If I didnt have bad luck......

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
It seems as though the last few years I can't seem to catch a break, back in November I paid ($1500) to store my cars for another year with my plan/hope that this coming spring/summer we would be in a position to purchase a home with some land and hopefully an outbuilding or 10.

I got a registered letter a few weeks back and quickly found that I had a new and very unpleasant issue to deal with. The guy who I had been paying took our money and disappeared, defaulting on his mortgage and pulling a vanishing act, the private lender had to track all of us down and suddenly in January I had to move 4 cars, and I had 10 days to do it.....

To put it nicely, I had a wide range of emotions at that time, and none were pleasant.

I did something I rarely do, I asked for help. I'm the first to offer and last to ask, always have been. Fortunately for me, I'm very fortunate to have some amazing friends, so the plan went into motion, Saturday at 10AM, we'd begin moving cars.

As some know, I work 11 PM-7:30AM in the city, so I knew it would be a long day, in addition to that, some of these cars I haven't even seen or touched in a few years, I anticipated and prepared for the worst, loaded up my Ram with a floor jack, tires, a variety of shackles, snatch blocks, straps, etc.

After work I headed to my parents house, picked up dad and we set out with my trailer in tow, arriving at the farm at 9:55 AM we headed up the lane-way and I finally got a chance to walk the barns and figure out a plan of attack.

Much to my surprise all 4 cars had tires still holding air and aside from being dusty, looked exactly as they did when I put them where they were.

By the time I got back outside my friend Colten was arriving, driving his '68 Dodge. He and I began pushing cars outside, the first car to come out being my '70 Fury, following by my '69 Convertible, by this time my friend Kevin arrived with his '18 Ram 2500 Cummins 6 speed with his trailer in tow, he helped the 4 of us get the '69 Sport Fury outside, leaving just my AHB M body to come out. By this time my friend Steve and his Son Spencer arrived with Steve's Silverado and a U haul he rented in tow. We got the Caravelle out and began loading cars.

First car loaded was the Sport Fury on Kevin's trailer, next up we loaded the Convertible on the U Haul, not an easy task, I ended up putting my trailer alongside, putting the winch cable through the snatch block off a D ring on my deck with a shackle and pulled the car up that way. Next up was the Caravelle on my trailer. Once everything was strapped the Convoy of Mopar's set off for my grandparents old house about 35 minutes away, lined up in quence on the road we unloaded each car one at a time, after the 3 were unloaded I let my friends know I could handle retrieval of the last car without them, I tried to give them all some money for fuel, their time and efforts, much to my surprise none would accept it, something that both humbled me and made me eternally grateful to my friends.

Dad and I headed out again with the big blue Ram and trailer in tow, we winched the last car on the trailer, strapped it and bid goodbye to "440 Farm" for the last time....

After unloading the '70 I realized it was the first time these 4 cars had ever seen daylight together since I had accumulated them.

They may look like a bunch of junk, but I've done all the hardwork of tracking down every single part they need, sheet metal included. I've spent the last decade honing my skills and practicing those skills in preparation of tackling these projects that most would consider too far gone to rescue.

Anyway, I figured some might enjoy this little tale...

FB_IMG_1706996756393.jpg

FB_IMG_1707009256875.jpg

FB_IMG_1707009260993.jpg

FB_IMG_1707009264344.jpg

20240203_144623.jpg

20240203_144835.jpg

20240203_144854.jpg

20240203_144922.jpg

20240203_144944.jpg

20240203_144955.jpg

Shame - Can't trust anybody to not screw you over these days.

Stressful! Sounds like it's time to thin the herd out a little if it's getting too much to handle. Or maybe buy the guy's foreclosed place for cheap- blessing in disguise!

Looking at the good side, I think you got really lucky that you got a letter. I've seen too many instances of property "issues" where cars were stored and the cars were hauled off and scrapped without the owner ever knowing.

But having to move those cars in the winter is no fun what so ever.... Good you had some great friends to help!!

Damn Nick, that sucks. Glad you were able to move everything without any issues.

That sucks, Nick.
My storage is on borrowed time as the owner passed away and the widow is on the edge of selling.
Gotta build a garage.
Sorry I could not help. My shift work did not match yours.

