1972 Dodge Monaco wagon, my 1st C body Mopar!

What did the PO do with the roof rack?
He took the rack off and filled the mounting holes with bolts and clear rtv.
Nice solid score, if your roof rack is missing, and you desire a replacement.I have a complete one from a 69 wagon if they X reference.
The roof rack was included with the purchase and rode here in the rear compartment. Thank you very much for offering.

He took the rack off and filled the mounting holes with bolts and clear rtv.
The roof rack was included with the purchase and rode here in the rear compartment. Thank you very much for offering.

Forgot to include if your 3 row seat source comes up short, have seat and hardware

Some more Rock auto parts showed up today, wanted to share pics of the idler arm
20180308_225943.jpg
20180308_230003.jpg
20180308_230119.jpg

As I mentioned earlier after using the headlights for a bit, the relay began clicking and the lights were flashing on and off. A little research revealed that a corroded high beam switch could be causing the issue. So I swapped a new switch in yesterday and I haven't been able to recreate the problem since. This was the first time I've looked under the carpeting and it's fairly solid, some slight flaking, but not soft yet. It even looks better from the bottom side, thanks to the factory undercoating. I'd imagine most of the time that this would be the worst spot of the floor, so I'm in good spirits
20180309_143610.jpg
20180309_143645.jpg
20180309_144424.jpg

Blimp. The deeper you dig the more I like your '72. I'd try to find a good RUST NUTRILIZER before you put down new carpeting tho'. Nice score Man, You should be very pleased. How fare off iz the paint booth? Jer

I think all the bad mouthing Por-15 gets comes from the fact that most folks just slap in on right over the rust and wonder whats wrong when it pops off. No body thinks about the fact that first steel brushing it and then applying the nutrilizer Por-15 sells to kill what remains after the wire brush scrub and then applying Black or Silver or what ever other color Por-15 is selling now with a spung 1 1/2" brushto get an even coat after you stur it up as best you can and let it dry, The application and the metel underneath it will probably last longer then you will. I've chemicly striped rusty backing plates for ah disc conversion on a couple mopars that started life with drum /drum carz and I've kept in touch with the buyers over 25 yearz now and still get good reports every couple years. It's good stuff when you do the preperation AND application right IMHO, Jer

I think all the bad mouthing Por-15 gets comes from the fact that most folks just slap in on right over the rust and wonder whats wrong when it pops off. No body thinks about the fact that first steel brushing it and then applying the nutrilizer Por-15 sells to kill what remains after the wire brush scrub and then applying Black or Silver or what ever other color Por-15 is selling now with a spung 1 1/2" brushto get an even coat after you stur it up as best you can and let it dry, The application and the metel underneath it will probably last longer then you will. I've chemicly striped rusty backing plates for ah disc conversion on a couple mopars that started life with drum /drum carz and I've kept in touch with the buyers over 25 yearz now and still get good reports every couple years. It's good stuff when you do the preperation AND application right IMHO, Jer

Agree. I used it on my '68 Lemans currently under construction and will use it on the areas needing attention on my '73 Fury. The key, as stated, it to get the loose rust/corrosion off, but it does not have to be perfect. The stuff is thin and flows like water. Follow the POR-15 instructions which is 2 thin coats AND you want to follow up with a POR-15 top coat to seal the POR-15 rust inhibitor base. I think if anything goes wrong, it is either with the prep or not putting the top coat on to seal the base.

I learned you have to apply the coats as instructed on the can within a certain time limit. If you don't then you want to give the POR-15 plenty of time for the solvents to evaporate, and I'm talking a couple weeks. If you apply the second coat later than recommended and before it has thoroughly evaporated the solvents out, my experience was that it will "craze" or crack on you. Same goes with a top coat color - and I tried various brands of enamel spray bomb as a top coat(as well as the POR top coat) and they all did the same thing until I found that if I let it thoroughly dry a couple weeks I had no issues(the summer I did this the heat/humidity was very high which may have been a contributing factor).

