For Sale 1981 Imperial for Sale - Mint Low Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
I have always liked these models. The fuel injection worked well as long as you didn't have a vacuum leak anywhere in the system - if you did, they didn't run well if at all. Most were converted to carburetor due to complaints, but not all. This one has not been converted. Less than 5K miles. Being sold by a Chrysler dealer.

Chrysler: Imperial

81 Imperial Low Miles Profile.jpg
81 Imperial Low Miles Seats.jpg
81 Imperial Low Miles Side Profile.jpg
81 Imperial Low Miles Underhood.jpg
81 Imperial Low Miles Dash.jpg

Vehicle Information
  • VIN:2A3BY62J0BR135884
  • Stock:
  • Mileage:4,797
  • Color:Brown
  • Trans:3-Speed Automatic
  • Engine:5.2L V8 16V
  • MPG:
  • Drivetrain:RWD

This 1981 Chrysler Imperial is one that jumps from the history books to your garage! This Imperial is in pristine condition, like the day it drove off the assembly line. This car is believed to have original miles, although we have to sell as exempt, but everything on the car shows as such. Everything works on the Imperial including the A/C, power sunroof, radio, all power windows, locks etc. This car even has the original exhaust which is in great shape and the original delivery kit, fully intact. The white wall tires are new but are period correct. All the interior Mark Cross leather seats, carpets, headliner are all original and in new condition.

The 1981 Chrysler Imperial had a recall on the fuel injection system which changed a lot on the car, but most importantly the instrument cluster went from digital to analog. This Imperial has the original digital dash and original fuel injection system which is another reason the miles are accurate!

This car was bought by a collector out of an estate and then purchased by us in Florida. The car is absolutely stunning! There are more pictures available upon request.

Last edited:
FWIW, the factory swap from the EFM (electronic fuel management, per Chrysler speak of the era) does not require an "analog" dash. The dash has some differences in chip programming to keep the EFM fuel (DTE, MPG) functions, but it's otherwise the same dash.

Either way, beautiful car + moonroof = drool.

I don't know if I would ever own one but I can appreciate those Imperials. Still something from the 50's, 60's or early 70's would be much better.

Dave

Wow, there is a lot of controversy over this Imperial! Some of you folks have no taste!!!

I worked for the company in those years, and drove a lot of them. Let me just say that the J and R bodies were really sweet cars to drive. They handled great (some were cop cars), they were quiet and refined, and were just excellent overall IMO.

I don't have a problem liking various designs and even cars from various manufacturers. Such hangups make life less enjoyable. Get over it!!!

Last edited:
I believe Cadillac (and Rolls-Royce before them) did a better job of the "bustle" or add-on trunk. Other than that, it's just another J-body, which is just another M-body, which is just another F-body.

no one needs a car with a add on trunk (imperial, Cadillac)

No need for any car since the last C-bodies died

I had an '82 in Glacier Blue. Loved it. Would certainly own another one down the road if the right opportunity came along. As for this particular car, not a fan of the color and it does not have the snowflake rims, otherwise looks to be a real nice ride.

I remember those when new as all of you do and hated cars of the era's styling for the most part but I thought Chryco really hit a home run with this one and still do. Never drove one though.

ways liked these models. The fuel injection worked well as long as you didn't have a vacuum leak anywhere in the system - if you did, they didn't run well if at all. Most were converted to carburetor due to complaints, but not all. This one has not been converted. Less than 5K miles. Being sold by a Chrysler dealer.

You thinking of adding this to the collection or daily driving it?

I really like them and have wanted one for a long time. I saw a real nice one sitting in the "museum" at Papa's Dodge. As I was looking and admiring, Mrs. Big John took one look and said "God this is fugly".

So... I probably won't be bidding on this one......

You thinking of adding this to the collection or daily driving it?

No, I was really just admiring the car - I am doing a better job at self control these days. I have too many I already don't drive and if this were added to my collection, I wouldn't have the guts to "ruin" it by using it. But then I am asking myself what am I saving them for?? I am not getting any younger so I should drive them dammit!!

I am sure Carsten can agree with me on at least that! :p

My current Frank Sinatra with one year only sun roof option! Still injected!! Have owned about six over the last 28 years. three were injected and am good friends with owner of my first 81, its still injected, I sold in 93 to buy my 82 Frank that I sold in 13 to buy my current 81 Frank! Timeless styling!! A challenge to keep running!!

DSCN0454.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back