Fuselage Dodge Registry interest?

71Polara383

Kid with ballcap
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has tried to put something like this together, I think it would be cool to start a thread for the owners of the cars to check in with a picture and info about the cars. Even if the cars are no longer alive. The lower production number of the total Dodges built really intrigues me and I think they need to be accounted for just like the GT and S23 cars. I am positive the level of interest is going to be low, figured I'd give it a try anyway. These cars don't get half the attention I believe they should.
Fury : 356,305
Polara/Monaco : 130,287
Chrysler : 233,090
Fury : 259,190
Polara/Monaco : 92,913
Chrysler : 159,871
Fury : 251,138
Polara/Monaco : 97,815
Chrysler : 153,282
Fury : 258,612
Polara/Monaco : 132,140
Chrysler : 180,489
Fury : 255,495
Polara/Monaco : 132,553
Chrysler : 201,815

IMG_20171227_131140.jpg

I could add 110 70 Polara convertibles to this registry. You lay out the website jr and I will hand over all I have .

20150907_133342.jpg

I was thinking of breaking it down by year, model. The lack of Broughams in existence puts them in the class of GTs or S23s in my opinion.

Last edited:
I was think of breaking it down by year, model. The lack of Broughams in existence puts then in the class of GTs or S23s in my opinion.

Agree, they did make 2024 of the two door model , I have come upon a dozen or so in the last 30 years . So few with bucket seats .So few with the 440 , please Wyatt, do something official and put together a website .

I have only came across a handful and I bet a few of them are the same ones you know about. Well I am sure you know about the blue one in New Jersey...

received_1706863935990473.jpeg

downloadfile.jpg

proxy.jpg

IMG_1355.JPG

Dodge-Polara-48d52621f45f41ea-medium.jpg

FB_IMG_1521302706354.jpg

One interesting fact on the '70 Monacos seems to be that apparently something changed in the owner's manual information between the time the manual was approved for publication or there was a "spring special" revision? My 'DH43N0D has a March 1970 date on the door decal, but the owner's manual (and possibly the sales brochure?) have no mention of the "N" 383 being available, just the 383 2bbl and 440 4bbl. Yet the '70 Dodge service manual has full coverage of the 383 "N". Any ideas?

The trans refill capacity (for fluid/filter changes) reflects the smaller torque converter (with a little more stall speed). It came with the Carter AVS 4732-S carb, crinkle-finish dual snorkel air cleaner, factory dual exhausts,and "blue" paint. Factory a/c, power driver's seat, rh recliner split bench, vinyl interior, power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt and rim blow, cornering lights, AM radio, W23 Class II 16-slot Road Wheels, power drum brakes, 3.23 std rear axle ratio. I bought it as a trade-in on a '75 Charger SE by the prior owner's (bought it new in San Angelo, TX) daughter, from the local Chrysler-Plymouth/Dodge dealer with 86K miles and unmolested. That was in about 1975. Dark green vinyl roof and interior, "medium" green metallic paint. Of course, the concave rear window and roof.

The attached picture is the closest approximation I can find. Remove the rear bumper guards, the rh mirror, and add the W23 wheels in place of the displayed wheel covers. For the record, no Fratzog emblem in the center of the rear bumper, which might be production-month-determined?

The production figures from the "Standard Book of Chrysler" indicate that something lik 20K '70 Monaco sedans/hardtops were built. Factory in the Brougham Package, the (not-admitted-to) 383 "N" motor, and the W23 Class II 16-slot Road Wheels, and the possible production numbers might decreased markedly?

CBODY67

DODGE__1970_MONACO_9a817d1febbb8fd886f5a4632c6800d7--monaco-dodge.jpg

The N code engine in the 1970/71 Polara/ Monacos seems to be always left out of so many parts books/ computers , literature . I presume so few were produced because of omission of information . I dont see a reference to it in the red pocket handbook either.

Dodge C-body production numbers related to Chrysler-Plymouth? The popularity of the Plymouth models might relate to how well the Fury III and further upscale variations might have better-fitted the economic times of that era? A fancier Plymouth would have been in Polara territory, but had the added distinction of being "the fanciest" Plymouth. At a time when metro Dodge dealers were competitors with the Chrysler-Plymouth dealers. In reality, they all might have had the same number of "product", just that C-P was more cars and Dodge had cars and trucks. Dealers away from the metro areas would have had a mix of both, I suspect, as they were usually C-P/D stores.

As Daimler discovered with the minivans, trying to sell a former Plymouth minivan for less money with a Chrysler nameplate just didn't work. It was the perception of Plymouth as "value" and Chrysler as "luxury" that was not understood or realized by Daimler or few others, it seemed. The other reality is that IF those former Plymouth owners had wanted or desired a Dodge minivan, they could have had one! But didn't.

Even in the '69+ era, "brand" still mattered. And, as an extension of the "For A Few Dollars More, YOU Can Own A CHRYSLER" orientation, going from a Fury III to a Chrysler Newport, if desired, was usually already sitting on the dealer's lot (at least in the larger metro dealers' situation).

A few dynamics involved, some of which had to do with "brand". Plus, back then, the Dodge orientation was for "performance" and THAT was usually Charger/Coronet rather than Polara/Monaco. NOT that they weren't in the mix, too, just that probably not considered by the general public per se. The people who bought a Polara 383 2bbl were probably not interested in a Charger SE 383 4bbl, I suspect, or a '70 Dart Swinger 340? BUT the ONE brand that probably best-covered the span between nicer economy cars, tire-smoking hot rods, upscale middle-class luxury, and pickup trucks was DODGE. Plymouth went more toward "value" orientations and Chrysler went more luxury in orientation and price points. "Brand" (and its perception) mattered.

CBODY67

One thing which never tends to amaze me is the '73 Fury III-type cars that seem to turn up infrequently. When new, I could recognize some nice styling cues, individually, but when put all together, just didn't seem to pop as they should have. But every so often, one shows up on the area streets (usually parked in front of an auto supply, maybe an employee's car) that has fresh paint, some 18" aftermarket wheels, and just looks stunning. Color doesn't seem to matter, as long as it's a factory color. Obviously from an "estate" situation, refurbished, and it all looks great. Makes me smile! Certainly don't seem many of them! Not to say that a '70 300 would not look better, in comparison, just that the Furys are "seldom seen".

CBODY67

Dave just made an offer that would build a big piece of the foundation of the registry. My 70 Polara rag top is in his data.

Agreed -- great idea, can't wait for the info in the registry. Once the latter is up and running, you may want to give a heads up to fuselage.de so they can link to it -- and, in turn, you might link from the registry to that site. I have nothing to do with the latter, but have found lots of useful info on it.

Back