'67 C body production info aka "How many?"

69CoronetRT

Reaction score
Many of you know I'm a 'number's guy'. I recently bought the '67, '68 and '69 editions of the Wards Automotive yearbooks that are filled with all sorts of production information for the automotive industry on a model or calendar year basis.

To my knowledge, there is not a lot of C body options and accessories reports available to the general public as there are later years B and E body info.

So...here's some.

The one chart tells us about what percentage of which makes came with specific options. So 1967 Fury owners, about 0.3% of the 266,356 Fury's made in the US, came with a four speed. That's about 800 cars. Polara owners, about 0.1 percent of the 55,588 Polaras made in the US came with a four speed. (about 56 cars)

Chart two gives us a break down of make built by factory. If you compare the plant production figures to the '66 model year, you can see the migration of production out of Detroit/Michigan to other states. On can also see how much production ramped up at the Belvedere plant between MY 1966 and 1967.

This reports total US production regardless of where the units were actually sold. Meaning cars sold in the US, Canada or Exported could be included in this number.

Canada built cars, regardless of whether they were exported to the US or sold in Canada, are reported separately but only by total production. The year book does not provide a break down by make or how Canada built cars were equipped.

In the end, we don't wind up with a complete picture, but we do at least gain some insight into production and options.

Enjoy and use the data responsibly. ;)

67_Wards01.jpg
67_Wards02.jpg
67_Wards03.jpg

I'm glad you got these finally. I've been telling like minded numbers people, like you about these books for 25 years.......

Looking forward to seeing your interpretation of the data.

So 1967 US Polara (presumably including Monaco) sales is 55,588 ?

An article written by "James C. Mays" in 2006 (posted on oldcarscanada.com in 2011) gives Canadian '67 Monaco and Polara sales as follows:

===============
Dodge Polara and Polara 500 had racked up 18,912 units delivered, giving it 11th place in the domestic sales race. The Dodge Monaco and base Polara added another 13,273 sales for the calendar year.

===============

If correct, that gives total Canadian Monaco/Polara sales as 32185. I find these numbers somewhat strange, it would mean that the Monaco/Polara was a far more popular car in Canada vs the US if you go by the 10:1 population ratio rule.

So 1967 US Polara (presumably including Monaco) sales is 55,588 ?

An article written by "James C. Mays" in 2006 (posted on oldcarscanada.com in 2011) gives Canadian '67 Monaco and Polara sales as follows:

===============
Dodge Polara and Polara 500 had racked up 18,912 units delivered, giving it 11th place in the domestic sales race. The Dodge Monaco and base Polara added another 13,273 sales for the calendar year.

[/URL][/URL]
===============

If correct, that gives total Canadian Monaco/Polara sales as 32185. I find these numbers somewhat strange, it would mean that the Monaco/Polara was a far more popular car in Canada vs the US if you go by the 10:1 population ratio rule.

He's reporting data on a CALENDAR year. The data I posted is for MODEL year so the two reports do not mix and match. I'd like to see his documentation for 'sold' numbers.

The number 55,588 is built in the US. And according to the plant production numbers, they were all built at the Belvedere plant.

Don't mix 'built' and 'sold'. Not all US built cars were sold in the US. Not all cars built in Canada were sold in Canada. Sold is a different topic than built. By the 1967 MY, the trade agreement was really ramping up and more cars built in Canada were being exported to the US.

Last edited:
looking thru your data is there any Info to help determine production regarding how many CE23L77 fastbacks were made in 1967?
in addition, mine is a Non A/C Manual steering and disc brake car.any help would be greatly appreciated,,,!

Many of you know I'm a 'number's guy'. I recently bought the '67, '68 and '69 editions of the Wards Automotive yearbooks that are filled with all sorts of production information for the automotive industry on a model or calendar year basis.

To my knowledge, there is not a lot of C body options and accessories reports available to the general public as there are later years B and E body info.

So...here's some.

The one chart tells us about what percentage of which makes came with specific options. So 1967 Fury owners, about 0.3% of the 266,356 Fury's made in the US, came with a four speed. That's about 800 cars. Polara owners, about 0.1 percent of the 55,588 Polaras made in the US came with a four speed. (about 56 cars)

Chart two gives us a break down of make built by factory. If you compare the plant production figures to the '66 model year, you can see the migration of production out of Detroit/Michigan to other states. On can also see how much production ramped up at the Belvedere plant between MY 1966 and 1967.

This reports total US production regardless of where the units were actually sold. Meaning cars sold in the US, Canada or Exported could be included in this number.

Canada built cars, regardless of whether they were exported to the US or sold in Canada, are reported separately but only by total production. The year book does not provide a break down by make or how Canada built cars were equipped.

In the end, we don't wind up with a complete picture, but we do at least gain some insight into production and options.

View attachment 655430View attachment 655431View attachment 655432
Kudos to you for sharing this information. I have a number of years of those Ward's Annuals, and when you go through them carefully, you realize that what they're printing is Calendar Year information, not model year information. So it's not exactly useless, but almost.

