Correct clamp

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
So the time has come to find out what was the correct way to secure the vacuum brake line to the booster and the nipple on the intake. I currently have it secured by two small worm gear fasteners and it is beginning to irritate me every time I see those two. My Fords use a small band and a tool that you squeeze to close the fastener around the hose. Can't seem to find a decent close up picture of what is correct. The shot below is what is Ford correct.
c5zf-588.jpg

The ones you pictured are called Keystone clamps. I assume that's because of the shape of the crimp.

I may be completely wrong here, but I think this was the type of clamp used on the booster vacuum hose.

1653690085431.png

The worm gear style hose clamps could be considered the "day three+" change which was usually made over time. Back then, nobody really trusted those "spring clamps", which were generally suspected of losing tension over time. Hence, most mechanics replaced them with the worm gear screw clamps, so they KNEW they would be tight and could be adjusted later on, if needed.

On either style, there is a correct way to position both the hose and clamp for best results. Generally, just enough overlap of the hose what it is pushed onto, but enough to allow for the width of the clamp to be right at the bulge in the connector, with the clamp positioned right at the end of that bulge. This puts a bit more closing force, due to the curve of the bulge, on the hose and also keeps fluid or vac from being between the bulge and the clamp. I saw that demostrated in a GM Tech Training book years ago. Until that time, it seemed that to push the hose right up to the end of the item it was being put onto, then clamp somewhere on the flat area was better, but can also take more hose to make happen and not completely secure the hose with the clamp. Do not put the clamp on the bulge, either.

Just some obervations and experiences,
CBODY67

Over the years and OEMs, I recall seeing where the worm-gear screw clamps were available as a "Fleet Option".

A couple of photo's from a 1972 Dodge Polara police car that I purchased as a parts car. Corbin clamp on booster side and the style shown by Big_John on the manifold side.

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

Well I have all those styles to choose from. When using spring type clamps I have always placed it right in front of the bulge on the flat area.

This is a photo of the other 72 Polara, this is a former Washington State Patrol car. Heater hoses on both cars used corbin clamps but the radiator hose used worm style clamps. I'd like to hear from other Police car owners on how their cars are optioned.

IMG_0719.JPG

Back