Fury GT 440-6 found on Facebook (not for sale)

Commando, you are too busy blowing your lips to listen to what people tell you and contrary to your opinion, you are not the fountain of all mopar knowledge.
47 years may have distorted your memory of what the salesman told you.
Thats all I'm saying.

Ain't much detail, in 1970 a 440 350, 440 hp, 440 6-pac and the hemi were just engines
I just said they were engines, I didn't say any or all were available in a particular car. As I said, shut up and read what people post. Instead of 440 hp I should have written 440 375 - make you feel better?

I just said they were engines, I didn't say any or all were available in a particular car. As I said, shut up and read what people post. Instead of 440 hp I should have written 440 375 - make you feel better?
You said
440 350, 440 hp, 440 6-pac
You weren't offered a 440 HP.
A 350hp 440 or a 440-6 and that's it.

47 years may have distorted your memory of what the salesman told you.
Thats all I'm saying.
Well you'd be wrong, I remember that conversation just fine. In fact its funny, I remember the showroom, the salesman's office and everything else liked it was yesterday. Mind you this is normal at my age I guess, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but 50 years ago, no sweat.
You need to unwind a bit, you seem to be suffering from tunnel vision.

Last edited:
OK. I am obviously mssing the gist of what you initially said.
And I am obviously not being clear of getting across my point.
Let's call this issue a train wreck and move on.

It's the only place where you end a debate with this and get four Likes out of it.

245ec7411d96005a79abc04e37df594e.jpg

You're missing my point.
You could not have been offered the Hemi in your Fury.
Brass hat car, executuve car, special order car...
Call it what you want but the dealer could not have quoted you 900 bucks for it to come with a Hemi under any circumstances.

:bs_flag:

The 440 available was a 350 horsepower 440 That's not a 440 HP.

I do believe the Salesman could have said this, back then there were so many individual options that some confusion could result. I've heard many stories from people, and I knew people who ordered cars in the 60s and 70s where the car showed up without or with different options. In this case it's possible that a sales guy was confused after quoting prices for a B body. Sometimes a sales manager would quash some options because HE KNEW they weren't available on that particular model, but some orders snuck through. When the cars were delivered to the dealer missing options, wrong engine, etc, some people refused to take them. Today since everything is all in 'Packages', we don't see these issues.

I do believe the Salesman could have said this, back then there were so many individual options that some confusion could result. I've heard many stories from people, and I knew people who ordered cars in the 60s and 70s where the car showed up without or with different options. In this case it's possible that a sales guy was confused after quoting prices for a B body. Sometimes a sales manager would quash some options because HE KNEW they weren't available on that particular model, but some orders snuck through. When the cars were delivered to the dealer missing options, wrong engine, etc, some people refused to take them. Today since everything is all in 'Packages', we don't see these issues.

Considering 1970 model year was unveiled about Sept 20/69 and my order was written up on Sept 25/69 it wouldn't surprise me at all that the salesman was still reading is option book. The car on the showroom floor was a fully loaded GT, don't remember if it was a TNT or 6-Pac, black on black, buckets, floor shift auto, etc. I was sitting in the sales office looking at that car while the order was being built. I really wanted that GT as a convertible, but the salesman was adamant, no could do. However, he suggested I could options up a Fury III convertible and build my own GT convertible. Small stuff like buckets, console, floor shift, power windows, disc brakes, HD suspension and trailer hitch were easy. Included was thed removal of my trailer hitch from my 68 convertible and it's installation on the new car.
My engine options bounced between the 440 (350hp) and the hemi. The 440 won simply because the hemi was a lot more dollars, $440 vs $865 and the hemi had essentially no warranty. I don't think Mopar really wanted to sell the hemi engine at all regardless of car line since the warranty statement included a whole page of small print exclusions. Basically, if anything broke, you must have been racing which invalidated the warranty. My wife and I decided we really didn't want the risk. As it turned out, at just under 20,000 miles the 440 started to burn oil faster than fuel and Mopar replaced the rings, a bunch of pistons and a couple of valves, all under warranty.
Anyhow, I remember the whole process very well because it was the first new car I ever bought and as it turned out was the only one I ever got to custom configure. Everything since has, as you say, been bundles with very few options to customize. However, the dealer parts department will happily sell you the darndest things to satisfy your every whim as long as you've deep pockets.
My order as written.
Purchase Order.jpg

Considering 1970 model year was unveiled about Sept 20/69 and my order was written up on Sept 25/69 it wouldn't surprise me at all that the salesman was still reading is option book....
Bill, I mean this with all sincerity that I am not trying to act like a know it all, nor am I saying this with any snideness. I am not looking to question the events nor am I trying question your intelligence a/o memory.
So, please, understand I am asking this with genuine curiosity.
Today, do you feel, had you chosen to go for the Hemi, that you actually would have had a Hemi Fury delivered?

I have no doubt the salesman did quote you a price with a Hemi.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but who's car is this and where are the rest of the pics?

thumbnail_wp_20160323_17_43_43_pro-mod-jpg.76273

After that R code discovery....deep silence :)
Would love to know, if other vin codes in car has R also or just door vin has typo.

Bill, I mean this with all sincerity that I am not trying to act like a know it all, nor am I saying this with any snideness. I am not looking to question the events nor am I trying question your intelligence a/o memory.
So, please, understand I am asking this with genuine curiosity.
Today, do you feel, had you chosen to go for the Hemi, that you actually would have had a Hemi Fury delivered?

I have no doubt the salesman did quote you a price with a Hemi.

Probably not, but in those days some amazing things happened.

My late father was an officer in the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps and in the early 60's was a Colonel assigned as DOS (Director of Ordnance Services). He was responsible for acquisition, storage and deployment of all military ordnance and supplies from paper clips to helicopters. Also note all the brass in the various corporations which supplied the military were all WWII vets and for the most part formed a very large and exclusive old boys network. If a member needed something all he needed to do was ask the right guy.

Dad was partial to GM and when ever he needed a new car, he would be invited to Oshawa. A GM limo would pick him up, drive him to Oshawa where he would walk the line while his car was assembled. The walk generally included Cuban cigars and maybe a dram or two. At the end he'd take delivery and drive his new car home. I was lucky enough to go on one of these trips in the mid 50's when I was about 13. It was a blast.

So no, I probably wouldn't have received an ordered hemi, but if my Dad had wanted one in 1969 it would have happened. By 1969 Dad was a full General and very well ensconced within the old boys network.
Never say never, especially to a General. :rolleyes:

Back