66 polara rear axle pinion stuck

ian taylor

Reaction score
Greetings from across the pond, 66 polara convertible with a 742 rear end, got the pinion nut and washer off, tried a lot of brute force with a 2 leg puller but the pinion refuses to budge... any ideas?

Greetings from across the pond, 66 polara convertible with a 742 rear end, got the pinion nut and washer off, tried a lot of brute force with a 2 leg puller but the pinion refuses to budge... any ideas?
Are you trying to remove the flange or the pinion gear itself?

If it's the gear, it should slide out the back with a couple taps with a soft face hammer. That is, of course, after removing the flange, ring gear and carrier.

If you are removing the flange, the puller should get it, but perhaps a little heat might help.

I've never been there myself, but from what I see the flange (that's what it's called in the service manual) should just slide out. Does this video help?

I've never been there myself, but from what I see the flange (that's what it's called in the service manual) should just slide out. Does this video help?

unfortunately not at all help, mine is really stuck, wary of stripping the small threads if i make up a plate.... the only thing on the car that isn't over engineered 8(

The puller arms should be able to reach the backside of the flange, but maybe not grab very well. If you can apply some good force using a puller, then take an ordinary propane plumbing torch to the flange and heat it up, I bet that will do it. I did the same thing for the pitman arm, I had a massive removal tool and could not get the arm off, but less than 30 seconds with a torch and it came off with a loud crack.

The puller arms should be able to reach the backside of the flange, but maybe not grab very well. If you can apply some good force using a puller, then take an ordinary propane plumbing torch to the flange and heat it up, I bet that will do it. I did the same thing for the pitman arm, I had a massive removal tool and could not get the arm off, but less than 30 seconds with a torch and it came off with a loud crack.
yup that was my next line of attack.... was wary as i've not stripped one of these before.... and there's always someone out there who may know a better way! cheers for the help

Back