The loss of storage is a bummer.
If you wish to continue to keep them covered (and you do), the $200 harbor freight 10x17 portable garage is the best bang for the buck. They last three to four years in full sun and have as much roof pitch and pipe diameter as you can get with an economy setup. They don't fly away if they are winch strapped to the wheels. Winch straps run across from sofit to sofit inside greatly increase the snow load capability. New billboard vinyl will last 5 to ten years if it's used to replace the original PVC top when that fails.

I'm glad you were able to figure it out quickly as much of a headache as it was. Can't wait to see them all done one day.

Looking at the good side, I think you got really lucky that you got a letter. I've seen too many instances of property "issues" where cars were stored and the cars were hauled off and scrapped without the owner ever knowing.

But having to move those cars in the winter is no fun what so ever.... Good you had some great friends to help!!
The beauty of Ontario is that scrapyards require signed ownerships in order to take cars due to previous issues with stolen cars being scrapped, area yards are very strict about it.

Shame - Can't trust anybody to not screw you over these days.

Stressful! Sounds like it's time to thin the herd out a little if it's getting too much to handle. Or maybe buy the guy's foreclosed place for cheap- blessing in disguise!
I debated thinning out cars, and have been debating it for a few years, the problem goes as follows, I'll go in chronological order;

The '69 Fury ragtop: I have about $10-15k in brand new, NOS or good used parts for this car, including engines, transmissions, wheels, tires etc. In addition to that, as it sits I'm likely the only person who would actually go the distance with this project, it needs extensive structural repair (I have located and purchased OEM sheetmetal for this, in fact I actually bought a car and cut it up), so in reality it's parts are worth more then it is. I've owned it 12 years in August.

'85 Caravelle Salon AHB; purchased and rescued from the derby guys, again, I've located every single part it needs, up to and including an entire front set of rails and floor pans (I hauled a car back from Syracuse NY), I have 2 of everything for this car and numerous new parts for it. So what's it worth as it sits? Maybe $1000, in reality again, it's likely worth more in parts.

'70 Fury coupe; I bought it in '18 from a friend, he bought it in 2000, and I first saw it in 2012, he bought it for parts and quickly realized it was too nice for that, so he kept it for reference for his restoration, in the time I've had it, I have collected every single component it needs, up too and including a rust free stub frame, the only structural rust it has, I have located rust free exterior body panels, as well as all the parts to convert it to a Sport Fury. But as it sits, what it worth as a roller? $1500 maybe if I was lucky? There's a set of $500 door panels inside it.....

'69 Sport Fury; I bought this one after a friend found it tucked beside a barn, I looked at it for parts and realized it was far too special of a car to part out. It's a true 51k mile car that hasn't seen the road since '81, unfortunately it lived a life up until then, it has amazing options and the story of its original owner is quite interesting. It does however need the usual rust repairs. So what's it really worth, it's 383 with HP manifolds and date coded AVS carb and etc is probably worth a bit to someone with a B body, the floor shift column, console, buckets, and mint dash pad are probably worth quite a bit, the SF grille and other parts are worth some money and a big block 727 is a worthy core, how about the front disc parts and that bendix booster, or the cruise control parts, what about the 4 mint door panels and power window parts, or the 3.23 gear in the 8.75....

The conclusion I reached was I'd lose huge money by even attempting to sell any of these cars, in addition to that, dealing with people on Marketplace/Kijiji/forums is an excercie in frustration at the best of times, and too me my time is money, as it's the commodity I have he least of.

Plus there comes the moral part of it for me, I bought these cars in good faith and promised their prior owners a good home with me, if I can't stand by my word, I can't be called a man.

So while it pains me to see them be outdoors for the first time I've owned them, knowing it's only for a few months is a point of consolement.

I did think about buy numb nuts house, but he was kind enough when he split to rip out all of the copper wiring and plumbing and take the generac generator for the home, he even took the well pump, so they're would be extensive expense to even make it a liveable home, plus I have to factor the fact that I have to be able to commute to work for another 26 years....

The thought of having all the parts needed to finish a car before you even start working on the car is very exciting.

Is that your friend's '68 Monaco in the first photo? What's he doing driving it in the Ontario winter?

Back