1970 2 door Imperial.....cl ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worth it or no? I'm thinking 3k but it is a rare Imp...

I wish I was in the market for a good project because this certainly fits the bill.

For starters, only 2,057 coupes in '70, how many do you think are left? A couple hundred, maybe? This is a rare car and would be stunning to see restored.

Stormer! Wait until you see my 69 when done. It will be low like yours, the patina'd paint will be clear coated over and she'll sound nasty. I cant wait man. Yours is cool as hell by the way. Johnny

Thank you, Mr. Miyagi. Do I get to punch anybody yet or do I have to keep waxing your car?

For starters, only 2,057 coupes in '70, how many do you think are left? A couple hundred, maybe? This is a rare car and would be stunning to see restored.

Matt I am only commenting on this since we have met personally and I think you'll know I aint trying to be a smart-a** with what I am about to say.

But your first point: aint that many to start with so there cant be that many left 40+ years later so I cant argue against it fitting the "rarity" description like you said. I am staying out of the value discussion .. what is it worth? ... as the marketplace will sort that out. I just hope it gets a chance to live on.

So the estimated number left, plus or minus 8 cars at a 90% confidence level, is 36 cars (2,057 x 1.75%). In plain speak, I am 90% confident the estimated number left is between 28 and 44 cars. If its assumed to be 200 cars, of 2,057 built that have survived 45 years later, the probability of that estimate being true goes down into the single digits -- so its very unlikely that many are left.

So how many are really left? Never gonna know that with 100% accuracy..way too many variables (crank up the ole Cray supercomputer and let it crunch on it for a few weeks) to examine.

In a past life I did a "thesis" on this topic, and in a past career we used "techniques" (proprietary..dont wanna go to jail runnin' my mouth on the Internet) to estimate how many of a particular car will be around in 10 years, 20 years, and 30 years after they are built so we could plan how many service parts to build/hold in inventory.

End of the day, the only thing we truly know is how many we started with. If it matters for business or personal reasons to try to figure how many remain, after that you gotta "guess"..with well-established statistical rigor or with plain old common sense..what the attrition rate is going to be/and vary over time.

People often ask me "how many are left" of something "rare" that I am selling? I always answer the same way: "Who knows but not many". I am gonna scan the forum threads and see if this topic-- "How many are left?" -- was discussed anywhere, and if not then post something and see if it gets any traction.

Last edited:
Peace, love & non-judgement to all newbies. I guess I failed the test...

Matt I am only commenting on this since we have met personally and I think you'll know I aint trying to be a smart-a** with what I am about to say.

But your first point: aint that many to start with so there cant be that many left 40+ years later so I cant argue against it fitting the "rarity" description like you said. I am staying out of the value discussion .. what is it worth? ... as the marketplace will sort that out. I just hope it gets a chance to live on.

So the estimated number left, plus or minus 8 cars at a 90% confidence level, is 36 cars (2,057 x 1.75%). In plain speak, I am 90% confident the estimated number left is between 28 and 44 cars. If its assumed to be 200 cars, of 2,057 built that have survived 45 years later, the probability of that estimate being true goes down into the single digits -- so its very unlikely that many are left.

So how many are really left? Never gonna know that with 100% accuracy..way too many variables (crank up the ole Cray supercomputer and let it crunch on it for a few weeks) to examine.

In a past life I did a "thesis" on this topic, and in a past career we used "techniques" (proprietary..dont wanna go to jail runnin' my mouth on the Internet) to estimate how many of a particular car will be around in 10 years, 20 years, and 30 years after they are built so we could plan how many service parts to build/hold in inventory.

End of the day, the only thing we truly know is how many we started with. If it matters for business or personal reasons to try to figure how many remain, after that you gotta "guess"..with well-established statistical rigor or with plain old common sense..what the attrition rate is going to be/and vary over time.

People often ask me "how many are left" of something "rare" that I am selling? I always answer the same way: "Who knows but not many". I am gonna scan the forum threads and see if this topic-- "How many are left?" -- was discussed anywhere, and if not then post something and see if it gets any traction.

I knew I was being generous with the 200 but its interesting and surprising to me to think that there would be less than 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back