Dakar 2024

68PK21 440.6bbl

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
As with past years in Saudi Arabia the Dakar has very few fans... not like it was in South America.
The opening ceremony was eff'n bizarre.

Dakar Rally 2024 S2024 Ep4 - Dakar Rally, Stage 3_0009.jpg

Who would travel there to watch this. You can't even take pictures or enjoy women.
Have to worry about every move you make even more than this "free" country we live in.
I guess, other rich muslims would possibly travel there to watch this.
Seriously, do Americans travel there to watch this race? Maybe I am just uninformed.

On another note, I sure would like to have a Paris Dakar.

Has the whole event been moved to S.A.? Removed from South America?

Who would travel there to watch this. You can't even take pictures or enjoy women.
Have to worry about every move you make even more than this "free" country we live in.
I guess, other rich muslims would possibly travel there to watch this.
Seriously, do Americans travel there to watch this race? Maybe I am just uninformed.

On another note, I sure would like to have a Paris Dakar.

Has the whole event been moved to S.A.? Removed from South America?
Well I'll try and give a recent history without getting too political, the Saudi's have been opening up since the ITV Exposure undercover program done in 2015, but you are right no pictures allowed, no journalists allowed, no tourists allowed. You got to remember it's not a country/state, it's a Kingdom with a new King in the past decade and there has been some uprising to his new force of authority.

ITV.Exposure.Saudi.Arabia.Uncovered.720p.HDTV.x264.AAC.MVGroup.org_0009.jpg

Now the transition of the original Paris to Dakar to Saudi Arabia is well known by now as they left Africa as it was way to dangerous for the wealthy competitors due to kidnappings and in the final days of running in Africa stages (days) had to be canceled because terrorist were in the area kidnapping competitors and support people. So they went to South America which I thought was very nice because they have a wider diversity of climate & terrain. They had a good run there for many years and the turn out of fans all across the stages/Countries was unbelievable, but that was a problem as in one year IIRC<disclaimer in (Argentina which was the host country) 9 fans were killed in a bad incident so maybe you can understand why they didn't want to host anymore. Then it was off to Bolivia as host, and they have their own problems which I take is pretty much a civil border war with Chile over mineral resource's. This ended Robby Gordons career with Dakar as in one Chile border delay he worked on his truck against the rules and got disqualified... oh wait maybe it was the Monster Energy Glamis banning incident where he endo'd the Monster Energy entry trunk injuring his Dakar co-rider/teammate(?) in a <ahem> 'testing' (showoff) session. LOL Then there was the Bolivian unrest over the Indigenous people's water rights. One year in La Paz there were a whole bunch of people along the road protesting as the Dakar competitors went through, I go WTF is this all about... googly googly it comes to be that the ruling party want's Halliburton... aaayep you guessed it right, to upgrade the country's water system, ie modern plumbing everywhere. Welp you know what that means, someone's going to make a ton on money off that deal, someone's got to pay for all that right? Well the Indigenous people thought otherwise as for centuries they have had *FREE* water and consider that a human right, last I checked Halliburton pulled out of the deal and I take it they still have a Indigenous President plus they kicked the DEA deal to the curb. Then with the still civil unrest in Chile, although recently I've seen some motorcycle vblogers go through Chile without incident so maybe things have settled down there, the only alternative was Peru which I think they ran 3 years there and it's "The Richest (resource wise) Country in the World" with a good fan turnout even way into the dunes which they regularly have tourist excursions as a year round destination. I'm not sure why Peru ended (other than it was just played out) as they were very welcoming but Dakar was planned to go next to Brazil after the Argentina host masterplan, but Brazil was hosting the World Cup around that time so they thought better resource wise.
So off to Saudi Arabia for I guess security and the 'Future' of the Dakar, I don't know how long it will stay there, maybe a errant Hootie missle will end the run LOL. But it is bizarre as watching past years fan tube videos of the opening ceremonies/fanzone etc. the paddock liquorless nightclub nightlife I see was a h00t... There are many fans from the Far East and other Countries that have no problem with the Saudi's, it's a big world ya'kno...

Oh and most I've seen of the coursewise fanbase are these...

