Battery Help...

The restoration batteries certainly look correct, IF they match what you're looking for. I used to run Chrysler batteries in my Chryslers, but it got to be that if the car wasn't driven "daily", then I'd have to charge it. Even got one warrantied for that, which acted the same way. Battery tenders weren't around much back then. I also had connections at the dealerships, which helped, plus a jobber connection when THAT existed.

For a vehicle being used mostly for occasional use, not specifically for higher-level show events, then I'd get something locally that can be warrantied, if necessary, relatively easily. Group 27, as desired. Interstate Battery still makes a "black body" battery for Lexus, Toyota, and Hyundai (only difference is the decals applied to them, I suspect). A sealed battery, no caps, but black. These "black body" batteries might be on their website, as an alternative to their trademark "green body" batteries?

At car shows, I like to see Chrysler batteries in Chrysler products, ACDelco in GMs, Motorcraft in Fords, etc. Normally more expensive than "auto supply" batteries, so when I see an "auto supply" battery in a very nice restoration or show car, it makes me wonder what other short-cuts were made "under the paint".

To me, the Optima battery has its place, for which a normal street car might be expensive over-kill. Lots more battery options now than what we had 30 years ago!

CBODY67

FWIW, there's only three major lead-acid battery manufacturers in the US. Johnson Controls, Exide and East Penn. I think Johnson Controls is the largest. There's some smaller ones, but those are the main players.

A little searching can usually turn up who makes what for who. Example... Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

Optima's are too damn expensive and don't always mount in OE trays and look tidy. Any quality AGM battery will do as good as an Optima, look more at home and save about half the cost without sacrificing quality.. But if you're one of those "just got to have one cause everyone else does" buy one!
I personally am not a big fan of the AGM batteries... in my professional experience with them, they tend to be more easily damaged by deep cycling and fast charging. I know there are purpose built chargers for them... but unless you are trying to save weight, I find them to be more $$ for more hassles when dealing with old car woes like trouble starting.
Restoration batteries simply look betterView attachment 140272
If I ever get under the hood of my cars into the condition that all that's left is to get rid of functional stuff like my lever vent radiator car and dual terminal battery... nah, I do that stuff for a reason. I would much rather the function than the showroom appearance... I won't be repainting my wix oil filter either.:D

Remember, too, that EACH battery brand has their own unique "formula" of how to build a battery, internal guts and such. That means that all battery from a particular manufacturer are not all the exact same internally. Some can be better than others.

Same with oil filters, too. Champion Labs builds most of the oil filters in the USA, but each brand dictates what's in them as to type of anti-drainback valve (silicone or otherwise), quality of the filter media, type of relief spring (flat or coil), type and size of "flow holes" in the base plate, etc. IF you know what the particular OEM brands' oil filters look like, then you can spot the counterfeit ones!

CBODY67

I replaced a 7yr old optima red top in my wagon with a Interstate AGM battery was cheaper and fit in the battery tray better. been in a the car a year and no problems yet.

Thank you all for you advice and input. I definitely have a direction now...

Next step, try and find some sweet Labor Day sales!

Thank you all for you advice and input. I definitely have a direction now...

Next step, try and find some sweet Labor Day sales!

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the Sears DieHard group-27 battery. I have one in both of my '66 300s. They fit correctly in the battery tray, and the terminals are in the right location. They have a decent warranty, and I can get a replacement (if needed) almost anywhere. If I ever get one of my cars to the "show-car" level, I guess I'll then invest in a "restoration" battery.

Go to your local junk yard and tell them you need a battery for a ~1998 dodge ram. Get the starter for the same truck while your there. Go home and put both in your car. Then when you drive past A zone, A Vance, O reallys price fixers, you can give them one of these.
:icon_fU::icon_fU::icon_fU::icon_fU::icon_fU:

Any 60 month battery that's on sale.
Anybody notice that good deals on batteries is becoming a thing of the past?

All my cars have Bosch batteries in them from group 24, to group 27 and group 36. They are always 20% off if I order on line and pickup three miles away from Pep Boys. Only Walmart beats them but I'm not driving there for them. They all have three year warranties which isn't as common as much anymore.

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the Sears DieHard group-27 battery. I have one in both of my '66 300s. They fit correctly in the battery tray, and the terminals are in the right location. They have a decent warranty, and I can get a replacement (if needed) almost anywhere. If I ever get one of my cars to the "show-car" level, I guess I'll then invest in a "restoration" battery.
Nothing wrong with those batteries, but if I had to get one warrantied... I'd want to be dealing with a retailer who is still around.:)

Back when the DieHards were still new and popular, many people bought them. But with a three year warranty, most "died hard" by right after TWO years. The JCPenny Forever battery had a mixed history, too. Remember, too, that battery warranties start with the original purchase and don't "renew" with each warranty replacement.

Don't over-pay for salvage yard batteries as the reason they were there could have put some fissures in the guts, which might cause failure later. Good call on getting the starter, though, if it fits correctly. End result, you could be at those places you "waved at" later on, getting a battery from them. Whatever works that you're comfortable with.
CBODY67

over-pay for salvage yard batteries as the reason they were there could have put some fissures in the guts, which might cause failure later
Edit for those of you out of the rust belt heed the above warning. For those of us seeing those POS Dodges being scrapped for rot go get the batteries before they are shipped to China and then you will be buying them back as new Chinese batteries.

Get the starter the only thing you will ever replace in one of those is the contact points. On our sparingly driven collector cars the starter will last 50 years. So :icon_fU::icon_fU::icon_fU::icon_fU::icon_fU: the chain parts stores.

Last edited:
Back