NOT MINE 1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible / Red / Atlanta GA

This. ^^

The C-body world is in its adolescence compared to the B & E arena. We are starting to raise the bar on premium cars (where the B&E bar is already high).
We have much knowledge of correctness in a restoration, and should have the expectation that the highest-priced cars should be as accurate as possible.
But because we are not the B&E arena, a premium car can have some deviations -- i.e. the Road Wheel centercaps might not be perfect, and the shocks need not be factory-correct.

But not the simple-to-correct ones like this car. Air shocks have no place on such a car.
And the fact that they are simple to correct, doesn't mean the car should be priced as if they've already been corrected. (and that's a universal rule)
Exactly!!!

I have all kinds of stories of looking at cars that the seller wanted big $$$ for and they glossed over the little details. It makes no sense. If they spent a couple hundred bucks here and there, maybe they could get something close to what they are asking... and sell the car today rather than next month.

To make money in business, you have to keep expenses down... But if you are watching the pennies that close, you're never gonna see the dollars.

This. ^^

The C-body world is in its adolescence compared to the B & E arena. We are starting to raise the bar on premium cars (where the B&E bar is already high).
We have much knowledge of correctness in a restoration, and should have the expectation that the highest-priced cars should be as accurate as possible.
But because we are not the B&E arena, a premium car can have some deviations -- i.e. the Road Wheel centercaps might not be perfect, and the shocks need not be factory-correct.

But not the simple-to-correct ones like this car. Air shocks have no place on such a car.
And the fact that they are simple to correct, doesn't mean the car should be priced as if they've already been corrected. (and that's a universal rule)

The bar has been raised for a long time. The good cars have been getting a premium while the CBs of the board complain about prices.
I keep hearing how C body prices are starting to rise, truth is I've been hearing this for 30 years and have been watching them rise for just as long.
While not commanding Hemi car prices great original car are easily getting 30 with 40k and 50k being not surprising.

Last edited:
The bar has been raised for a long time. The good cars have been getting a premium while the CBs of the board complain about prices.
I keep hearing how C body proves are starting to rise, truth is I've been hearing this for 30 years and have been watching them rise for just as long.
While not commanding Hemi car prices great original car are easily getting 30 with 40k and 50k being not surprising.
It isn't the point of the C body prices going up, it's where this car should be valued given the flaws that we see just in the pictures.

Judging from the pics, it's a nice car but it's just not there for a premium price.

I agree that $50K may be the price for some C-bodies now, and probably more cars in the future will start hitting those figures. This one just isn't there.

And yes, I've already referred to myself as a cheap bastard.

Understand John but my point I guess is the higher premium cars go, it pulls the values of lesser cars up.
Plus the dollar this year is valued a lot less than five years ago, a lot less.

I agree that $50K may be the price for some C-bodies now, and probably more cars in the future will start hitting those figures. This one just isn't there.

We talk of premium cars commanding a high price but then auto-correlate a high price means a premium car.
That was my stance when a car sold for $35k and had stick-on wheel lip trim. But I got the red X, of course.

Understand John but my point I guess is the higher premium cars go, it pulls the values of lesser cars up.
Plus the dollar this year is valued a lot less than five years ago, a lot less.
I agree with you there.

In the long run, it will probably be good for the hobby. You'll see less cars scrapped or run in derbies. Possibly you'll see more repop parts too.

I don't want to see C-bodies go the same route that E-bodies have where people expect Barrett-Jackson prices for cars that aren't even good for parts. We see that here from time to time.

I think the car is very nice. I will give it a little bit of latitude on things like compressor, etc. I know this car spent time on the hot rod power tour, so some items were upgraded for the sake of reliability. I don't think these cars at this price yet, even for one that has been brought to this level. If it was a caddy, it would stand a better chance with a price like that. I hope he gets all the money for the car. It is a great car, and will need very little unless someone needs to have things as delivered from Mother. i'd love to see these car rise in value, as I am ready to let my u code go. But, I just cant find anything exciting enough to let it go.

Back