Calibrating a speedometer

All three of mine are fairly accurate. At least compared to that radar thing the cops have on the side of the road. I am always within two mph when comparing my needle to the electronic sign, regardless of speed

I think adding an overlay would be more work than I would want to get into but that would first require that your odometer and speedometer were properly calibrated. The odometer is a mechanical counter and it is calibrated by picking the best speedometer pinion gear for your tire & axle combination.

You would have to send the speedometer out to a speedometer shop for calibration because the magnets or springs need adjusting. I think the standard is 60 mph requires 1000 rpm of the speedo cable.

When I upgraded my 65 Barracuda to LBP wheels, I had to figure out what tires and speedometer pinion I needed. I did a write up about tire upgrades on my web site and have a calculation for the speedometer pinion teeth.

You could theoretically use a smaller pinion gear to convert your speedometer & odometer to metric but only if you find one with the 1.609 times less teeth. There also speedometer cable gear adapters that would speed up your cable by 61%. Either way, you would end up with a 120 km/h (75 mph) speedometer.

I use a GPS as my speedometer because it is always accurate and I can easily switch units depending upon whether I'm travelling through Canada or the USA.

I am amazed the U.S. still uses English units 50 yrs after I was in high school, but we seem to be regressing in many ways. Gas stations did switch overnight to pricing in $/liter during the 1970's oil embargo, but that was to assuage their less than literate customers.

Forget the yelling across w/ Billy-Bob method. In the 1990's, I checked my 1965 Newport's speedometer after a rebuild by driving at exactly 60 mph "indicated" and timing between two mileage markers on the highway. Of course, GPS makes that easier today. There is a little arm at the bottom (where spring grounds) that I pushed back and forth until it took exactly 60 sec between mileage markers. No wasted gas, I did so during my commute. Of course, it then wasn't perfect at 30 mph, but most people need best accuracy around 60 mph. For major changes, you need to get a different speedo pickup wheel. That is usually needed if you change rear-end gear ratio, but perhaps also w/ different rear tire OD.

I have seen photos of factory pickups that mount in-line w/ the speedo cable, as part of cruise control I recall. There may also be after-market pickups that sense driveshaft rotation. If you ran that to a digital kph dash display, that would be perfect.

There is a company....PATC that can build a ratio adapter in various ratios to correct for this error.

Here is a thread I wrote up on how I did this for my 84 W350 crewcab with a cummins conversion.....

1stGen.org • View topic - Speedometer ratio adapter...

Thank you thrashingcows, I was able to get good speedometer readings on a nice day, last Sunday. I called them on Monday, I got a ratio adapter in the mail today.

IMG_20170126_183441225.jpg

Back