Anyone have an old TRW piston catalog?

All good. That is what I see in my catalog.
I have a new set of L2355F-030 (I got 40 yrs ago). It is a pretty heavy piston compared to some of the racing stuff.
jus sayin....
Yes I agree they aren't the lightest pistons. For what I'm doing I like them. But not the best for big RPM

A former TRW employee has confirmed the L3000 series is a cast piston.

I'm betting it's a stock '68-9 replacement piston.

This is the L2355F-.030 piston. It's the "6 pac" replacement piston, and it has a very slightly taller pin height than other stock-type forged pistons. Which is why I use them. They are HEAVY. The reliefs are not deep but present. They use the factory 5/64 ring package. I think I paid $300 for these off Ebay. The .030 overs are cheaper because the vast majority of sales are 030 over. Pricing reflects unit sales/vs pricing: economy of scale.

img_1317-jpg.jpg

Back sometime in the middke 1980s, when "low compression" and lower octane unleaded fuels were "the future", many piston manufactureres "de-stroked" their pistons about .020" for a lower compression ratio in comparison to the factory pistons they were replacing. An incognito orientation to the rebuilt engines being more agreeable to the lower-octane fuels of the time (and the future). Many of the stock piston (large sales volume) makers put this change in their "fine print" section of their catalogs.

In the case of the Chrysler 383 pistons, it can be tricky when seeking a true OEM-spec 10.0CR piston (for the middle 1960s when the head gaskets were .020" steel shim gaskets, OEM), by observation. 440s, which didn't have low compression 2bbl car engines might not be quite so hard, by comparison. With the 440 6-bbl motors having the highest compression, typically. Forged pistons can be more accurate (in their ultimate compression ratio) as a forged piston is generally more expensive and "race-oriented" than a (less expensive and "daily driver") cast piston, from what I've noticed. The main issue is "compression height" (which relates to the de-stroking situation).

Chrysler B/RB pistons and piston pins are HEAVY. Moreso that similar pistons for other brands of engines. Which is where the Ross light-weight pistons and pins come into play. Less rotating mass for each "firing" to have to move can mean more power getting to the flywheel to "lay rubber". Other brands might exist now, with that orientation?

Another observation is that few replacement pistons exactly match the weight of the factory OEM pistons. Most are a bit heavier, as I recall, which might relate to "engine balancing". Wbereas factory OEM pistons are all the same weight through about .030" oversize.

Thanks for that picture!

Just some thougths and observations,
CBODY67

This is the L2355F-.030 piston. It's the "6 pac" replacement piston, and it has a very slightly taller pin height than other stock-type forged pistons. Which is why I use them. They are HEAVY. The reliefs are not deep but present. They use the factory 5/64 ring package. I think I paid $300 for these off Ebay. The .030 overs are cheaper because the vast majority of sales are 030 over. Pricing reflects unit sales/vs pricing: economy of scale.

View attachment 443975
Yea, back years ago when we had to shoo the dinosaurs off the track and we ran stock class, we had to run a stock OEM piston... No replacements. The deck height for my car (69 Roadruner A12) had a .027 deck height and the '70 had (IRRC) a deck height that was right around flush. I can't remember the number off the top of my head, just that it was near flush.

Anyway... I had a buddy I raced with that ran a '70 6 bbl Roadrunner. It's a long story, but they won stock eliminator one year at the divisional at Bud's Creek. The tear down guys bounced him for having a '69 piston. In all fairness to him, he couldn't get a '70 "six pack" piston anywhere and the '69 piston didn't do anything for him performance wise, but they trailered a bunch of heavy hitter cars that usually won and NHRA cut him no slack. His driver didn't know and was a little irritated. They split ways shortly after and he sold the car.

One of the funny parts of the story... He was shaking so bad right before the finals that he couldn't light his cigarette. Charlene Woods (remember her?) took it from him and lit it and handed it back to him. Another funny part... Some of the NHRA guys were really rooting for him as his car didn't have a single contingency or sponsor sticker on it. They said it had been decades since a plain car won anything...

Back