'71 Sport Fury

TheFearlessFury

Reaction score
So I see a lot of people doing this, where they create threads for their projects and I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of pictures of it yet, I was too busy working on it over the summer and fall to really think about taking pictures of it.

Anyhow I got it from a guy on Ebay, Bob Washburn, I just kind of randomly stumbled upon it and I have always wanted a Fuselage style Fury coupe. So when I saw thing thing come up for 2000$ I had to have it. It looked pretty ratty, even from the pictures, and it didn't even run right from the description, But it wasn't just a Fury coupe, it was a Sport Fury. So I pretty much had to have it. It was basically my dream car. I know that sounds wierd, most people my age, if they are even into classics, seem to lust after GTOs and Chevelles. But for me it was all about the Fuselage Fury.

I should also mention that the guy was selling it for a the guy who runs Desert Classics, It's an alright site, but a lot of their inventory is pretty steep. I only wish I knew more about my car. The only thing I do know is that it visited Yellowstone in '76. According to a sticker in the window.

So I eventually got it, ended up costing me almost a grand to ship it from Montana to Wisconsin. I ended up salvaging what I could from my old '68 Fury II, which was basically toasted (The engine developed a crack in the block that was really nasty.) and around 200$s later the '71 was up and running, no problem.

I haven't really done a lot to it so far, Just a timing chain replacement, a radiator replacement, new tires, new gas tank. Other odds and ends like that. But I just ordered a set of quarter panels I intend to put on. I'm really excited about that. Too bad I won't be able to afford to paint the Fury for a couple years.

Here are the pictures. Had all of them on my phone.

2015-12-23 19.01.30.jpg

20151120_232220.jpg

2015-11-10 09.14.06.jpg

Whats the next step? Hunting for stuff, or are you just waiting to paint?

Hard to beat a fusey Sport Fury. Congradulations.
Did they tell you it was brown with green interior.....?

Whats the next step? Hunting for stuff, or are you just waiting to paint?
Pretty much hunting for stuff, Maybe I'll try my hand at warming up the 2bbl 360 it came with. I thought it was cool that it came with the first year LA 360. Too bad the LA 360 isn't exactly the quickest engine around. Not that I'm trying to build the car up for drags or anything, I just want a little more out of it.

I'm currently looking for fenders and fender extentsions. Also that one piece the goes under the rear bumper. Not sure what it's called. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of money, I'm also going full time to a university.
Hard to beat a fusey Sport Fury. Congradulations.
Did they tell you it was brown with green interior.....?
Thanks man, It's actually got a brown interior, So currently it's brown on brown. Brown with a green interior might be a little much lol. I'm thinking of painting it dark gray blue, with white stripes where the trim currently is.
Eating Cheeseburgers?
You know it man. I love cheeseburgers more than life. If you're ever in La Crosse WI you gotta try out Beef and ETC, best cheap burgers money can buy.

Sorry were are so far apart, have all that. Don't beat up the 360, good engine.

It was on ebay, they were kind of hard to find anywhere else. I forget who was selling it but the only issue I saw was that it didn't have a hole cut for the side indicators.

Hah I'll try not to blow my 360 up

Nice ride, keep updating with photo's. Post what you're looking for, pretty good network here.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Are the quarters too far gone or can you just fashion patch panels?
Yeah they are really bad. I can post a picture of them later. They ate rusted and bondo'd to oblivion. I hope the quarters I ordered are decent.

Nice ride, keep updating with photo's. Post what you're looking for, pretty good network here.
Thanks I will, I appreciate any help I can get

Looking forward to seeing your progress. It's always good to see one saved.

"Economy grade panel made in Canada "- I don't know of anything worse, but have not heard of anything better. Hopefully you can use what you need to patch what needs patching.
I have not heard of anyone being able to hang a full quarter, but it will be great for the lower work, especially if you are into the wheel arch. Plus, you'll have metal left over.

I'll probably have to have someone else do the actual labor, I don't really know anything about welding. I don't think I got ripped off or anything though.

Yeah I've never really seen anything else as far as rear quarters for a 71 fury before.

I took a few more pictures of the Fury just a bit ago, check em out boys.

20160208_135438.jpg

20160208_135456.jpg

20160208_135503.jpg

20160208_135611.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing your progress. It's always good to see one saved.

"Economy grade panel made in Canada "- I don't know of anything worse, but have not heard of anything better. Hopefully you can use what you need to patch what needs patching.
I have not heard of anyone being able to hang a full quarter, but it will be great for the lower work, especially if you are into the wheel arch. Plus, you'll have metal left over.
Yeah I guess I must have been thinking of the fender that I was looking at. That's the one that came from an old garage. Are these quarters going to work or not? As you can see from that one picture I posted of my car's quarters they are pretty rough. Rusted through in that one section, and bondo'd to hell in the others. it's pretty much the worst in that area behind the tires. Otherwise the rest is ehhhh... decent I think. It's hard to tell with all of the bondo. I won't really know until I get started. The trunk has a few small holes in it too.

I was planning on taking it to my uncle, who has a welding shop. That is if I can actually get him to work on my car for a decent rate. Anyhow under those circumstances do you guys think they could be made to work?

Back