1978 LeBaron radio problem,

Lowe

Reaction score
Hi C Body friends. I have a 1978 LeBaron with a radio problem. It lights up and the fuse is good but no sound and the power antenna does not go up. Is there a reastat on the fire wall that controls the radio. The car also has a CB. I had a Dodge some years ago that had one. Thanks

The power antenna had a separate wire power feed that is energized when the radio is manually turned on or when the ignition switch is moved to the start/run position with the radio turned on. This would be without a separate switch to raise and lower the antenna, otherwise.

The issue of "sound" can be variable, unfortunately. Might just be bad speakers or, worst case scenario, bad amplifier outputs. Might need to dummy-up some jumper wires to one of the rear speakers for testing. Is there any static as the volume control is moved from "off" to "on" or lower volume to higher volume, or moving the f/r fader or the side-to-side fader?

What about the antenna lead-in cable? Plugged in or defective?

I believe that the particular radio chassis is not unique to the FMJ cars, but went in all Chrysler products in that model year?

In bench-checking it, be sure to have a speaker to each of the output wires. Otherwise, you might blow the output amps, as I understand it.

Just some recollections,
CBODY67

The power antenna had a separate wire power feed that is energized when the radio is manually turned on or when the ignition switch is moved to the start/run position with the radio turned on. This would be without a separate switch to raise and lower the antenna, otherwise.

The issue of "sound" can be variable, unfortunately. Might just be bad speakers or, worst case scenario, bad amplifier outputs. Might need to dummy-up some jumper wires to one of the rear speakers for testing. Is there any static as the volume control is moved from "off" to "on" or lower volume to higher volume, or moving the f/r fader or the side-to-side fader?

What about the antenna lead-in cable? Plugged in or defective?

I believe that the particular radio chassis is not unique to the FMJ cars, but went in all Chrysler products in that model year?

In bench-checking it, be sure to have a speaker to each of the output wires. Otherwise, you might blow the output amps, as I understand it.

Just some recollections,
CBODY67
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have the car in storage and have to get it home to check things out. The car only has about 18,000 miles so things that go bad as a result of use should not be an issue, or may be anyway.

Back