73 chrysler new yorker do i need lead replacement additive

sidsnot

Reaction score
been putting unleaded in seem to run ok ,but i put my foot down for a bit and then took foot off gas and engine was revving high ,pulled over took air filter off to look at carb and that was very hot ,sat for 10 min then drove ok.do they have a temperature gauge cant see one not got a manual.just wondered if it was hot as im not putting lead replacement additive in tank.any help thanks

Lead additive won't make any difference in any of the issues you are having.

In fact, lead additive won't make any difference period.

You can go to lordco and ask for oil additives for flat bottom lifters. Gm has their version, so do the aftermarket racing companies. As far as fuel additives go there is nothing you can do. Only thing you can do is get hardened valve seats.

This list consistently gives the best advice I've seen online, and what you've received above is no different. A 73 NY does not need lead additives.

As per the exerpt of the article at link, Chrysler started installing hardened exhaust seats in 1972:

"All these heads were minor variations on the 346 casting from 1971, with differences associated with durability details such as hardened valve seats, improved crack resistance, and an enlarged guide boss in the valve seal area."

Cylinder Heads Part I - Tech Articles - Mopar Muscle Magazine

You can go to lordco and ask for oil additives for flat bottom lifters. Gm has their version, so do the aftermarket racing companies. As far as fuel additives go there is nothing you can do. Only thing you can do is get hardened valve seats.

You already have hardened seats. Chrysler did hardened seats years before GM and before unleaded gas.

If you feel it's running hot you have a cooling problem. Gauges are nice, but you can run a decent amount of time (long enough to get to an exit) even with the "hot" light on. These are big ol' dumb hunks of iron, not Ferraris made of glass and paper mache.

Test your hot light by turning on the key (not start). The hot light should come on for a moment. If yes, the system works.

Back