Not open for further replies.

1Fury1

Slab Side Slacker
Reaction score
Contact seller
1958 Mercury Monterey " Survivor Car " | classic cars | Calgary | Kijiji

1958 Mercury Monterey
71,000 Real Miles
Original Numbers Matching 383 C.I. MEL Motor ( 310 HP )
4500 Miles on totally rebuilt engine.
Original Holley Factory 4 Barrel Carb.
Push Botton Merc- O - Matic 3 Speed Automatic Transmission
Power Steering & New Brakes
Dealer Installed Continental Kit & Fender Skirts
ALL ORIGINAL FACTORY 2 Tone Autum Beigh & Golden Dust Paint
The Chrome & Stainless trim is perfect & complete.
Complete Fuel & Braking System was referbished due to an extended hibernation.
4 new tires installed in July 2016

This 58 year old Merc is an absolutely amazing two owner Saskatchewan "Barn Find" originally from Arkansas.

Its all real, unmolested and it cruises and runs like a dream.
The interior, carpet, dash and seats are amazing.

Comes complete with original Operators Manual, Chassis Parts & Accessory Manual & Maintenance Manual

This car is ready to cruise & enjoy !
I have driven near 1000 miles this season with zero issues.

The epitome of classic cruising land yachts !

$13,000.00 OBO

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

I remembered snapping a photo of this car at the High River show back in September
IMG_0304.JPG

mercury edsel lincoln . seats don't look like they could be original.

Who would anyone want that ugly duckling Mercury even when new when you could have had a Forward Look real car!?

1957DodgeCustomRoyalLancer1.2sideblue.jpg

Last edited:
Who would want this ugly duckling Mercury even when new when you could have had a Forward Look real car!?

1957DodgeCustomRoyalLancer1.2sideblue.jpg
Yes true. However one must consider the tastes and preferences of the day. A Merc was a bit of a status symbol. This one would be more appealing today if it lost the gawd aweful continental kit.

Yes true. However one must consider the tastes and preferences of the day. A Merc was a bit of a status symbol. This one would be more appealing today if it lost the gawd aweful continental kit.

A Mercury was a status symbol in 1958? - I don't agree, as I lived back in the day and it was no more of a status symbol than a Dodge or Desoto, especially in a 2 door sedan version, with continental kit or not. It was more accurate to say "more like a Thunderbird was a status symbol". And wasn't even Edsel more upscale than a Mercury (or at least was supposed to be according to Ford)?

And wasn't even Edsel more upscale than a Mercury (or at least was supposed to be according to Ford)?
The Edsel was positioned between the Ford and the Mercury.
It superfluously overlapped the the top of the Ford line and the bottom of the Mercury line which was a stupid move because the top of the line Ford and the cheapo Merc already overlapped.
The common misconception is that styling killed the Edsel. Not true. It just overlapped two lines within the same company when that market segment was already saturated in an unexpected downturn in car sales.
Doomed to fail. Unavoidable.
Admittedly, the vagina up front didn't help.

A Mercury was a status symbol in 1958? - I don't agree, as I lived back in the day and it was no more of a status symbol than a Dodge or Desoto, especially in a 2 door sedan version, with continental kit or not. It was more accurate to say "more like a Thunderbird was a status symbol". And wasn't even Edsel more upscale than a Mercury (or at least was supposed to be according to Ford)?
I can't speak as an authority on this era since in 58 I was still playing in the sandbox. However in the early sixties when I started paying attention to cars there were still mostly 50's cars around because most people only dreamed of buying new. My dad drove a 47 Pontiac Silver Streak. There was a Ford Mercury dealer in this small prairie town but rarely did you see a Merc. Maybe the doctor in town or the guy that owned the dealership drove one. Lots of Fords though, especially remember alot of 54-56 models. Maybe that's what formed my perception of the Mercury as a status symbol.

I liked the front end design on the edsel personally, That vertical line in the middle of those horizontal ones on the grill were pretty aesthetically pleasing. It would have worked better if the headlights weren't positioned like an afterthought way up on the top of the front end.
This one made it work
ford-edsel.jpg

By the roof line was all wrong. Why was it in the early 60s that Chrysler seemed to be the only one who could put together a good roof line.

I think there was a 3x2 carb option for 430 equipped T-Birds 58-60.

The 430 Lincoln engine was optional on 59-60 T-birds. Three duces was optional on the 390's.

59Colpk1.jpg

I like the 59 models a lot, especially the Hardtop Station wagons;
I wouldn't even trade my 38yo 200k mls BMW for a 57-58 though.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back