For Sale '69 Mercury Marauder X100 FS OH. Craigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
All kind of a moot point, don'tcha think.
Every Mopar, GM, and FoMoCo full sized 2dr. with a big mo-fo V8 and outrageous sexy looks could all be equipped comparably.

That's pretty true, and part of what sunk the 300 model by '71.

Back in the 50s, a high-priced 300 was the only way to get a top performance car in the smaller Chrysler body, with all the luxo options. By the 60s, there was no difference in any Chrysler wheelbase and you could get any performance engine in any model, with any options. Oh yeah, you could do the same with a Dodge or a Plymouth.

By listening to dealers (most of whom would sell their mother) rather than "protecting" their market position, Chrysler killed their premium margins in pursuit of volume. It's a problem that plagues them (and to a lesser extent, GM/Ford) to this day.

Naturally, I'm partial to the '69 -'70 full-size Mercurys and Galaxies. :)

This Impala SS 427, I suppose, is the GM full-size muscle entry.
th

By listening to dealers (most of whom would sell their mother) rather than "protecting" their market position, Chrysler killed their premium margins in pursuit of volume. It's a problem that plagues them (and to a lesser extent, GM/Ford) to this day.

Amen Brother! The only thing Premium about FCA is the price they charge. When I started in this business the Chrysler Brand meant something. It was our Cadillac/Lincoln. If you had a Chrysler you had a luxury car. Today Chrysler has been demoted to red headed step child of the company. No separate marketing to be seen unless it is the 200. Imported from Detroit worked for a bit but what have they done lately? The Pacifica? At the "Premium" price they are asking only "Old Men in Hats" can afford them. The affordable Magic Wagon is dead. FCA is more concerned with competing against BMW's and Merc's with the Grand Cherokee than it's traditional rivals Expeditions and Tahoe's. In what world does the average Joe need a $77000 Sport Utility to drive downtown? Sorry for the rant but being in the industry then and now is frustrating. Give me a 5th Ave or a LHS '94 vintage any day over a 200!

This, along with the Galaxie Fastback, are so ignored by the Ford muscle car guys. Never understood why, since (at least from my POV) they are just as much a "muscle car" as a Torino, etc.
As far as I can tell, Ford guys are all about Mustangs. Anything else is an also-ran.

As far as I can tell, Ford guys are all about Mustangs. Anything else is an also-ran.
Probably true for a lot of them. There are quite a few Fairlane, Thunderbird and Torino enthusiasts though. I like all of those, but I also like the F-1 and F-100 trucks, most Mercurys and all Galaxies made between 1960 and 1970. :)

For those who have never seen one, here's a 1960 Meteor (Canadian Mercury). Quite rare now.
1960+Mercury+Meteor+Montcalm.JPG

th

I like!

Probably true for a lot of them. There are quite a few Fairlane, Thunderbird and Torino enthusiasts though. I like all of those, but I also like the F-1 and F-100 trucks, most Mercurys and all Galaxies made between 1960 and 1970. :)

For those who have never seen one, here's a 1960 Meteor (Canadian Mercury). Quite rare now.
1960+Mercury+Meteor+Montcalm.JPG

th

I like!

Believe it or not, I'm supposed to look at a '60 Meteor wagon (2dr!) when I head to Phoenix next week. How many of those exist?! Not for me, but a friend who loves 2dr wagons.

Since everyone is talking Mercury here I figure I would put myself out to the pitchfork crowd here but, I just saved a 1975 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 door hardtop (not a true hardtop) from becoming a derby victim. It has 57,xxx original miles and has a 460/C6/ Ford 9 inch. Headlights (work for now) and is a color even Kermit himself would love. It also has the power mini vent windows.

1975marquis.jpg

Since everyone is talking Mercury here I figure I would put myself out to the pitchfork crowd here but, I just saved a 1975 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 door hardtop (not a true hardtop) from becoming a derby victim. It has 57,xxx original miles and has a 460/C6/ Ford 9 inch. Headlights (work for now) and is a color even Kermit himself would love. It also has the power mini vent windows.

I'm replying from inside the mothership right now and say "good save"! No pitchforks from me.

Thank you Carmine. I picked this thing up for fairly cheap at around $2400 and its fairly local here. It runs and drives fairly decent. Headlight doors work for now like I said (vacuum) and the A/C works as well. This is my first time straying away from Mopars but, I figure I would try my hand at this big ole Mercury and see what happens or doesn't happen.

Yeah, it's one of those purchases I shouldn't made but, the price was right. It's kind of a odd beast. It's a Marquis Brougham and not a Grand Marquis. But, it's loaded and I need to look at what else. I know it has the power mini vent windows, power windows/locks, cruise, tilt wheel? and cornering lamps. I need to see if it has the 3.00 rear ratio and the power trunk release.

Yeah, it's one of those purchases I shouldn't made but, the price was right. It's kind of a odd beast. It's a Marquis Brougham and not a Grand Marquis. But, it's loaded and I need to look at what else. I know it has the power mini vent windows, power windows/locks, cruise, tilt wheel? and cornering lamps. I need to see if it has the 3.00 rear ratio and the power trunk release.

More pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back