Dash Pad Removal In 1965 Chrysler

Reaction score
Has anyone removed a dash pad from a 1965 Chrysler? I would like to do this to get my dash pad restored. You can't see it in this picture but there are cracks in the pad.

Any instructions would be appreciated!
FullSizeRender_2.jpg

8 nuts along the firewall area, underneath..... is where to start! Please post where you get the dash restored, need to do mine too! Nice looking car, is it white or pale blue? Mine is Mist Blue.....and was repainted in the same color, a long time ago!
20160511_175936.jpg

Thanks for the info on where to start dash removal. I'm going to look things over carefully before I do anything. My car's color is called "Ice Blue." Depending on how bright it is outside, it can look bleached out, close to white. It was an overcast day when that picture was taken. It looks darker at nightfall. Interior is blue with bucket seats. I like your car! Looks like you and your son will have lots of good times with it!

Thanks for the info on where to start. I'll go slowly and carefully when I remove the dash pad. Want to get more info. My car's color is called "Ice Blue." It looks darker on low light days, bleached out on bright sunny days. Interior is blue with the bucket seats. Seats have tears in the vinyl. You have a great car and it looks like you and your son will have some great times with it!

Start by removing the bolts that hold the pad to the metal dash. They can be hard to find and reach. You may also need to remover some of the trim to release the edge nearest the driver to safely remove the pad. Also be careful not to force the pad too much- the pad may have become slightly bonded to the metal dash frame.

To remove the complete metal dash itself you need to remove the windshield because of the proximity of the bolts holding the dash to the firewall assembly.

Last edited:
Start by removing the bolts that hold the pad to the metal dash. They can be hard to find and reach. You may also need to remover some of the trim to release the edge nearest the driver to safely remove the pad. Also be careful not to force the pad too much- the pad may have become slightly bonded to the metal dash frame.

To remove the complete metal dash itself you need to remove the windshield because of the proximity of the bolts holding the dash to the firewall assembly.

Thanks. Right now my car is at a trim shop getting a new headliner installed. Once I get the New Yorker back, I'll check on removing the dash and see if I can do it.

While it is there, have the trim shop remove it.
That's really great advice. It's more than just the bolts. Unless you are a spry contortionist, you need to remove at least the front seat(s). You will be on your back a long time, so put a pad or blanket on the floor. Get one of those LED headband lights. You will find that Chrysler hid the bolts-look online for the free 66 Chrysler parts manual download to help guide you. One bolt is above the glove compartment-easiest to reach the bolts with that out. And then you have to deal with all the wiring, heat and or A/C vents,tubes & controls, radio,steering column, headlight and wiper switches, as well as any accessories like twilight sentinel or speed control. I would never have done it if I wasn't changing to a factory A/C dash. You can do it, just remember it's a time consuming PITA.

Anytime you're that far into a dashboard, give some thought to replacing the heater core, as you're partway there with dash disassembly.

Friends, I have not attempted the dash removal yet, so thanks for all the tips. I did not have the trim shop remove the dash. I didn't have the budget for dash pad restoration yet. I'll take some pics when I get to the attempt to remove...

Back