C-Body Headers

With no other mods I don’t know how much performance gain you will get?
I would definitely keep the poly but just have 2.5” dual exhaust added along with a mild cam and 4 bbl / 2x4 bbl intake .

Poly’s are great engines and badass looking !

Stash the original parts on the shelf for posterity.

Yeah I will start with some headers, new 2.5" exhaust, and get rid of the factory 2bbl carb.

See how it performs.

Not sure what carbs are available for the 2 x 4bbl set up as I havent measured anything yet!

If you can find a 4 barrel manifold for it, along with the headers you will notice a difference in the power.
Yes I would think so for sure.
Found a 2 x 4bbl intake for it.

Plan to install set headers with 2.5" exhaust

Also, swith to HP plugs, wires, and coil.

It all adds up in a hurry. The initial buy in has gone bananas. As parts supply dries up, existing stock has gotten nutso. The cost of work performed is usually bonkers but justified.

It's gotten expensive to have these cars.

Yes getting crazier with prices all the time!
Suppose have to do some research before choosing a shop to install exhaust system?
Im thinking of just ordering the prefab set of headers & headers-back exhaust from TTI & installing it myself.
Can spend a month crawling around under there arranging stuff if I need to.
Least then you know it should be done right & properly secured.

Done right is a personal perspective. If it's your car and you're satisfied, that's all that matters.

LOL
I suppose that is correct....but if its not allingned properly & flapping in the wind or clanging & banging when you go over a fre small bumps on the pavement....that could end up being a bit of an issue

Dang....the custom headers & exhaust add up in a hurry....$$$$
I paid $10 more for the headers and pipes, than I did for the car they went in!
Yes getting crazier with prices all the time!
Suppose have to do some research before choosing a shop to install exhaust system?
Im thinking of just ordering the prefab set of headers & headers-back exhaust from TTI & installing it myself.
Can spend a month crawling around under there arranging stuff if I need to.
Least then you know it should be done right & properly secured.
That's what I did, laid on my back and put them in over a week or so after work. The second car went by a little quicker as it was manifold back. As I said, I'll do it again in the future, wish I could do it now.

Haha
Yikes hey!
Only problem is I am in Canada so shipping might be a killer!
But from what I can see TTI is the only place that offers pre-fab headers that would fit my 67' Fury III with the 318 poly

You can start with manifolds back, If you feel that you still want headers the TTI system slips apart for headers. Just use the 2.5" band clamps and not the u bolt clamps when assembling the system. It now takes me 4 hrs to install TTI from manifolds back laying on the ground.
Walker/Tenneco band clamps. More Information for WALKER 33976

I said a long time ago that I was going to stay out of header discussions, but here I am....

I've owned street cars with headers. The last one was an A12 Roadrunner and I ended up switching to exhaust manifolds.

IMHO...

First, they can be a PITA... They are more prone to leaks and getting caught on things. I once caught a rock while backing up a car I used to drag race and bent the crap out of one... Those $$ Stahl adjustable headers weren't cheap to replace. A friend caught one backing it off his trailer (another $$ Stahl header too!). I saw one street car get a header caught on a railroad track. That took all the exhaust on that side out.

I've never installed headers in a C body, so I can't address that, but they can be challenging to get them in right. Then everything you do has to be worked around. I had a small block powered B-body that needed the right angle oil filter adaptor to get them to fit.... Not sure if you need that with the Poly motor or not. Changing the starter can be a PITA with some headers too.

Second, and this always twists everyone in a knot... Performance wise, you may not really notice a big (if any) improvement. Let's face it, you are looking for low RPM torque in a quick street car... Probably under 4500 RPM. You aren't going to want to twist that Poly that much.... It is a 56 year old engine that I'm assuming has never been apart. Think valve springs. The headers aren't going to make that much more power until you start hitting ~4500 RPM. The rest of the engine is going to start laying down about then.

Most of the gains I hear about are "seat of the pants" and that usually means "it sounds like it's making more power".. You don't usually see what the ET drop is or dyno pulls "before and after".

If you were building this motor/car with the right combination to use the headers, I'd say "go for it", but reality is you have a stock cam, a stock torque convertor and a high rear end gear (low ratio). To take advantage of the headers, you really need to address a lot of stuff here before the $$ adds up to HP and torque.

It is your car... Do what you want... Just think about it and don't believe all the hype made to sell you headers.

If it were me, I'd do the TTI exhaust (I have that on my '70 and they are really nice), swap to a 4bbl and look at having the distributor recurved. Maybe a swap to 3.23 gears.. A cam change might be in order too. That will give you a nice running car that you can enjoy driving.

I hear u
I an starting to think along the same lines
Yeah 100% stock car / engine that has never been apart

I
Starting to think if I change too much sh-it and try to push it....probably end up with a little "clunk" & by a big "bang" followed by a bunch of loud cursing from me!

Big John as usual is 100% correct. I've had headers on a C body, when I was young and dumb and it was supposed to be cool. Everything he says as a possible problem happened .
Once I had much higher horsepower I still stayed with manifolds but changed gears. Now I'm wiser still I would change the converter.

Big John is wise.

i should just stayed off here & never asked!
LOL

I have had someone tell me not even to bother with a 4bbl unless u change the cam....if u keep the factory cam he said the 4bbl wont make much of a gain....just go with a 500cfm Holley 2bbl

Too many things to think about now I think

Back