Extra set of eyes needed (online) for purchase 1959 Imperial Crown

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am sorry to bother you, but I am not very familiar with the subject and even though I know my way around cars, nothing can beats the trained eye and level of knowledge of the specific enthusiasts.

The thing is; I am looking for a nice hobby-car , to make a dream come true and I can enjoy it with my young family, making memories.
I have found a 1959 Imperial Crown in The Netherlands (where I live) and it seems to be an ok car, not perfect, but good enough to get me started and I can work on the little things along the way.

I love the design, it is also for me in the sweetspot of modelyears and the car is just s impressive.

I have only the pictures as attached, nothing more than that. I am trying to get more, but it is very difficult appearantly. At least I got some more pictures of the trunk and engine bay.

The car is for sale at 16.500 Euro's, which would be roughly 17,600-18,000 Dollars? For over here, it is a decent price for a project car, V-8 fifties cars go very easy over 20K over here.
For me, 16.500 € is a lot of money and I am not treading lightly. Even though my heart is stolen, I try to keep my head and make a solid decision.

According to the seller;
-He has it since july 2023, and is selling because he bought another one in a different color. (sounds dodgy, but it could be)
-It runs and drives ok, but could use a service (Don't know what he means by could use a service, could be anything from a oil & filter change to a complete overhaul)
-When braking, it pulls slightly.
-The AC is not working
-The Cruise control is not working
-The car has been alligned after purchase, the mechanic who did that, said that the car looks very nice underneath (according to the seller).

From the poor photo's, it seems to be a solid car, but I have not seen anything from underneath.

I think this could be the one, but I am very keen to hear what you guys think.

IMG-20240131-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20240131-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240131-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240131-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20240131-WA0004.jpg

I think the car looks like it's worth the price.
However, you need a test drive to determine engine/trans and rear end condition.
Have them put the car on a lift and look under it. Floor pan rust could be a problem.
Nice find!

Thanks for the input!
There is no lift available, but I will bring my jack so I can inspect the flooring. Good tip!

@58Belvedere: It is on sale since november last year, I guess there is not much love over here for these gigantuesque boats.

Looks like a pretty good find! As with any 65 year old vehicle that doesn’t get driven regularly, you’ll need to go over all of the mechanical systems and especially the brakes. Go for it!

Thank you guys for the input.

I just received some more pictures and to me, it all doesn't look to bad. The kick-panels seems to be missing, but I think I can make my own.
And there is one area where I am not sure it should be like that, on top of the rails, I circled it blue in a photo.

IMG-20240210-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240210-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20240210-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240210-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20240210-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240210-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20240210-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20240210-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20240210-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20240210-WA0011.jpg

The imperial is a cool ride. It’s an emotional purchase. That’s a fair price if it’s drivable within the US. Don’t know about where you’re at. Prices vary. A car is only worth what you’re willing to pay.
You mentioned it was aligned. Then it shouldn’t pull at all. I would be concerned and have a few mechanics check it out and the drive train. That’s an old Big Block Chrysler. Someone rebuilt it. A compression test and how the transmission shifts will tell you volumes. Parts for it will have a long lead time. It’s either going to be a museum piece or something to enjoy using. My old dodge isn’t perfect but, it brings me Pure Joy to drive.
It’s a beautiful car. You just have to figure out how my your Joy is worth to you then nothing else matters.

Thanks for the input.
@Mingo, it pulls when braking, so the brakes should be checked out. I think I can do that myself, should be not too difficult.
Usually the prices over here are close to double of that in the USA.

I received an video of it when idling:

Love the fins! Sounds pretty good. You probably already know this but, some old Chryslers and GMs reversed the lug nut threads on the driver side. Wish someone would have told me. Might save you a sore shoulder.
Keep posting updates! It’s a beautiful cool Car!

Yes LH threads on Left side. Willwood or AAJ makes disc brakes kits, Should be a a 5x5 wheel and may need a special kit And more than likely all will be RH threads.

Most of these old cars have a tendency to pull when braking. Might be as simple as some brake fluid on a shoe from a minor leak of the fluid. If you have someone who can check the brakes, take the car to them after driving and applying the brakes a few times (hard) to set the brakes. The worst thing is setting and not being driven.
The spot you circled looks like a crack, which, worst case could be welded.
Nice looking car, and the red interior sets the polar white of very nicely. The dash is spectacular and something I could stare at for a long time.
Remember, these cars are over 60 years old, and each develop their own idiosyncrasies. They may not be perfect, but you cannot compare the look, ride, and just plain joy of having one. Good Luck...

The spot you outlined does not appear to be at the frame, but of course photos can be difficult to interpret. Otherwise the car looks nice. As the other guys have pointed out, the car is 65 years old, so there will be issues and sorting.

I would absolutely advise that you inspect the underside of the car as best you can. There is no substitute for seeing the car from underneath with the car on a lift. Price-wise, I am a very cheap guy, so I would knock off a few thousand Euro, because you are going to spend a few thousand Euro in no time fixing this beauty up.

But I do love the car and I hope it's a good car for you.

Great looking dash. Has the odometer rolled over? 100K+ miles seems like a lot. Has engine been rebuilt?

Thank you guys for the input.

I just received some more pictures and to me, it all doesn't look to bad. The kick-panels seems to be missing, but I think I can make my own.
And there is one area where I am not sure it should be like that, on top of the rails, I circled it blue in a photo.

View attachment 643224

View attachment 643225

View attachment 643226

View attachment 643227

View attachment 643228

View attachment 643229

View attachment 643230

View attachment 643231

View attachment 643232

View attachment 643233
That looks like a very nice car and as clean and solid as everything looks I’m betting the floor pans are in good shape as well. That seems like a great price for all you’re getting. Honestly I would hardly call that a project car as nice as it seems. Most cars cars need a few things even if it’s just to personalize it to your liking. Good luck and please keep us posted if you get it!

Yes LH threads on Left side. Willwood or AAJ makes disc brakes kits, Should be a a 5x5 wheel and may need a special kit And more than likely all will be RH threads.

Personally, I would not bother with a disc brake conversion. These cars have large excellent drum brakes that work very well - if they are in good condition and adjusted correctly. I would adjust the brake shoes and take the car for a drive making several gentle stops and a few slow down brake applications and see how the brakes feel.

And if you have any helpful tips of where to look for specifically for these cars, other than the generic things one has to look at, Please do share them.
This car appears to have had "YES" written across the order form. I couldn't see if the car has a power seat, but it certainly seems to have every other option. If the seller will let you, take it to a mechanic you trust and have him check the front suspension, brakes and maybe even do a compression test on the engine. Are you able to take it for a test drive? Does it drive well, does it stop in a straight line? Does it make any unusual noises? Start from there.

Back