A/C for '66 Chrysler New Yorker?

hotdog647

Reaction score
I plan to have A/C in my Chrysler by summer. I will be swapping in a factory A/C dash when the windshield is replaced so the distribution ducts and vents can be used. My dilemma is whether to use a new heater & A/C box (Vintage Air, Southern Rod etc) or use an original factory heater & A/C box. The heater and evaporator coils from the factory are HUGE compared to the newer models. The newer models are simpler with no vacuum lines or complex mechanics. Will these new evaporators and heater cores really work as well as the ones from 1966? Are they quiet or noisy? Any advise appreciated. Thanks. Doug

I only know of one C-body (72 Polara) where all the factory stuff went to the dumpster and a complete soup to nuts Vintage Air modern system went in.
It never cooled the cabin adequately he would often complain but he never tracked down why.

I'm going to hazard a guess that these retrofit systems are sized to cool and heat 69 Camaros, not a huge C-body cabin with yards of glass.

My car had ALL the underhood A/C stuff missing. I bought a kit from Bouchilon Performance that included the hoses, crossflow condenser, Sanden style compressor, brackets etc.
I bought a crimper to do the hoses myself and because I'm a little anal about how the hoses were routed, I ended up buying a few more hose fittings too.

I bought a Harbor Fright A/C gauge kit and vacuum pump, then gave myself a crash course in automotive A/C.

It works great and I'm very happy with the results. The only thing I'm going to do is add a pair of electric pusher fans this spring.

Give Bouciillon a call. They are Mopar guys and really great to work with.

The firewall of a factory AC Chrysler is different from non A/C car as well. The heater core outlets,and fan motor,etc.

Thanks for your ideas and input. I will cut holes for the bolts and blower based on other A/C 66 Chryslers I have and adapt as needed. This is my daily driver, and most likely I will use a modern compressor and condenser. Thanks again. Doug

Back