I need a favor.....

carrman

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a factory or reproduction positive battery cable for a '67 or '68 Newport? If so, can I impose upon you to measure it's length, and the length of the leads coming off of the cable? Also, a picture of it stretched out, please? I want to get one custom made out of 1/0 welding cable, and the repro cable I already have is kind busy running the car. I'm doing a Mercedes electric fan install this winter and I want to beef up the charging capacity to keep up with it.

Does anyone out there have a factory or reproduction positive battery cable for a '67 or '68 Newport? If so, can I impose upon you to measure it's length, and the length of the leads coming off of the cable? Also, a picture of it stretched out, please? I want to get one custom made out of 1/0 welding cable, and the repro cable I already have is kind busy running the car. I'm doing a Mercedes electric fan install this winter and I want to beef up the charging capacity to keep up with it.
I can measure my old cable for you. I suggest you scale back the gauge of your starter cable to #2 AWG, which will carry PLENTY enough current for you. 1/0 is overkill, and too costly for the purpose. I suppose #1 AWG might, under some pretty outrageous circumstances, be barely warrantable. Good move on the electric fan install.

This is the fan and controller I have and will be installing. Fan is rated at 600w and can draw a peak of 50 amps. This is why I want 1/0 battery cables. I appreciate you measuring your old cable for me.

Last edited:
Dave, I just replaced the cables on Grace.
Repops are available through National Moparts.
Tell 'em I sent ya!
National Mo-Parts – Est. 1987

20230606_180707.jpg

20230608_153435.jpg

This is the fan and controller I have and will be installing. Fan is rated at 600w and can draw a peak of 50 amps. This is why I want 1/0 battery cables. I appreciate you measuring your old cable for me.

The conductor length of the #4 AWG hot cable from battery to starter lug runs 49" even. The #12 AWG solenoid wire still cloth taped to that runs 1/2" longer, and has its original factory
orig-1968-starter-cable-Chrysler-Newport.jpg

terminals on both ends. The same cable for our old 1966 comes to just 42", but clearly was pruned by myself and the former owner. I take it you have a high ampacity alternator to push all the extra current you plan on? I run a modest 225 W fan motor as a pusher, but reckon you're going for full up electric engine cooling with this rig. Good on you!

During the mild winters we have here, Gertrude runs nicely without the big heavy salad chopper hanging on the water pump, but come about May, I have to bolt it back on. So I'll be watching you for notes on that Mercedes fan. I want to ultimately install a Meziere or some comparable electric coolant pump with an all electric fan scheme, as electro-thermostatic controlled cooling beats 19th century mechanical widgetry all to Hell. Mind you, I'm happy as can be with the brute force results of my current engine cooling scheme, but always seek greater efficiency. The more power I can put on the road instead of out the exhaust, the better.

Back