not need the same amount of boost to produce power. Should also take less power to run. Can usually fit under a stock hood, so no body work needed OR have to look around the taller "-71" units, as they protrude through the hood.

Might see what Holley has in their website.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

For that kind of money you can get a nice high performance crate motor. How much horsepower are you looking for. Your post says you already redid the engine. Did you build it stock or with some modifications. There are quite a bit of cars out there running fast quarter mile times without a supercharger.

If you really want to build power, TURBOCHARGE. Yep, more plumbing is needed plus an intercooler, but once turbo lag disappears, better look well down the road, because you'll be there much sooner than later.

With any kind of booster motor, I hope you allowed for a wider compression ring end gap. With the added heat of combustion under boost, the compression ring will also expand more than a normal gap will allow for, which then results in piston destruction. With the ring gap right for the boost, about 25psi of boost with stock pistons LIVE quite well. An Engine Masters video of boosting a stock Chevy 350 salvage yard motor proves this.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Not sure if this is right thread but where would I find a roots type supercharger not seeing any online for my 360 I have redone motor and drivetrain looking for power now
I'm curious... What did you do to the engine to be able to use a supercharger?

At minimum, the usual stuff is a forged crank and 8.0:1 compression with a forged piston. I'm not sure what trans and rear you have. I think it's probably a 904 with a 8 1/4" rear. If so, I'd say that 904 would have to be replaced with a 727 and it's gonna depend on a lot of things if the 8 1/4 rear is going to be a good enough rear.

Those are a few things off the top of my head. Building a blown car means doing more than bolting a blower on. A lot more.

Back