65 Fury 440/ 4 speed updates

65Fury440

Reaction score
I haven't been on here much, been in the garage working on the car a lot.
I finally finished up my stroker build and got it installed.
All I can say is, Hooooly chit. It runs so good. The torque is amazing.
It was a **** ton of work, rebuilt the trans,cleaning, painting, etc etc etc, but I'm happy now it's closer to done. (as if).
Here's a video breaking the engine in.
Video by phoenixtampa
motor.jpg
bellhousing.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful, Doug. What's your guestimate on how many ponies.

I'm not even going to guess. I'll be visiting a chassis dyno soon enough.

Larry Smith ported and polished the TF heads, and the 337 Intake. I'm 10.2-1 CR, The cam is Mechanical Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 288/292, Lift .616/.620 with 1.6 rockers.

He seems to think I'll be about 600/600 plus.
I still only have an 850 Demon,so that's probably hurting it.

I want to get the motor looser before really cranking on it, but I have done a couple pulls easing into it from about 2500 rpm.I have my tach light set for 6500,and at that point it's still pulling hard.Really hard.

I may have been counter productive having the heads/ intake ported. I wanted it all done by 6500. I guess it is what it is now.

The weak link is the 8 3/4, I'm afraid to do anything in 1st gear, Dana and connectors coming soon.

Thanks for the props guys.
There aren't many people I can share my excitement with that 'get it'.
head.jpg
head1.jpg

don't get aggressive with the clutch and it could live along life . what type disc are you running , i've had my friction guy build me a cussy one from bullet proof vest matl's . it lives forever and softened the contact . towtrucks use that type matl's .

Yes I agree. I had a Mcleod singe disc behind the old motor, worked fine but...went with this setup and a new steel Centerforce flywheel.

McLeod RST Street Twin Clutch Kits 6913-02

Again, I haven't hammered on it yet, but pedal effort is light, it engages really nice and smooth. They rate it to 800 HP.
Mcleod recommends a 500 mile break in, no holeshots for me anyhow.

hope she works out fine . it sure sounds like a fun ride . i liked the way my 65 880 handles at speed , it holds the road .

Thanks. Totally agreed. Driving an old car is like therapy. Sometimes I just go for a ride for an attitude adjustment.

Looks like such fun,,I am impressed! You stroked it to what? Did you use a 440 source crank? How was the quality of the parts?

I have the 4.375x 4.350 kit, advertised as a 528 CI., actually 520.16 with a .030 overbore.

The kit came from Source balanced, the machinist re checked it and said it was fine the way it was but balanced it more. And charged me for it. :icon_fU:

I ordered upgraded ARP rod bolts and upgraded bearings.

Honestly, the Source stuff all came through just great, so far anyhow. I've had it up to about 6700 rpms, no kabooms. (the guys at 440 Source are really decent to work with, they feel 7k is a safe RPM, if your oiling system is sufficient, even more)

I'm really happy, it runs on 90 octane non ethanol pump gas with 36 degrees in at 2200, no vacuum advance. I heard slight pinging once when I was lugging it seating the rings, it took a lot.

I was really worried about oil leaks, but have none, so that's cool too. I clocked the rear seal and used "Right Stuff" on the retainer sides.

I think finding a good machinist is the harder part of the equation than worrying about the Source parts. I got lucky with the guy I found, he went way beyond my expectations.
He made a few suggestions I had not even thought about.

That is awesome, still wiping the drool off of the keyboard. When you get it broke in we will need some action video's:D

What's the rear end ratio and compression ratio?

you should replace those axles with moser or strange . don't put green bearing though . timken tapper usa made . could also upgrade the driveline and u-joints to larger ones and new yokes , without getting deep into it . that will assure save operation for awhile .

What's the rear end ratio and compression ratio?
10:1 and currently 3.23.

you should replace those axles with moser or strange . don't put green bearing though . timken tapper usa made . could also upgrade the driveline and u-joints to larger ones and new yokes , without getting deep into it . that will assure save operation for awhile .

I have something better sitting in the garage. 3.54 ratio.
dana.jpg

Back