69 300 hubcaps

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a beautiful set of original hubcaps for my 69 300 vert. After working on car for 2 years finally put or tried to put hubcaps on the car.
Wheels appear to be original and I know caps are. Question is that my caps do not go on flush with rim? Is it normal for caps to be about 1/2 to 3/4 out from wheel. I have a large rubber mallet and started beating up caps. They were like that when I got the car.

I have a beautiful set of original hubcaps for my 69 300 vert. After working on car for 2 years finally put or tried to put hubcaps on the car.
Wheels appear to be original and I know caps are. Question is that my caps do not go on flush with rim? Is it normal for caps to be about 1/2 to 3/4 out from wheel. I have a large rubber mallet and started beating up caps. They were like that when I got the car.

IMG_5793.jpeg
IMG_5784.jpeg
IMG_5764.jpeg

Zoom in to see - they fit pretty tightly. Are you sure the rims are correct? Mine nearly go on with a couple hits with my fist. I do use a mallet now

Just looked at your profile pic- are those the hubcaps you’re using? They look like New Yorker caps?

Very nice car. Here is my original hubcaps. They are 3 piece and about 12 lbs each. Yours look like new Yorker caps.

IMG_20240509_073618107_HDR.jpg

Do you have a dealer brochure? Mine are the standard 300 caps as they appear in the ads ( they have 300 written on them in the center). I also have a set of 69 New Yorker similar to yours, but the differences lead me to believe yours are from a 70 or later year- perhaps someone else can chime in on this?

I'll have to go on the parts manual later and find them again. Last time, mine were correct but I'll make sure. Still should fit. All the wheels are 15 that era I believe

Very sharp- I love color combo. I take it you did mechanical- did you have it painted / body work too?

Very sharp- I love ale it you did mechanical- did you have it painted / body work too?
I rebuilt everything. Master mechanic w/ degree for 35 years. It had no wreck damage just little door bangs here and there. I patched them but I suck at body work. Friend in my church, who's father was good friend before he died, owns a body shop. He said he'd paint it and take care of me. When I picked it up, he said no charge. That was a huge blessing.

I had a maroon one like yours in 74 and got shipped to Asia. Mine had white top and white leather. Had to get rid of it. Got this one 2 years ago.

I didn't put the reflectors back on. I found some lights at Amazon that were the right size and hooked them up to the running lights.

Love to see more pics- front, interior and engine. Yes, very blessed you are for having someone to do the paint and such. It’s one of the most costly things in this hobby of ours! I actually noticed those little pop out lights on the side - a wise choice if you are driving at night no doubt. Funny you mentioned ‘Asia’ I actually bought mine from a Vietnam vet about 6 or 7 years ago. I still keep in touch with him as he very much appreciated the car but knew it was time to move it along. Interested in knowing your decisions on a number of things…

Back