WANTED door panels for a 1965 Plymouth Fury

Status
Not open for further replies.

c300g

Reaction score
Contact seller
I need to find door panels for my 1965 Plymouth Savoy 4 door sedan (fury I). the vinyl is in great shape but the cardboard backs are shot. does anyone have any spare door panels with good cardboard I can use to fix mine?
i know 1966 won't work but panels from a 65 dodge might.
my front drivers side was redone from scratch so i just need the rear driver side and both passengers.

Sorry, I don't have parts to help you.

I've wondered about the market for hardboards for our cars, I could knock them out on my CNC router after the initial patterning is done.

Usually if the hardboard is shot, the vinyl is also, and I don't have a cost-effective way to upholster them, so most guys would head to Legendary or a local shop.

I repaired mine: Door Panel repair

The source for the new panels is listed and I used 3M trim adhesive to glue the vinyl to the new panels.

John's work above is excellent - and to add to that here is a link to where to get the correct new hardboard:

www.perfectfit.com/15347/154532/Chipbpard-car-Panelboard/Kraft-Tan-Waterproof-Panelboard.html

I am also a big fan of SEM Vinyl Colour products - used them for years and they work wonderfully. As has been mentioned, prep is key to good results.

Yes, you can reuse your old vinyl from the door panels - be very careful peeling it away from the old boards.

Once you've completed your new panels, don't allow them to be ruined by forgetting the watershield. Make sure you replace the plastic watershield behind the door panel - you can easily make your own from 3 mil or thicker plastic sheet available from any hardware store.

thanks for the ideas. I've got some researching to do.
the vinyl on mine is mint so id definitely want to reuse it.

I always coat my hardboards (ones I've made or to preserve factory ones) with polyurethane.
The reusable peel-and-seal caulking at a home store might be good for hanging the plastic on the door. Although at this point, I'd bet most of our cars only get wet when we wash them, so poly might be enough?

I always coat my hardboards (ones I've made or to preserve factory ones) with polyurethane.
The reusable peel-and-seal caulking at a home store might be good for hanging the plastic on the door. Although at this point, I'd bet most of our cars only get wet when we wash them, so poly might be enough?
I'd still use the plastic. It will allow the water to run down and not collect against the panel. It's an easy step.

I mount the plastic by spraying the 3M trim adhesive on the door frame at the top and down the edges a little. I stick the plastic against it while it's still wet and then pull it away and let it get tacky. Stick it back on and I'm done.

I tried the peel and stick type caulk and it was OK until I went to open the door up again. The caulk stuck a little too well and the plastic tore.

Make sure you tuck the bottom edge of the plastic into the door in the long slot at the bottom. This ensures any water runs back into the door and drains out instead of onto your carpet.

Last edited:
I guess at this point I have to ask you guys what you are doing to fear your doors will be getting that wet???
Not criticizing your techniques, you've duplicated what hte factory did.

My white avatar Fury got the doorpanels poly'd and no plastic, and has 80k miles of rain, snow and lotsa car washes. Was daily driver from 97 til about 2000 in all weather (that's something I wouldn't do again, but fortunately she survived it pretty well). Doorpanels still look 9 on a 10 scale.

And maybe these hijacks will help keep the thread alive so c300g can find some panels!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back