Dakar Rally 2024 S2024 Ep5 - Dakar Rally, Stage 4_0055.jpg

Dakar Rally 2024 S2024 Ep6 - Dakar Rally, Stage 5_0013.jpg

Dakar Rally 2024 S2024 Ep4 - Dakar Rally, Stage 3_0031.jpg

I haven't 'herd' of any of them getting hit (yet)

:lol:

I watched from the late 90s to about 2010. Most Americans never heard of it until Robby Gordon tried to give it a go, so it really isn’t aimed at American viewers. Mostly Europe and Eur-Asia as well as Japan. Mitsubishi dominated for a while there. The coverage was great when the old Speedvision carried the European coverage. They did about 1 hour a day split equally among bikes, cars, and trucks. Once nascar bought out Speedvision and changed it to speed, the coverage went south in a big way. I suppose to add more nascar related content or pit crew cooking shows or other such crap. I did away with my cable back then so it got hard to find coverage so I eventually stopped watching. I’ve watched only a couple of stages from South America and now Saudi Arabia. It doesn’t seem as good as it was in Africa.
Travis..

I watched from the late 90s to about 2010. Most Americans never heard of it until Robby Gordon tried to give it a go, so it really isn’t aimed at American viewers. Mostly Europe and Eur-Asia as well as Japan. Mitsubishi dominated for a while there. The coverage was great when the old Speedvision carried the European coverage. They did about 1 hour a day split equally among bikes, cars, and trucks. Once nascar bought out Speedvision and changed it to speed, the coverage went south in a big way. I suppose to add more nascar related content or pit crew cooking shows or other such crap. I did away with my cable back then so it got hard to find coverage so I eventually stopped watching. I’ve watched only a couple of stages from South America and now Saudi Arabia. It doesn’t seem as good as it was in Africa.
Travis..
Yeah the coverage is still kind of crap even on the official YouTube channel, they can't even make a correct playlist of the highlight shows. At least this year they made separate playlists for the languages but it's upside down with the latest day first so you watch it backwards. I use to make up my own playlist starting at day one and progressing to the end but it's been years since I've done that. Way too much paff about riders/drivers lives and way back history in the highlight shows, I just want to see the days results, progression and standings, save that stuff for a separate show. It's a mixed bag with trying to please everyone ie newcomer non-race fans. Biggest change was no one really is forced to drop out or withdraw, you can miss a number of days/sectors and still finish and get your participation medal. Lyndon Poskitt riding in the privateer Mali-Moto no support motorcycle class did a blog on this and he thought it wasn't right. He got food poisoning or just got gut sick and missed a day and thought he was out and ready to pack it up and go home but they said no 'you paid your money' and he can continue on to finish. Your way down on position but you finish and get medaled so it seems like it's just a rich person experience now. I can maybe see why they do it to attract competitors as it's a very expensive and lengthy process to get in, ie you have to complete many other off road rallies to even qualify, then there is the health check. I enjoyed more of the fan videos posted up on YouTube during the South American stint, it was amazing the number of spectators lining the course and posting up videos. Argentina was mental with fans, even in the last days when it was only in Peru I even watched live streams from way out in the dunes in the middle of nowhere, it was pretty much piss poor quality but there had to been cell towers around for them to stream it.

Maybe just a sign of getting old I guess, this years Rolex 24hr had beautiful weather with record crowds, was tempted to go out just for a afternoon in the Grandstands but after viewing some SnapChat's of the crowds I decided to stay home and just watch to see how much more of the motorhome crowd has taken over the infield.
aaaYep pretty much all of the west horseshoe is all motorhomes now with just the turn 3 & 4 for tent camping.
They're assholes too, the 'Fence Wars' of decades ago did me in on the 24hr Rolex.

About the record crowds this year, Brad Pitt was there pretty much all week doing film shoots for some up and coming F1 movie, I think I saved a picture of a rolling shooting of 2 F1 cars on the high bank that was in the news which is stupid as not to say that Indy/F1 cars haven't been on the high banks of Daytona but it's too steep for those cars to work and they gave up on that idea years ago. I have no idea how or what this movie is going to be about but you wonder if the record crowds could just be paid extras for the filming?

.:rolleyes:

The participation mentality must be new-ish. Part of the lore and mystique was the high attrition. When you broke, crashed, or otherwise missed a stage, you were out. The appeal to coming back year after year to the privateers is beating the race and finishing through work and determination, not being allowed to finish just because you paid your money. They will turn them into parade floats instead of competitors.

We were in Florida a couple years ago and just stumbled upon the fact that the Rolex 24 was happening. The wife and I watched Thursday afternoon practice and walked the paddock. The weather sucked though, it was windy, cloudy, and the coldest 60 degrees I’ve ever experienced. I personally would like to try out the motorhome camping for that race, even though I’m just a low rent travel trailer ******* . We’ve had a lot of fun camping at laguna Seca for the ALMS and historics.
Travis..

Back