Blew up mufflers. 70 440 HP 300

challenger

Reaction score
Several years ago I changed the dizzy on my 300. I f'ed up the install and filled my mufflers with gas fumes. Then I filled them with a spark and they blew up :). Very fewiles have been put on the car since doing this and I lived with it. Now I'm driving it more and the tinny noise bothers me. I also feel like the insides of the mufflers may be blocking the exhaust and hurting the power. Has anyone had this occur? I had a 74 Malibu that had a collapsed muffler once and it completely killed the power so I'm thinking that these mufflers may be collapsing?
Thanks

I've blown up a couple...

Funniest was on a Sport Fury GT. Flooded it trying to start (it was winter) and it blew one of the mufflers wide open. I was in the narrow driveway between my Mom and Dad's house and the neighbors. It was a huge bang too... Echoed between the houses and rattled my Mom's dishes. All sorts of crap from the driveway and underneath the car along with carbon from the exhaust came blowing up around the car.

My Mom opened the door... She was used to this sort of nonsense as my brothers had already blazed the trail years before. She just looked at me, shook her head and went back inside.

I used to do that crap deliberately, pretty impressive sound effects in a tunnel although just being under a bridge worked okay also. Then I grew older............ :D

Ah yes, the good old days. Make sure your car is tuned correctly and put on a good set of Walkers.

Yes, I had it happen two years ago. Replaced my turbos with Magnaflows - after finding the cause of the shut-down though.

A friend had it happen on his 300 Hurst, only it blew the mufflers and pipes on to the road! He had his replaced with a glaspac system. Sounded good at idle, but I've never liked the popping that comes with those things.

It was EXTREMELY LOUD! The car was inside the garage but the door was rolled up luckily.
The outer sheet metal is all blown apart so I think they should get replaced. If the outer is blown apart I imagine the insides are even worse .
Walker mufflers come in a few different versions/models so which model has a louder than stock sound but not super loud?
Thanks

I had a nitrous solenoid screw up and I blew up a couple on my Newport. Popped another one on a '71 Barracuda 318 car... It happens....lol. That was one of the reasons I got into welded case mufflers. That and I love the sound.

Way back in 1973-75 I worked in an antique store and the owner had a 1966 Dodge cargo van. The slant six motor with the 3 speed on the column provided many entertaining moments. We would deliver a piece in Brooklyn or some other God forsaken borough of NYC. On the way home we would often go through a tunnel or two and as we headed into the tunnel we would shut off the ignition. After maybe 5-10 seconds we would turn the ignition back on and BA-BOOM! Or we would cruise down our local LI NY main road and see one of the other antique store owners outside spray painting a piece of wicker or some other garbage. We would do the same thing as we passed by. One particular time we scared the living crap out of the two "boys" that had the shop one block over. They called up the owners, who were my best friend's mother and father AND the driving the delivery van with me, and had a hissy fit. My buddies mother and father listened to the complaint and faked genuine concern. Once they hung up we all laughed our asses off. We didn't do that again. We had the memory and that's all we needed to get the same, or better, laugh as we drove by.
Back on topic I believe I will visit the local muffler shop and see if they can offer a reasonable solution. I will also try to get a photo or two of the existing muffler mess I have.

I better crawl under mine an check. I filled the exhaust with gas too while installing a distributor. Loooud bang. But they don't sound like they blew up!?

It was EXTREMELY LOUD! The car was inside the garage but the door was rolled up luckily.
The outer sheet metal is all blown apart so I think they should get replaced. If the outer is blown apart I imagine the insides are even worse .
Walker mufflers come in a few different versions/models so which model has a louder than stock sound but not super loud?
Thanks

Most Walker's I've seen sound pretty good.

Here is a photo of the current mufflers. They are 13" long and 10" wide with offset "IN" and center "OUT". The number is 30991 I believe. Do these look familiar to anyone? I will go online and see what, if any, Walkers come up with this size.
Thanks

muffler.jpg

Back