Installing a cruise control setup in 1962 Crown Coupe....advice and info needed

emmd61

Reaction score
I have a nice 62 coupe and several cruise setups. I have multiple mounting brackets and not sure which is for 62. Also, several control units. Any advice how to install and which brackets appreciated. 919-630-0158

140761099_3770242836373477_8866277456786915652_n.jpg

141005753_813446279056429_2736214857035230222_n.jpg

Essentially the Autopilot servo unit sits mounted on the driver side inner fender, and needs to be mounted in such a manner as to clear things like the brake booster and master cylinder combo, heater box, and not block too badly access to things like regulators, starter relays etc.

The linkages attach to the gas pedal, so you need the special gas pedal that has a pivot that pokes through the firewall. The part of the linkage that is closest the actual servo unit has some adjustment for length, so the placement of the brackets is not critical, but it should be in the right area, and oriented so that the linkage won't bind throughout it's full movement. Binding is bad... uncontrolled acceleration. The placement of the servo mounting is also dependant upon the length of the control cable that comes from the dash control dial.

There is a specific brake pedal cut-out switch that has it's own brackets, and an Autopilot equipped car may have a specific brake light switch that's unique to that option as opposed to the standard brake light switch for non- Autopilot equipped cars.

The wiring harness and bowden cable that connect to the servo go through the firewall, typically in their own specific grommet, and connect to the dash control dial. All those parts will be needed. The dash control will likely need to be placed in a specific area, and may require a unique to your year and model dash bezel. It's been my experience that the dash dials are model specific, and typically only are used for 2 years before they changed them stylistically. Their basic electro/mechanical is all the same, it's just bezels and dials and such that change.

It's best to find an Autopilot equipped 62 and take detailed measurements and pictures.

I can help with getting it all functional, but I have no experience or specific mouting measurements for your car. I can rebuild the dash dial control, and refurbish and lubricate the servo unit, and cosmetically restore the case along with all the other bits and pieces.

Autopilot 1.jpg

Autopilot 2.jpg

Autopilot 3.jpg

Autopilot 4.jpg

Back