Brake lights on my 70 Polara

polaratherapy

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, My breake lights are still not working, hope someone can help.
First i thought it was my brake light switch cousing the problem as the braket holding the switch was not adjusted properly. Fixed so that the plunger is fully pushed in to open the circuit, well that's not the problem, tested the switch and it works fine, open circuit when depressed and closed circuit when brakes applied.
Removed lenses, checked bulbs, all OK, no fuse burnt in fuse box.
What I've observed is the bulb sockets are very coroded, so plan on cleaning those out via sand paper and brake cleaner.
The question is , am I over looking something , wiring? What test can be performed in order to isolate/ process of elimination can I do?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Have a nice day,

PT

What I've observed is the bulb sockets are very coroded, so plan on cleaning those out via sand paper and brake cleaner.
That's probably your answer. Be careful of the brake cleaner... It can strip paint etc.

The next thing to check is the grounds.

That's probably your answer. Be careful of the brake cleaner... It can strip paint etc.

The next thing to check is the grounds.
Thanks Big_John and 300Rag, I'm addressing you both on this one as I was going to ask Big_John the question of " Do the brake lights and turn signals not share the same ground?" The turn signals do work manually , I have to flick them by hand, need a new flasher and one cam is broken in the turn signal switch.
Could the defective flasher be affecting the brake lights? To your knowledge, how many grounds should I have in the tail lights?
Thanks for your help guys, it will be a few days till I get to it, my 67 Newport goes in for saftey tomorrow, knock on wood!
IMG_3580.JPG

Thanks Big_John and 300Rag, I'm addressing you both on this one as I was going to ask Big_John the question of " Do the brake lights and turn signals not share the same ground?" The turn signals do work manually , I have to flick them by hand, need a new flasher and one cam is broken in the turn signal switch.
Could the defective flasher be affecting the brake lights? To your knowledge, how many grounds should I have in the tail lights?
Thanks for your help guys, it will be a few days till I get to it, my 67 Newport goes in for saftey tomorrow, knock on wood!View attachment 604636
Sure sounds like the signal switch since the bulbs do light up. That's not to say the sockets shouldn't be cleaned up as well.

Last edited:
Sure sounds like the signal switch since the bulbs do light up. That's not to say the sockets shouldn't be cleaned up as well.
I know it's the signal switch and flasher not working for the signals, I'm more concerned about the brake lights not functioning.
As Big_John mentions, all my grounds need inspection also.

I know it's the signal switch and flasher not working for the signals, I'm more concerned about the brake lights not functioning.
As Big_John mentions, all my grounds need inspection also.
The fact that the turn signals at the rear come on, the problem is in the signal switch. The brake light circuit goes from fuse to brake light switch and then through the signal switch and on to the rear lights. If the turn signal switch is defective or broken and you have confirmed there is power on the brake light switch when activated, then the brake light function may not work. The brake function is dependent on the signal switch operating correctly.

When you're refurbishing the tail light sockets, be sure to clean the reflector surfaces, even putting some shiny silver paint on them if needed, so the new bulbs shine brighter. Clean the inside of the lens, too, PLUS making sure the dust filters are in place on the bottom edges of the lenses!

Take care,
CBODY67

The flasher wouldn't be the cause.

Your brake circuit does run through the turn signal switch, so if the switch is bad, the brake lights might not work.

As far as sharing grounds? The body is the ground. If you look at your battery, you'll see the negative connects to the body. All your lights are then connected directly to the body/ground.

The easiest way to check for proper grounding is to turn on the lights and then use a long wire with alligator clips on the ends to connect to a good ground and see if there's a change.

In your case, I agree with @300rag and say it's probably the switch. You do want to continue to clean the sockets though.

In your case, I agree with @300rag and say it's probably the switch.
x3. white brake light feed wire goes to the cam. breaks off due to repeat cam movement. can be soldered back on, but the detents are broken? bad ground may not put enough load on the turn signal flasher to cause it to open and break the circuit.

Is it possible to remove the wire from the assembly? I cant figure out how! Could it be that I must loose the cable in the other end to create some slack?

IMG_9922.jpeg

Last edited:
Back