1972 Dodge Monaco wagon, my 1st C body Mopar!

Not sure if I've mentioned it but this wagon came from the factory as a 6 passenger. My younger daughters have have been excited about the thought of riding in a rear facing back seat. Fortunately this summer at the Volo gathering, Mike (Wonderwagon) was nice enough to sell the 3rd row seat out of his parts wagon. So yesterday my oldest son and I spent some time tearing it down and changing the color. Not finished yet, but the rattle can vinyl dye turned out pretty good. Here's a couple pictures so far.
20180922_152200.jpg
20180923_130251.jpg
20180923_130524.jpg
20180923_183606.jpg
20180924_075529.jpg

Last edited:
Geeze, the glue they used on the backing boards is some tough stuff...can't even imagine the work it takes to scrape the coating off the underside of a floorpan with a torch and a putty knife!
20180924_121138.jpg

Looks great Manny, you did a very nice job! Will need to do the same thing to my blue wagon, once I get some better pieces.
And thanks again Mike, the kids are going to get a bunch of enjoyment out of the seat. Working on the frame now
20180924_162444.jpg

A couple more pictures. Getting ready to drill holes in the floor to mount the seat brackets. Nice to see the factory put dimples exactly where they need to go.
20180924_195200.jpg
20180925_091647.jpg
20180925_100547.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more pictures. Getting ready to drill holes in the floor to mount the seat brackets. Nice to see the factory put dimples exactly where they need to go.

I love the top picture where you can see the two wagons side by side. That's a really uncommon sight these days.

The seat came out great. This will be a good test of the durability of the vinyl paint, with kids bouncing and sliding around on it.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the compliments. Manny above is really the person to talk to about pictures of two wagons together!
But here's another shot with the blue one included. Originally the plan was to use it as a parts vehicle if the need arose. But after it was shipped from Utah and I was able to inspect it in person, it's way to clean for that.
And yes I agree, we are going to test it out on the kids clothes first haha!
20180912_085642.jpg

Those panels look great! :wideyed:

Inquiring minds would love to know what they looked like before, and what you did to make them look like new.

Jeff
Those panels look great! :wideyed:

Inquiring minds would love to know what they looked like before, and what you did to make them look like new.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff i got the big panels from @saforwardlook the little one's i bought from a different guy. I cleaned them up really good and used a old school parts store that had a paint shop in it. They took the kick panel and matched the color pretty good to me 25 buck's a can.

Resized_20180731_145449.jpeg

Resized_20180731_145445.jpeg

Resized_20180719_172349.jpeg

I love the top picture where you can see the two wagons side by side. That's a really uncommon sight these days.

The seat came out great. This will be a good test of the durability of the vinyl paint, with kids bouncing and sliding around on it.

Jeff
Here you go Jeff couple pics of the wagons and my buddies 71 GT.

FB_IMG_1532302590168.jpg

20170709_103550.jpg

FB_IMG_1499621197581.jpg

Thanks! Awesome cars! Two very unusual colors for a wagon on top of that. Do you have any plans to restore them? On the one hand it would be nice to see that done, but on the other hand you'll get more use and probably more enjoyment leaving them as drivers.

Thanks Jeff i got the big panels from @saforwardlook the little one's i bought from a different guy. I cleaned them up really good and used a old school parts store that had a paint shop in it. They took the kick panel and matched the color pretty good to me 25 buck's a can.

Thanks! I see that there's been a migration of fuselage cars and parts from Steve's California stash to the upper midwest this year. It's great to see things working out that way.

One of my huge regrets was not stocking up on those rear panels for the wagons. I bought my '72 Custom Suburban in 1992, and other than some minor scratches, the green panels were in perfect condition. This was a car that had spent most of it's life outside. Therefore I had no idea how bad the '69-'71 panels, along with some colors of the '72-'73 deteriorated. At the time, there was a huge junkyard near me that had 25-30 fusey wagons in it, many of them '72-'73 with black or green interiors, and excellent panels. Sadly, I never bought any. By the time I discovered there was an issue with the panels by purchasing a '73 T&C with a parchment interior and crappy panels, most of the old cars in the yard had been crushed. Worst of all, the place charged almost nothing for interior parts. I remember one time I bought two center consoles with shifters, along with a big pile of other things, and the bill was $30. I did manage to rescue two un-cracked dashes from two of the last remaining wagons that they had. Now that I have a few fusey wagons with horrible rear panels, I'm always kicking myself for not getting them when I could.

Jeff

Thanks! Awesome cars! Two very unusual colors for a wagon on top of that. Do you have any plans to restore them? On the one hand it would be nice to see that done, but on the other hand you'll get more use and probably more enjoyment leaving them as drivers.
I've been tinkering with both of them on and off the black 70s 440 is done at the machine shop it's bored has Keith black pistons ARP head bolts new freeze plugs. Also got new cam bearings and a 507 cam getting a double roller timing chain. I wanna get the drivetrain all good in the black one so then i have time to cruise in it and do more body work. While working on the 69 and my dads 71.

Thanks! I see that there's been a migration of fuselage cars and parts from Steve's California stash to the upper midwest this year. It's great to see things working out that way.

One of my huge regrets was not stocking up on those rear panels for the wagons. I bought my '72 Custom Suburban in 1992, and other than some minor scratches, the green panels were in perfect condition. This was a car that had spent most of it's life outside. Therefore I had no idea how bad the '69-'71 panels, along with some colors of the '72-'73 deteriorated. At the time, there was a huge junkyard near me that had 25-30 fusey wagons in it, many of them '72-'73 with black or green interiors, and excellent panels. Sadly, I never bought any. By the time I discovered there was an issue with the panels by purchasing a '73 T&C with a parchment interior and crappy panels, most of the old cars in the yard had been crushed. Worst of all, the place charged almost nothing for interior parts. I remember one time I bought two center consoles with shifters, along with a big pile of other things, and the bill was $30. I did manage to rescue two un-cracked dashes from two of the last remaining wagons that they had. Now that I have a few fusey wagons with horrible rear panels, I'm always kicking myself for not getting them when I could.

Jeff
I found a yard this year that still has 9 wagons from 69 to 73 so i got a bunch of spare parts from there this year. And found some NOS spare parts for wagons and i just keep looking for more I'm going back to the yard again this year.

Well after getting the seat frame painted and comparing it to the interior, things snowballed after it was obvious the panels needed to come out and be cleaned up. Was a good thing as it enabled me to take care of a couple "nests" hidden underneath. Tossed the idea around in my head to repaint the floor, but it's more than likely going have carpet put over it so I just wiped it down. My trusty camera shy partner even helped hold the bracket bolts in place while I was underneath.
20180925_133712.jpg
20180926_102904.jpg
20180926_103359.jpg
20180926_113732.jpg

Forgot to drill the seat belt attachment points, so that's next. Should have it buttoned up today provided I'm not pulled away for something else.

Have been following this post. Your repair and finish work is top notch quality. That's how you get it done. Will be at the Ducktail Run in Gas City In. Thurs. & Fri., lots of swap parts avail. Is there anything you need. If so send pics of parts needed and cell # in PM.

Hello again David! Off the top of my head, I think I'm good at the moment. Unless you happen upon either side tail-light for a 72-73 Monaco/Polara wagon at a fair price. I picked this one up on eBay for $50 shipped. Thank you very much for asking Sir!
20180922_070750.jpg

Back