The earliest SG30s I'm aware of, go back to 1960 but are vague to the point of being almost useless too. All cars under a particular platform i.e. A, B, C and so on are lumped together. So you have to look carefully to spot options unique to a convertible or pick out 9passenger wagons. The Canadian SG30 for '67 (which is the earliest one I have) is broken down into better detail and it's possible to identify specific options to specific body styles.

I'm up to my ears in organizing the WPC National Meet this year. It's held in Windsor from August 6 -11, and everybody on the Cbody site is welcome to attend. WPC Club membership is not required. I'll post a flyer about the show in the next few days and anybody who has questions can ask.

looking thru your data is there any Info to help determine production regarding how many CE23L77 fastbacks were made in 1967?
in addition, mine is a Non A/C Manual steering and disc brake car.any help would be greatly appreciated,,,!
My source says 26,563 '67 2dr HT Newports were made that year. With your options, it would be a WAY lower number. My guess would be less than 25.

Kudos to you for sharing this information. I have a number of years of those Ward's Annuals, and when you go through them carefully, you realize that what they're printing is Calendar Year information, not model year information. So it's not exactly useless, but almost.

The earliest SG30s I'm aware of, go back to 1960 but are vague to the point of being almost useless too. All cars under a particular platform i.e. A, B, C and so on are lumped together. So you have to look carefully to spot options unique to a convertible or pick out 9passenger wagons. The Canadian SG30 for '67 (which is the earliest one I have) is broken down into better detail and it's possible to identify specific options to specific body styles.

I'm up to my ears in organizing the WPC National Meet this year. It's held in Windsor from August 6 -11, and everybody on the Cbody site is welcome to attend. WPC Club membership is not required. I'll post a flyer about the show in the next few days and anybody who has questions can ask.

Data in the Wards book is listed by both calendar and model year depending on the topic. The pages I posted cite model year and only US production.

One has to use the data responsibly. It's difficult to reconcile model and calendar year data from that era as you have to account for major body style changes affecting sales of new models and styling as well as assigning July/August production to the proper model year.

My source says 26,563 '67 2dr HT Newports were made that year. With your options, it would be a WAY lower number. My guess would be less than 25.

It's a common exercise and many people attempt to but without accurate factory data, it's not possible to reliably estimate production. Producton could be 1, his car, or 10,000. There is no way to know.

It's a common exercise and many people attempt to but without accurate factory data, it's not possible to reliably estimate production. Producton could be 1, his car, or 10,000. There is no way to know.
Couldn't be anywhere near 10,000 as less than 5% had manual steering. With 92K Newports made that year, that means less than 5000 had manual steering. Add the fact that over half (62%) had A/C and his car doesn't, and only 6.2% had disc brakes, and that this car has a 440 instead of the standard 383, and it becomes a very rare animal.

Couldn't be anywhere near 10,000 as less than 5% had manual steering. With 92K Newports made that year, that means less than 5000 had manual steering. Add the fact that over half (62%) had A/C and his car doesn't, and only 6.2% had disc brakes, and that this car has a 440 instead of the standard 383, and it becomes a very rare animal.

Are you using global Chrysler installation percentages from above and applying them to a sub model? You can't do that as there is no documentation that a global percentage applies to ALL models.

The installation rate of an option varies by model. One hundred percent of Road Runners and GTXs received V8 engines. One cannot use the /6 percentage listed for Belvederes and apply that to RRs and GTXs.

One cannot take a 62% A/C install rate for all Chryslers and apply that to only Newports.

This is WHY we have to be very careful when using information like the Ward's data. Information becomes misinterpreted and misused to try and fill in the gaps when the info does not exist or documented information is not widely published.

If and only if the factory information shows up, and I'd love to see it, can we be more precise on our interpretation and claims.

As stated in the original post.....Enjoy and use the data responsibly. ;)

thank you all for being Interested in the 67'. I thought the car's history to be even more Interesting!
The car was a special order as documented on the data plate.

The car was owned by the original owner until 1980 or so I was told, (and confirmed when I found a letter to the state pleading for release from that hospital in the glove compartment dated 1980 )
He had prior to that parked the car at the local gas station, where he had contracted to have the front suspension to be rebuilt

However, Shortly after that while in the hospital, he unexpectedly passed on. The car sat then sat behind the station in limbo Until 1996,(approximately) when some new owners wanted to buy the building and tear it down . But they then found the chrysler, so they called the local tow truck operator to remove the car.

The local tow truck driver then picked up the car, and almost took it to the scrap yard, until he opened the hood and saw chrome valve covers. So he called his boss and told him what he saw. They decided to store it, and put it up for sale once a title was secured I can only assume.

Then I found it and moved it to my place. In 1998 I got it started, (after 18 years) and having glass packs and some 108 octane I dumped in it, the beast popped right off, and boy did it make some exhaust noise!
And now to this day I look at it daily, and am endlessly amazed at the charmed life the Newport has led. It is so plain jane, it is not even a custom,,,,

I just thought everyone would like to hear a strange story of an old Chrysler, now 57 years old!

The original purchase agreement was also in the glove compartment, showing the black painted top cost a whopping $17.00! Lol

1967 chrysler 440.jpg

Last edited:
Back