I now have true dual exhaust and Flowmasters

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I now have true dual exhausts from the manifolds back and Flowmasters. I've ran about about a half tank 4 times so far and fuel mileage increased from 8.5 to 10 mpg.

I had a local exhaust shop, L&M Automotive in Aberdeen, Maryland, hand bend the pipes. He had an exhaust book that gave him the lengths, angles, etc. I believe he said he used a 1975 Newport with dual exhausts as a guide. New Yorker undercarriage has capability for dual exhaust. Another words, area for the left side pipe to naturally follow, area for the left side muffler, and duplicate places to attach hangars on the left side.

The next time I have it up on the lift, I'll take pictures and post them. It looks and sounds great. I forgot to mention that the Flowmasters are 40 Series.

From Day 1, I have been searching for a NOS/used set of the super-ultra rare factory non-cat duals for these cars (Gran Fury Cop 440's). I have found all the L & R NOS hangers, brackets, and hardware, but no pipes.... :sad10:
One in a million shot but I will persevere....

(I just KNOW Chris is now gonna reply saying that he.....) :icon_hang:

Last edited:
From Day 1, I have been searching for a NOS/used set of the super-ultra rare factory non-cat duals for these cars (Gran Fury Cop 440's). I have found all the L & R NOS hangers, brackets, and hardware, but no pipes.... :sad10:
One in a million shot but I will persevere....

(I just KNOW Chris is now gonna reply saying that he.....) :icon_hang:

They're out there..........keep looking. If they can find them for E bodies yours should be considered easy.

"...yours should be considered easy"
2r3vadw.jpg

Last edited:
NORS will do.....
Because I want it to fit correctly the first time.
Years ago shops had benders that were programmed with punch cards (remember those?).
There was a card for each and every OEM pipe. Go to a muffler shop, they insert card, out comes an exact pipe. No more!!! So if I want a new dual exhaust, it's custom only by some local yokel with a torch. They do the stupidest things especially when it comes to hanging the system with universal hangers while snaking through the torsion bars and looping over the rear axle. Sorry, Mr. Wrap-a-Round Bumper, in this case, I have to agree with Mitchell's (ughhh....) when he says : "when only NOS/NORS will do..."

Quite frankly, I don't trust anybody here in all of Fumbuck County to do a system up to my standards. What a prima-donna I am, aren't I?

BTW, I'll beat you to the punch: No one makes a dual, non-cat system for BB 74-78 C's.... Yes, even Waldrons. I've talked to them.

Last edited:
There is a shop in northern Illinois that still has the cards for the bending. I had him make up a dual system for my 74 Fury.

See, you haven't looked hard enough! :sSig_wootwoot:

How can you say that? Looked hard enough to find it now.
The last thing on my bucket list of items to track down are a set of 74-77 bucket seats that were only available on the Gran Fury cop cars.
That's the holy grail.

Back