Diamond Back redline tires

stain

Reaction score
I purchased a 1968 New yorker from a member here and the tires are 11 years old. I want to install a set of Magnum 500's.
I really would like a set of redline tires for it but the price is making me cringe.
Before I spend the money, has anyone here had any experience, good or bad with these tires?
It seems the Diamond Back 3's are BR Goodrich radial T/A's and the 235/75/15's are $339 each
The Diamond Back 1's look to made from a Nexan tire and the 235/75/15"s are $269 each
The redlines are @$155 MORE per tire vs. the base tire of the same brand.
The extra $600 is making me balk a little although I think the redlines would look really good on the Magnum's with the black car and the small red pinstripe it has
I keep going back and forth between the redlines and $$$$ or the BF Goodrich and black wall.

Last edited:
I purchased a 1968 New yorker from a member here and the tires are 11 years old. I want to install a set of Magnum 500's.
I really would like a set of redline tires for it but the price is making me cringe.
Before I spend the money, has anyone here had any experience, good or bad with these tires?
It seems the Diamond Back 3's are BR Goodrich radial T/A's and the 235/75/15's are $339 each
The Diamond Back 1's look to made from a Nexan tire and the 235/75/15"s are $269 each
The extra $600 is making me balk a little although I think the redlines would look really good on the Magnum's with the black car and the small red pinstripe it has
I keep going back and forth between the redlines and $$$$ or the BF Goodrich and black wall.
I was going to try these, although in whitewall. I scored some tires so I my plans changed, but these could work....

Redline Tire Ring Add-On Kit - Permanent Rubber Red Pinstripe Tires

I have Diamondback III redlines on some of my cars. I love them, and prefer them over Coker Tire's redline radials.

1708480443112.png
1708480521881.png

Last edited:
The thing about Diamondback is that they use current tires and modify them for the desired sidewall style. Only thing is, read the warranty information, it voids the warranty on the base tire. So read that part of things carefully.

As to the Tire Stickers, I saw some of those in a picture on a 17" Firestone tire that looked very good. Didn't know they had expanded into redlines, though. Great information!

As to the '68 NY, I might recommend using a P225/75-15 tire rather than the larger P235/75-15. To me, the slightly shorter tire will look better than the larger one, which looks too big to me. Weight capacity is NOT an issue with the P225/75-15 size, either. Considering the P225 size will more closely match the original power disc brake 15" tire size, too.

Backspacing on the VN-501 would be 4" on the 15x7s. I believe you can get the steel Magnum 500s in 15x7 with 4.25" backspacing, too. An observed issue is the space between the tire sidewalls and the inner portion of the rear wheel wheelhouse.

IF you scrub the tire sidewalls with the fender skirts removed, from my experiences of doing that. On our '66 Newport with normal H78-14 tires, I had enough clearance to get a hand-held brush up into the wheel well and not hit undercoat. On the '67 Newport with 14x6.5" station wagon wheels and P245/70-14 Advantage TAs, it was tighter and I did "hit undercoat" with the brush handle.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

As to the '68 NY, I might recommend using a P225/75-15 tire rather than the larger P235/75-15. To me, the slightly shorter tire will look better than the larger one, which looks too big to me. Weight capacity is NOT an issue with the P225/75-15 size, either. Considering the P225 size will more closely match the original power disc brake 15" tire size, too.
My mistake, I should have said the 235/70/15 size tires. It should be @1/3 inch shorter and @1/2 wider
I am looking at the these
Wheel Vintiques 54-5712044 Wheel Vintiques 54 Series Magnum 500 Chrome Wheels | Summit Racing

also, strangely enough, the 225/75/15 tire size seems harder to find in red line tire.
Seems like the Diamond Back tires are the best quality from what I am seeing here.
I believe the Diamond back 3's in 235/70/15 with red lines mounted on a set of Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500 steel chrome wheels 15X7 in 4.25 backspace is what I am going with.
I have spent WAY too much time researching these wheels/tires
I will post before and after when I get it all installed.

I have diamondback redlines on my car. They are a Mastercraft brand carcass tire . 245-60-15

20230218_150539.jpg

Had to replace ALL of my 4 whitewall tires made by Coker Tire which had approximately 1,200 miles on them just over four years old; three years of which when they were in storage, with air, on rims while the car was having an off frame restoration. All four had SEVERE tire separation and Coker would not stand behind them even though they had lifetime manufacturing warranty, said it was not a manufacturing problem. Discount Tire stood behind them because I had their extended warranty which they will no longer write for Coker exactly for the problems I had. In talking with other people, experience with Coker is horrible and their process's outdated!

I replaced them with Diamond Backs which when they were ordered by Discount I was told they were Nexen but when they came they are labeled AUBURN. Supposedly Diamond Back buys black walls and then converts them to white whitewalls and if true, would guess they do that for the Red Line also. As far as the tire I have, Auburn, they are good looking tires, ride far, far superior to Coker and the reviews on them are very good. On a further note, it took approximately 8 weeks to get them because of scheduling for custom manufacture to your specifications. That's my $.02, whoops, $.07; adjusting for inflation!

Had to replace ALL of my 4 whitewall tires made by Coker Tire which had approximately 1,200 miles on them just over four years old; three years of which when they were in storage, with air, on rims while the car was having an off frame restoration. All four had SEVERE tire separation and Coker would not stand behind them even though they had lifetime manufacturing warranty, said it was not a manufacturing problem.
Not the first time I've heard that.

Diamondback is a tire modification service, of sorts. Purchasing the desired size from a tire manufacturer, then fusing the desired sidewall treatment onto the base tire. They've been doing that for several decades, so they should know what they are doing. DO check the date codes for good measure.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I now an doubting myself on the red lines on this car.
I am certain on the Magnum 500's
It is near impossible to find a picture of a black New Yorker with Magnum 500's for reference.
I guess if I dont like the look of the red line tires then I could just flip them around.

Yeah, I have been using that ad to try to Photoshop some red lines on the tires.
Pretty sad attempt on my part. Looks like a 2nd grader did it!!!!!!
:rofl::rofl:
1708540099462.png

Well, I got the wheels and tires on yesterday and took it for a short drive.
1968 ny.JPG

Back