Back to bias plys!

c300g

Reaction score
Before I even bought my 65 Savoy, I knew I was going to end up ordering a set of bias plys. Being a purist, I knew there was no way I could achieve the factory appearance I wanted with radials.
Since my 65 Plymouth is a Canadian car, it would have come with Chryco crowns which were a Canadian exclusive. Extremely rare tire and even if I found a set, they would be too old to use.
U.S built 65 Plymouths would have come with Goodyear custom power cushions. A nice tire but it lacked a piecrust design on the sidewall.
I decided to go with Goodyear custom super cushions. While not 100% correct, they are seen on just about every factory photo and rendering from 1965 and were chryslers choice tire from 1957-1964. The custom super cushions are a great looking tire with a classic pie crust pattern.

In the few weeks before I put the tires on, I was becoming quite nervous. I had heard plenty of negativity towards bias plys and had been warned by many to stay away from "those deadly tires". To make matters worse, I tend to be slow adapting to sudden change and at that point, all i knew was the 04 Grand Prix I had been driving. I kept telling myself that people had driven cars with bias plys for well over half a century without any concerns. How bad can they really be?

Well after about a month of driving my 65 on bias plys to & from work every day rain or shine, here are my thoughts.

-They are louder then a radial. Not quite as loud as snow tires but they still make some noise.
-Going around a gradual curve feels no different then a radial but a sharp turn such as a turning circle or an intersection is quite different, especially over 10 MPH. You will feel the car roll over on the sidewall.
-Bias plys pulling the car into the low spots in the road is heavily exaggerated. When driving on a road that has been milled for repaving, I have observed that the car tends to follow the "grain" milled into the pavement. When it comes to normal paved roads, even ones with cracks, the car tracks in a straight line as it would with radials. The only time i find it will pull into the low spots is if there is a very long crack in the road. The pull is very faint and unless you are holding the steering wheel with one finger, it is of no concern. Feels like driving a car on a windy day.

-I have only one complaint about bias plys and that is they roll over on the side walls...... meaning your side walls will get dirty. I always wondered what the pie crust sidewall was for. I thought it was for strength but no, it is part of the tread! Overall, bias plys completely change the look of old cars. They do not perform like radials but the difference is so minimal, its worth sacrificing the performance for looks. I will NEVER EVER buy radials for any classic car I own.
IMG_7662.JPG
IMG_7663.JPG
IMG_7664.JPG
IMG_7665.JPG
IMG_7666.JPG
IMG_7667.JPG
IMG_7675.JPG
IMG_7679.JPG
IMG_20180516_200134642.jpg
IMG_20180516_202400047_HDR.jpg

I've waited a long time for an Average Joe comparison devoid of theories, unfounded biases (pun intended) and technical jabberwocky.

:thankyou:

There's nothing "deadly" about bias ply tires and whoever is telling you that does not know what they are talking about.

There are advantages to radials... and I will continue to use them myself. My Barracuda has a set of bias ply blueline tires. I really don't like how they flat spot when sitting and that alone has driven me to buy some radials for the car.

I use them eversince my first old car bought at 18 when they came from that certain era. Mostly in use with lighter European cars my perception there is similar with two exceptions, ride quality is quieter and softer than with radials this was also the general judgement in comparisons back then . Flat spots from longer periods of parking go away after a while.
At least with our smaller tire sizes there's also radial tires in classic design from back then available (first one was the Michelin X around 1946 IIRC which could still be had) which are expensive though. I use the XAS on one car from 1971 that were Standard on this high Speed model and These handle great and look dead on right as well.
Interesting side note: Even back in the 60s serious Performance oriented magazines in General recommended steel belted and in some instances Nylon cord radials but the recommendations were always specific for certain cars or at least drivetrain layouts, like rear engine, front engine with FWD, conventional drivetrain. I specifically remembered bias plys being recommended for some of the more powerful rear engine cars as the Porsche 356 for having better control and a wider range in the border area to severe oversteer/spin that was way more abrupt with the radials.

Last edited:
They LOOK fantastic!:thumbsup:

I sure as hell can't tell the difference by looking. If your happy, that's what's important.
When I bought my 300 with bias-ply's, and then changing to radials. I would never want to drive a car with them again.

I just went from bias ply to radials on my 66 300. I was amazed at the difference but I too can see the difference. For me though the ride quality and noise difference are worth it to me. Car looks great BTW.

Car looks good, I couldn't tell the difference.

I went from radials to bias play, and other than being way too old and hard, I love them. I just wish they made a 275/60/14, otherwise I'll have to go back to radials for the next set.

Cornering over ten miles per hour, What were you thinking? I don't have any actual experience with bias plys, but am curious what PSI are you running? Is it possible a higher pressure could remedy the problem? Granted at the cost of comfort.

Last week of June in '96 I drove a '67 300 2DHT from Austin, Tx. to Portland, Or. for a 300 Meet that had a NEW set of bia plyz on it. Loner from a car-bud because the A/C worked and I waz tried of throwing $ down the well at the A/C in my 300 Hurst. Got the Long Distance Award ('bout 2800 miles one way) but it took over a month to physically get over the experience and the memoryz are still strong. Sorry folkz, NO MORE BIAS PLYZ FOR THIS KID, Jer

I have been running bias plys on my CHP car, largely for looks, have all the same comments but need to add the square tire problem, goes away within five miles.
Even on spirited driving I don't notice the rollover but these are HD Light Truck tires. I did drive my friends CHP car when he still had the Coker's on it now that was an experience.

2017-03-20_032.jpg

2017-03-20_019.jpg

Alan

My mother always told me if you have nothing nice to say keep you mouth shut.
Car looks nice sitting still.
Come on Dave. You are among the few folks on this planet that know what the slow lane iz like in this whole country. Lemme be more specific. slow lane + asphalt interstate. After a year or two theirs a 36" wide double dips where the large carz sink in because of haulin' 80 bushel GVW in the summer months. Remindz me of cruising American avenue in Long Beach, Ca. when I waz in my teen yearz. Trolly Tracks back then on that street that ran for miles that you drop either steer tire in either track and make out with your honey and not worry 'bout ever jumpin' off that track but changin' lanes waz like wrestling' an alligator. Same thing with runnin' the slow lane on grooved asphalt with bias ply tires today and trying to get out of those grooves to pass iz like wrestling that same 'gator. 2 weekz and a little over 6K on bias ply tires on that little junket, NO THANK YOU. And I don't care who made 'um or how cute they look, Jer

All this talk about bias plys and not one mention of burn outs from what i've been told bias plys make great for smoky burn outs

Last edited:
Been sold on radials ever since my uncle put some Michelins on his new 68 T&C. The improvement in ride was unbelievable back then. Otherwise I have no problem with bias ply tires particularly if you want the original look. Heck we drove all over this country pulling a travel trailer and made it through Michigan winters just fine on Goodyear Power Cushions.

Back