Anyone have an old TRW piston catalog?

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
A friend is looking for specs on a piston set he says I sold him years ago.

Honestly, I don't remember selling them to him, but you never know... I don't remember what I had for breakfast either.

Anyway... L3015F

We are sure that they are 440 pistons and .030 over with a floating pin. I believe that is the "F" in the number and the "L" means forged. I haven't had my hands on them, so I can't verify the floating pins and I didn't ask if he really eyeballed them, but that does sound right and I think he would have said if it were different. No valve notches though, he did say that.

From what I can find, the application is a forged replacement for a '69 440, but we're not sure if it's a stock replacement or a higher compression version.

So... any and all specs and references would be great.

NHRA specs for allowable pistons in certain engines, for the stock classes?

NHRA specs for allowable pistons in certain engines, for the stock classes?
No, we are really just trying to figure out what he has.

So far, the answer I have is that it's a '69 Sixpack piston, and that is what I found by googling the number.

Problem is that the '69 sixpack piston is also exactly the same as a 4bbl '69 piston, so I'm skeptical that is the only application. I got a rather flip answer on another forum that may just be another guy googling the number and not really looking it up.

I seem to remember the TRW catalog having more data... I'm pretty sure these are 5/64 ring (again haven't touched them myself) and I think the catalog should have weight and maybe the compression ratio or height.

I'm really surprised I'm striking out on google searches.

TRW become speed pro a number of years back, L=forged piston, F=floating pin. Part Number is no longer used.

See www.campbellenterprises.com/mopar_pro_trw_forged_piston.htm

Dave
Yea, we had the L and F figured out, that seems to have carried through.

The part number though... that's the thing. It may have crossed over to a Sealed Power/Speed Pro piston, but I'll bet the TRW piston got dumped in the merger.

Chances are we're just going to have to start measuring to see if it's something he wants to use. I'd like a starting point though.

It lists a L2355F as the six pack piston
Summit messed up last year and have away sets of those for $65 instead of the $650 they are currently priced. A few members here got some, including myself. :thumbsup:

John, I have a 1979 trw catalog. No mention of a L3015F
It lists a L2355F as the six pack piston.
That's interesting!

I've had someone tell me that the L3000 series TRW pistons are all cast too.

This may have been part of a rebuild package. Makes me wonder if the pistons were special to the package... or if they were produced later than 1979.

Summit messed up last year and have away sets of those for $65 instead of the $650 they are currently priced. A few members here got some, including myself. :thumbsup:
I wish I'd have known. I got a set in late 2019. But not at the severe discount price.

That's interesting!

I've had someone tell me that the L3000 series TRW pistons are all
This may have been part of a rebuild package. Makes me wonder if the pistons were special to the package... or if they were produced later than 1979.
I went thru all the dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler RB pistons, as well as the performance.
Didnt find any pistons with number starting with a 3

At the risk of repeating what might have been discussed already ( I didnt fully read all posts)
In 79 book it says Pistons
L100 series powergroove
L500-1300 series cast aluminum
L2000 series powerforged
C series cast iron

Summit has one listing (no longer available, and superceded with the same number) for a trw L2355F 60 piston, .060 oversize.

Summit has one listing (no longer available, and superceded with the same number) for a trw L2355F 60 piston, .060 oversize.
I got everything for a rebuild, but thinking about it I think I got the pistons on ebay. Cheapest I found.
6 pack cam came from summit. Got some stuff from 440 source.

I got everything for a rebuild, but thinking about it I think I got the pistons on ebay. Cheapest I found.
6 pack cam came from summit. Got some stuff from 440 source.
Standard bore $650
.030 over $370

I don't get why the big difference, but all oversized pistons are cheaper. (For this piston, I haven't looked at any others)

These are L2355F

161384679766648757276070018662.jpg

All good. That is what I see in my catalog.
I have a new set of L2355F-030 (I got 40 yrs ago). It is a pretty heavy piston compared to some of the racing stuff.
jus sayin....

Back