79 years ago

70bigblockdodge

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
The attack on Pearl Harbor. Been there a few times. Visited the memorial, very moving.
FB_IMG_1607348261142.jpg

I haven't been to Pearl Harbor....... but its on my bucket list.

My "Wish List" during the 20 years I was in the Army.....

1. Hawaii
2. Alaska
3. Ft. Lewis, Washington

I probably knew from Day 1 in the Army being in Armored Cavalry and Heavy Artillery that my chances of getting an assignment to Hawaii or Alaska was slim to none. I put Ft. Lewis, Washington as my 3rd choice hoping I would get assigned to Ft. Lewis at least once in 20 years and drive to Alaska. Hopeful dreams for 20 years!

The attack on Pearl Harbor. Been there a few times. Visited the memorial, very moving.
View attachment 421255

Been there several times. Best visit was in 2007 when my son’s Scout Troop went to summer camp on the north shore. They then toured the USS Missouri (and we spent the night on her as well as the director conducted an Eagle Scout Court of Honor for my son on the fantail) we also toured the Arizona memorial along with the USS Oklahoma and Utah memorials and the Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island. Extremely humbling and I am grateful for all of those who have served...

Three places that just get to me.
That pear Harbor memorial, Gettysburg and Normandy.
Stand at one of these sites early in the morning quiet is eerie.
I might add the Flight 93 site too for the reverence guests show when visiting.

Last edited:
. Best visit was in 2007 when my son’s Scout Troop went to summer camp on the north shore. They then toured the USS Missouri (and we spent the night on her as well as the director conducted an Eagle Scout Court of Honor for my son on the fantail
Wow, that's cool. Been along side the New Jersey underway when I was in, they are a awesome sight, and they look absolutely menacing out toward the horizon on the open ocean. My sister and her husband toured the Missouri when they were on their honeymoon. My sister and Brother-in-law were with me when touring the Yorktown and Laffey in Charleston SC. when we went to go down in one of the engine rooms the oil, grease, and bilge saltwater smell brought back a lot of memories. They said my eyes glassed over and a smile on my face.

Last edited:
I was TDY to Hawaii for a two-week exercise, back in 85. Our first place to go after we got there wasn't the beach, but to the Arizona Memorial. We didn't want to risk not being able to visit and pay respects due to mission timings on our end. The beach was right out our door, anyway.

The boat ride out was amazingly quiet. As we approached, all you could hear was our boat cutting through the water, the drone of the twin turbodiesel engines, and a lot of seagulls. We disembarked. It's truly difficult to describe the memorial. You could feel the presence of nearly 1,100 sailors who died. It is absolutely a beautiful and solemn place. Like the WTC memorial and the OKC bombing memorial, there is peace and quiet where chaos and terror had its momentary reign.

Looking over the deck into Arizona, where a turret once rested, and seeing the oil seep from her still, then reading the names of the dead on that marble wall, brought me to tears...does today, too, as I tap this out.

It's an experience that is unforgettable.

A few years ago, the Oklahoma gained its memorial - the ship with the second most casualties, and the last battleship recognized with a memorial. The anchor from her is displayed along Broadway, between 12th and 13th Streets in Oklahoma City. The ship had been refloated after two years of work, and was being towed to San Francisco for salvage when she slipped her lines about midway through the voyage, and sank to the bottom of the Pacific in roughly 14,000' of water. Her precise location is unknown to this day.

I've always been fascinated by WWII. Nearly 100M deaths worldwide from 1937-1945. Insanity seemed to rule the day. My grandfathers were too old to enlist and my Dad was too.young, but several cousins did go to war. All four survived. To imagine, eight decades have passed...

Last edited:
In 1982, when I was stationed at McChord AFB, WA, I took a drive up to Bremerton to the Naval Yard there. At that time, USS Missouri was moored as a floating museum, though still commissioned and looking battle-ready. I got to tour the ship. The immenseness of a battleship Iis mind-boggling! There was (and still is) a plaque on the deck, where the Japanese surrender was signed while moored in Tokyo Bay. That was a cool experience!

Now, to see Arizona and Missouri together, symbolizing the start and the end of the war for the US, is an amazing sight. I want to go to Hawai'i again, just to visit both great ships again; this time, together.

I'm having a few flashbacks from my Army days....

I was fortunate to serve in Europe during the the 2nd half of the 1970's, all of the 1980's except for 10 months in 1983. And the early 1990 and 1992. Late 1990 and 1991 I was in the Gulf War.

I had a Battery Commander in Germany that majored in Modern European History and specifically WWII. So we went out in the German countryside on a regular basis to conduct Manuever Rights (War Games) some were actual drills where we would deploy and defend if the Russians attacked us. I have been all over Germany's nook's and cranny's. At the end of the day we would rally all the leaders of the Battery normally near the town center. Many German towns have 2 memorials at the town center with the names of the fallen from WWI and WWII. Our Battery Commander would tell us who fought who, what the objective was and what the outcome of the battle was. I thought that was pretty cool . He was the Commander for 3 years.

Screenshot_20201207-130745_Chrome.jpg

Visited Hawaii and the memorial in 94. To see oil coming to the surface, raised the hair on the back of my neck. Truly the greatest generation that inspires today.

The USS Oklahoma memorial, across from the State Capitol Building in Oklahoma City.

The Oklahoma anchor historical monument at 1220 N Broadway in OKC.

20181111_102644_1(1).jpg

uss_oklahoma_anchor_historical_marker.jpg

The USS Oklahoma memorial, across from the State Capitol Building in Oklahoma City.

The Oklahoma anchor historical monument at 1220 N Broadway in OKC.

View attachment 421299

View attachment 421301
I knew a man who had the flag that was on Oklahoma. He was very proud of it having served on the ship as a Corpsman or a Doctor. He was a retired surgeon.

Visiting the Arizona Memorial is a very moving event. We did so in 2004.

My thoughts go out to all American members on this day of remembrance of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Wishing you all well for the future and thanking you for the assistance during WW2 and since.

Thanks to all currently serving and former members of US Military Branches from America's friends in the South Pacific.

The older I get the more I ponder these anniversaries/holidays, but it seems most people become less aware...it pisses me off that today I needed to remind everyone at our work startup meeting that we should reflect on the ultimate sacrifices some gave 79 years ago

I haven't been to Pearl Harbor....... but its on my bucket list.

My "Wish List" during the 20 years I was in the Army.....

1. Hawaii
2. Alaska
3. Ft. Lewis, Washington

I probably knew from Day 1 in the Army being in Armored Cavalry and Heavy Artillery that my chances of getting an assignment to Hawaii or Alaska was slim to none. I put Ft. Lewis, Washington as my 3rd choice hoping I would get assigned to Ft. Lewis at least once in 20 years and drive to Alaska. Hopeful dreams for 20 years!

Ft Lewis is an awful duty station, it never stops raining. If you are infantry, doubly bad as the post is located on top of a glacial moraine. (Large pile of rocks left when the glacier melts.)

Dave

Last edited:
Three places that just get to me.
That pear Harbor memorial, Gettysburg and Normandy.
Stand at one of these sites early in the morning quiet is eerie.
I might add the Flight 93 site too for the reverence guests show when visiting.
Gettysburg: absolutely heart rending.
Half my lineage is southern. I walked Pickett's charge with my family. 100's of yards with no cover. Imagined the southerners getting slaughtered. Broke into tears.

It was awful. Served 4 years USMC. Nothing prepared me for Gettysburg.

My dad enlisted the day after Pearl.

Thank you dad for your service in the Marines.

Thank you for instilling in me my dislike of Japanese cars.

Buy American. :usflag:

Back