POR-15 is not inexpensive. I buy only what I need in the smaller size and then pour what I need of that into a small container so I don't waste it. You don't want to put any unused POR-15 back into your original as it will contaminate it and can cause it to go bad. Use a throw-away brush to apply. Use rubber gloves as it does not come off your skin easily and if it gets in your clothes, you might as well toss them. I actually store my POR-15 in my refrigerator so as to keep its shelf life longer.

I also used Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating to get inside the frame rails. I'll also be using it for some of the floor pan supports and any other hidden areas that are not readily accessible. Eastwood Internal Frame Coating 14oz Aerosol

I used to use the Rustoleum brand rusty primer, but they changed the formula. It used to have fish oil in it and you could smell it. Now it does not seem to have it and it doesn't work as well - thank you EPA regulations.

Another good rust remover is called "Naval Jelly." Some of you may remember this. They still sell it. I got some at my local Walmart and used it to free up pistons in an engine block that looked like it had been underwater for 20 years - heavy, thick, pitted bores that I was not sure I could save. I applied the Jelly thoroughly and heavily in each bore and let it dry out until the next weekend. It dries white and I could brush it off. Then I applied another coat. Did this for about 6 weeks or so each time breaking down the rust layer. Finally got the cylinders scraped down enough to good metal to knock out the pistons. The block cleaned up at .060" over and I was able to save it.

So you might want to try this on the floor rust. Brush it on and let it set. Then come back later and wire brush it and see what you have.

You still have the roof rack?
Hi I do, but plans are to reinstall it. Are you searching for one?
A couple days ago the weather finally was nice enough to spend some time out in the driveway under the wagon.
20180412_113223.jpg
Had it up on jackstands with the intention of inspecting the wiring for the fuel sending unit. But then I noticed the lowering blocks seemed to be moving around a bit.
20180412_121407.jpg
I've been mulling around the idea lately of pulling those blocks off because of the lack of suspension travel, and this was the tipping point.
20180412_123113.jpg
And while I was disassembling things, might as well replace the shocks.
20180412_123459.jpg
20180412_171303.jpg
Finished things up, but by then I ran out of time to even look into the sending unit. Had a fun time, was nice to work on a vehicle where none of the bolts or nuts were seized

Spent some time last week installing a power seat base. It was on a set of burgundy seats that I found on Facebook. Was told they were out of a 75 Monaco coupe, which makes sense because there's a button on the side of the seat that allows them to fold forward.
20180627_093230.png
20180627_093308.png
It was really easy to pull the seat out of this wagon, the nuts spun right off the seat studs. Gotta love a car from the Pacific Northwest!
20180228_130053_001.jpg
20180620_141553.jpg
20180620_141750.jpg
Was hoping to find a silver coin or something cool, but the only things interesting was a Chuckie Cheese token from the 80s and this label on the carpeting.
20180627_094340.jpg
Swapping the bases was as simple as removing 4 bolts.
20180620_141613.jpg
20180620_141830.jpg
The trim covering the switch was different, but fortunately I found one earlier on a junkyard trip.
20180620_142620.jpg

20180620_151918.jpg

Things went together rather smoothly, here's the end result.
20180621_200639.jpg
Doesn't seem to actually travel back any farther, but it sure is nice to be able to tilt the seat back!

I like that wagon a lot. my 66 fury wagon has the factory undercoating. I just cleaned the underneath with a brush and used rubberized undercoating in spray bombs to make look new again.

I'm pretty sure that the 50/50 seats like the ones in your wagon used the same seat tracks that the bucket seat C Body's used.

I'm pretty sure that the 50/50 seats like the ones in your wagon used the same seat tracks that the bucket seat C Body's used.
If I was going to guess, I'd say you were correct. But I've been suprised before when finding a different part in a situation where something should have been shared.

Back