Early Chrysler Blue Engine Paint - VHT Engine Enamels SP126

This is what some Chrysler 300 club members are using for the blue/green paint.

Duplicolor aerosol (DE1618 Detroit Diesel Alpine Green)

This is what some Chrysler 300 club members are using for the blue/green paint.

Duplicolor aerosol (DE1618 Detroit Diesel Alpine Green)
I read that (you must be on the email list too) and thought about trying it. I really like Duplicolor engine paint for ease of application and durability, and the fact I can buy it off the shelf appeals to me. BTW, I always use their primer before top coating and I think that helps with adhesion.

A little research and In think it's a little too green, but I would say that the only way to compare is after a few heat cycles. Here's some talk about it from a few years ago. Detailing Engine Mopar Turquoise - Specifically Post #103 has a spray out comparison.

From that thread, @DbnGrnGiant 's picture.

1705853708005.png

This is just my opinion, based on observation only, that the turquoise color was greener in the cars before 1969 or so. I think it became almost blue by 1970.

I'm probably wrong... I had a brown shirt that I used to wear. I asked my wife where it was and she said "What brown shirt? Here's your dark red one".... So I may not be real good at this.

This is just my opinion, based on observation only, that the turquoise color was greener in the cars before 1969 or so. I think it became almost blue by 1970.

I'm probably wrong... I had a brown shirt that I used to wear. I asked my wife where it was and she said "What brown shirt? Here's your dark red one".... So I may not be real good at this.
I think it went from a more pale green tinted turquoise to a blueish green turquoise. Maybe suppliers changed? Mix was changed? Who knows. Corporate Blue was 72 and up.

It really doesn't matter as long as it looks right enough. I've got 6 cans of VHT left and that should be plenty.

Most people can't tell until you look closely, but my front Valance on my 70 wagon was rattle canned VHT SP126 and it's close enough to me for a rusty driver.

Better than gold....

20220930_104349.jpg

I think it went from a more pale green tinted turquoise to a blueish green turquoise. Maybe suppliers changed? Mix was changed? Who knows.
That's it, I don't know and unless the guy that spec'd or approved the paint signs on here, we may never know.

I have seen the giant vats (not exaggerating) of paint used to paint Ford trucks at their F-150 plant... They had to be 10' square. I could just see a huge vat of engine paint being dropped off and someone signing off on it as "close enough" if it wasn't quite right.

So for my 1971 Fury GT, the 440 should be Chrysler Turquoise, not the Chrysler Factory Blue?
71 GT should be orange. 71 had the HP motor. The 70 was the standard 350 horse engine with non HP exhaust manifolds with a dual snorkel with a Super Commando pie tin. The 70 6bbl was orange.

71 GT should be orange. 71 had the HP motor. The 70 was the standard 350 horse engine with non HP exhaust manifolds with a dual snorkel with a Super Commando pie tin. The 70 6bbl was orange.
In theory you are correct. His car is a promo vehicle and has a T code 350 horse 440 in it. It should be turquoise.

After seeing pics of that car I remember it being advertised in MCG in for sale section, in the mid 90s.
Hi. My car is a T code 1st day of production car. It and the green car were T code. They were for sale by the same person in Washington state. After our 2 cars, all known 1971 GT are U code 440 HP. If you remember anything specific from the sale of my car in the 1990s, I'd like to know. Thanks.
1971 Fury GT, Gold, Promo Car

That car was in MCG in the mid 90s in the for sale ads. A friend inquired about it and the guy sent pics of it but it was too rough for him. I think it was in Colorado or Wyoming at the time. I threw out all my issues of MCG from that time. If you find any issues of MCG from the mid 90s check them out because it was advertised for long time. It had pics of it in the for sale ad.

That car was in MCG in the mid 90s in the for sale ads. A friend inquired about it and the guy sent pics of it but it was too rough for him. I think it was in Colorado or Wyoming at the time. I threw out all my issues of MCG from that time. If you find any issues of MCG from the mid 90s check them out because it was advertised for long time. It had pics of it in the for sale ad.
Thanks! Rough is in the eye of the buyer. If that car was on the east coast it would be too rusty to save. Supposedly the car started life in Colorado, but spent most of it's life in New Mexico. That's what saved it.

Back