For Sale '78 New Yorker St Regis Coupe FS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, if someone gave me that car I'd be thrilled - and we do get where you are coming from.

Point is - GR Auto Gallery has had that '78 NYB for over a year now. They must look at NADA and Hagerty and know that that car is not just overpriced, it's WAY WAY WAY overpriced. So why does it just sit there? Isn't the point to move these vehicles???

At 7-9k, I'd look at that NYB - but even the with greatest sentimentality.....hard pressed to drop that kind of premium for something even at the level of "can't live without".

There are very nice Formal's for $4-$6k all over the county and pop up here all the time too.

Question for the crew!!! I am very interested in a formal currently lives in Canada .. Can anyone tell me how much of a pain in the *** it would be to bring the car into the states.? I'm very interested in this car so the information you guys could get would be very helpful..

Thanks Crew

Question for the crew!!! I am very interested in a formal currently lives in Canada .. Can anyone tell me how much of a pain in the *** it would be to bring the car into the states.? I'm very interested in this car so the information you guys could get would be very helpful..

Thanks Crew
There are others here with more experience in this. From my research on the US Customs and Border Control site you will need to pass a visual inspection of emissions devices. So, you buy and have proper ownership documents... then you bring it to the border and hold your breath for as long as they choose...

1975 and newer better have a catalyst, factory air cleaner, emissions decals, heat control valve on the exhaust, air pump, carbon canister, fuel inlet restricter... just to name the most commonly removed or missing items. 1974 you may need to prove the car was built without a catalyst and doesn't need a fuel inlet restricter.

I got the feeling it was going to come down to how bored the officer was and how much he/she understood their job. When I was thinking about this... I figured it would require me to be prepared with a plan to spend a little extra time if they didn't like the car and don't even try if the stuff isn't there.

Or he could bring a set of plates to a location on their side of the border and drive it over...

Thanks for the info.. I heard it could be a crap shoot at the border. Dammit.. I'll try a get as much info from the owner as I can as to what's been removed, if anything. Thanks again.

So your saying as long as I have the title / bill of sale and the car has all the OE stuff from 1976, I should be ok? Do I need anything from stateside or CN DMV? Stan, you mentioned plates. Can the CN plates stay in it till I get it stateside?

I just went to the website " Cantflip" provided, there was an Email link, so I sent them one. We'll see what happens from there.

So your saying as long as I have the title / bill of sale and the car has all the OE stuff from 1976, I should be ok? Do I need anything from stateside or CN DMV? Stan, you mentioned plates. Can the CN plates stay in it till I get it stateside?
Probably not. Plate/registration laws are different in every state... but they all seem to want you to own and insure the car. You would have a lot of phone tag to get answers... and if you have my luck... more phone tag after some jackass gave you incorrect information. Here in FL I have "discovered" a title agency that specializes in vehicle titles... they will be getting most of my business (not much) from now on. $30 plus fedex is great compared to half a day and a idiot at the counter.

There are others here with more experience in this. From my research on the US Customs and Border Control site you will need to pass a visual inspection of emissions devices. So, you buy and have proper ownership documents... then you bring it to the border and hold your breath for as long as they choose...

1975 and newer better have a catalyst, factory air cleaner, emissions decals, heat control valve on the exhaust, air pump, carbon canister, fuel inlet restricter... just to name the most commonly removed or missing items. 1974 you may need to prove the car was built without a catalyst and doesn't need a fuel inlet restricter.

I got the feeling it was going to come down to how bored the officer was and how much he/she understood their job. When I was thinking about this... I figured it would require me to be prepared with a plan to spend a little extra time if they didn't like the car and don't even try if the stuff isn't there.

No air pump was ever on a Formal (or any Mopar) with a 400 from the factory.

No air pump was ever on a Formal (or any Mopar) with a 400 from the factory.
Thanks... wasn't sure what engine he was dealing with. I have only researched this on the websites...

I had decided it would be to much time for my schedule to pursue farther. I'm sure its doable, but my experience has always been that things go better when you have the paper work straight from the beginning. I have read conflicting information about the visual inspection, and assume it revolves around the officer on duty at the time. I don't see any easy way to deal with a failed attempt to cross at the border, IIRC the vehicle winds up in impound and cant go either direction until resolved.

If the person selling crosses with the car and then sells. They come over as a visitor and have some kind of legal hassle for selling... but I cant find the details. As far as I can tell, this is something a person with deeper pockets would throw money at to get legal through a contractor who specializes in it, or you face the possibility of the vehicle being destroyed if you cant get it through. I dealt with a few folks in that business years ago and it was a game that didn't always go well for the private individuals. The pro's seemed to want to keep quiet about the process, so sometimes it's easy.

I know that I've paid insane CDN import taxes on a few parts that I received from Mr. C when he was residing in Canada.

And...I know selling cars is a big deal across the border. I believe our Canadian brothers can probably share the what you can and can't do as far as whole car sales across the border. I'm sure that driving the car to the U.S. side on Canadian plates and then selling the car is far from painless as far as import taxes and emission standards are required to be met.

Here in FL I have "discovered" a title agency that specializes in vehicle titles... they will be getting most of my business (not much) from now on. $30 plus fedex is great compared to half a day and a idiot at the counter.
WHY is everything in your life a fustercluck.
I drive 10 minutes to the Tax Collectors office in Avon Park, park at the front door, walk in, sit down at the counter with the nice lady and leave 15 minutes later with title and plates.

WHY is everything in your life a fustercluck.
I drive 10 minutes to the Tax Collectors office in Avon Park, park at the front door, walk in, sit down at the counter with the nice lady and leave 15 minutes later with title and plates.
It HAS to be a personality flaw... but damned if I know how to correct it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back