1977 Canadian Newport--Update

Pclancy

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

So i just cruised my Newport up to Pittsburgh and back--500+ miles of hard 70 MPH driving in 2 days.

Pleased to report that she ran cool, tracked straight, braked straight and otherwise behaved herself very well. Mileage was about 13 MPG and oil consumption about 1/2 quart.

Questions: My mechanic said the motor mounts "seemed weak." While I'm not sure what exactly leads him to believe that, what are the best choices for repacements if I want to replace them? Napa only has the inner bushings on special order and the internet is full of other potentially dubious repacements. Any ideas? What's the best kind?

Finally what advice do you have on transmission service? I belive I changed out the oil a couple of thousand miles ago but otherwise I doubt the transmission has even been serviced. She shifts just fine; sometimes there's a bit of a clunk when you go from park to drive. But otherwise, no issue. So I just leave it alone? Is there a case to be made for a cleaning/servicing? And where would I go that would not screw it up?

Thanks for you help as usual.

Peter

With the level of previous service work unknown doing a transmission fluid and filter change as well as a visual inspection would be prudent. In your area check with local mopar clubs to get a recommendation. If you have a 727 TF I recommend using the A518 pan gasket.

With the level of previous service work unknown doing a transmission fluid and filter change as well as a visual inspection would be prudent. In your area check with local mopar clubs to get a recommendation. If you have a 727 TF I recommend using the A518 pan gasket.

Good info Dobalovr.. who makes that A518? Frame, Mr Gasket, Permatech? I have a 727 in my 75 NYB, i've changed the pan gasket 4 times, as well as the park neutral switch and I still have a freaking leak and can't figure out where it's coming from. I've used A. rubber gasket, a thin cork gasket and now I have a sticker cork gasket. Any ideas on what / where else I should look for that DAMN leak?

Not hijacking your thread Pclancy!!..but since your car has the same transmission as mine and close to the same year, I thought it might be helpful information for both of us..

Good info Dobalovr.. who makes that A518? Frame, Mr Gasket, Permatech? I have a 727 in my 75 NYB, i've changed the pan gasket 4 times, as well as the park neutral switch and I still have a freaking leak and can't figure out where it's coming from. I've used A. rubber gasket, a thin cork gasket and now I have a sticker cork gasket. Any ideas on what / where else I should look for that DAMN leak?

Not hijacking your thread Pclancy!!..but since your car has the same transmission as mine and close to the same year, I thought it might be helpful information for both of us..

It is still available through your friendly neighborhood Dodge Dealer.

BALLZZZZ!!!!!!.....Bearing that is

If your going to service it you may want to adjust the bands also. I would check at the rear of the trans above the pan rail, there is a hole with a pin inside. The tail shaft covers it partially. It is the pivot pin for one of the band arms and there is a o-ring in the case that seals the shaft. I have seen this leak and people think it's the pan gasket because it dips onto the pan rail.

Thanks for the great advice.

Back