40 Years Ago Today...

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
40 years ago today, 29 December 1976, I started my first day of CBT as a U.S. Soldier. I was lucky to get the Vietnam GI Bill. I was one of the very last Soldiers to get the Vietnam GI Bill. The Vietnam GI Bill ended on 31 December 1976. I originally wanted to party one more time and start the Army after the New Year's but my recruiter says no, no, no you are screwing up if you don't go on active duty before December 31st 1976. Another one of those rare times where I actually listened to somebody and made the right decision. LOL. My original intent was to serve three years and get out. I enjoyed the first three years and decided I was going to reenlist and go all the way to 20 years service and retire. I did serve 20 years and I was all over the world. Mostly in Europe and the Middle East. I served 15.5 years out of 20 years on deployments. I retired at the end of 1996. I can't believe it's been another 20 years since I retired from the Army. I'm hoping the clock slows down. LOL.

Last edited:
That's quite an anniversary Bob, you should be proud and many thanks from the Motor City!:usflag:

Thank you for your service to this great country. My dad was a lifer, 6 years Navy 1943-1949. 14 years Army 1950-1964.

Thank you for your service!
My father-in-law did 25 in the Navy and served in theater in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam Nam. I have nothing but respect for those willing to sacrifice it all in service to our nation.

40 years ago today, 29 December 1976, I started my first day of CBT as a U.S. Soldier. I was lucky to get the Vietnam GI Bill. I was one of the very last Soldiers to get the Vietnam GI Bill. The Vietnam GI Bill ended on 31 December 1976. I originally wanted to party one more time and start the Army after the New Year's but my recruiter says no, no, no you are screwing up if you don't go on active duty before December 31st 1976. Another one of those rare times where I actually listened to somebody and made the right decision. LOL. My original intent was to serve three years and get out. I enjoyed the first three years and decided I was going to reenlist and go all the way to 20 years service and retire. I did serve 20 years and I was all over the world. Mostly in Europe and the Middle East. I served 15.5 years out of 20 years on deployments. I retired at the end of 1996. I can't believe it's been another 20 years since I retired from the Army. I'm hoping the clock slows down. LOL.

Bob: I so much appreciate your years of service. And please note. . . The clock only speeds up, from here on out. . .

Last edited:
Back