Brake Service and Front Drums Mismatched

Disc brakes are way less complicated, I absolutely agree with that! But I did enjoy learning more about drums.

To clarify, I did get Raybestos shoes and they are organic, not asbestos.

From where I am sitting it looks like everything is assembled as specified in the FSM. If things still give me trouble I will address it then. If the parts are indeed junk it won't take long to find out.

My 67 Dart GT had front disc brakes. I was shocked at how easy disc brakes were to work on.

The first time I did some disc in 71 I thought, man this is just too easy.

Disc brakes are way less complicated
I remember back in the 70's, disc brakes were some sort of mystery and only certain trained pros could do them.

Of course, that was back before you could buy calipers and you needed to rebuild the calipers yourself. Once they got to stocking replacement calipers and rotors...and it was cheaper to replace rather than rebuild, they got kind of easy.

OK, I'll give, what is missing? Be specific please.

I agree with you about the brake lining but I can't see what's missing.

View attachment 633549
If I am not mistaken, I believe that a wave washer or very flat, thin washer goes in between the anchor pin plate and the base. I circled where it goes in the marked up attachment.

IMG_8864.jpeg

If I am not mistaken, I believe that a wave washer or very flat, thin washer goes in between the anchor pin plate and the base. I circled where it goes in the marked up attachment.

View attachment 633597
That's out of my '65 FSM.

I don't remember a wavy washer there, but I could be wrong. I don't see one in my parts book either. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the wavy washer on the e-brake lever?

brake2.jpg

I figured out what the washer that I was referring to is used for.
It’s the washer that goes into the end of the self adjusting mechanism.

I pulled the driver’s side piece out and verified.

IMG_8895.jpeg

Back