Installing a new top, best left to the professionals?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I will need to replace the top on my '66 300. Is this a fairly difficult job? Are there any good instructions for DIY? To explain my capiblities, I am willing to try about anything, however if any mistakes on a task can't be reversed, I would seek a professional.

I usually jump right into anything. My thought has always been, what the hell its already broken. However, a top is expensive and so is that back window glass. A convertible top is something I would leave to the guy that has done a thousand of them. That I want and need to be right.

I usually jump right into anything. My thought has always been, what the hell its already broken. However, a top is expensive and so is that back window glass. A convertible top is something I would leave to the guy that has done a thousand of them. That I want and need to be right.

I was kind of thinking the same. I just saw a '69 "custom" Newport in the for sale section with an ill fitted top. Nothing look worse on a 'vert except maybe those 22" wheels.

I was kind of thinking the same. I just saw a '69 "custom" Newport in the for sale section with an ill fitted top. Nothing look worse on a 'vert except maybe those 22" wheels.
And the top looks like that because he did it himself.
I would never tackle a top.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

I never had a convertible........maybe a Slabbie..........way down the road.

When I restored my 68 Coronet convertible, I was going to try the topmyself...but thought much the same as you are. If I screw it up them I'm SOL. So took it to a profesional. Not only did they end up tearing the first top, they had to call in a second top guru, to help install the second top. They had to flip the bill for a new top, air freight over night, to get the car done. They made no money on my top...but they did honor their quote though.

1988, I had my top replaced on my 69 Sport Fury. They said dont put it down for seven days, let the material stretch. When I did put it down the glass shattered. The culprit was the rear seat speaker. It was an aftermarket piece and the glass caught the magnet, just a hair and the pressure shattered the glass. They replaced it for free, I pulled the speaker first.

I did a majority of the work on my car myself but let the pros tackle the top.

Finished5.jpg

Finished4.jpg

Rear1a.jpg

Sold! A great installed top I don't necessarily notice how good it looks, because I'm looking at the whole car, but a bad one stands out and makes the whole car look bad. By the way Scott, your top looks great.

Sold! A great installed top I don't necessarily notice how good it looks, because I'm looking at the whole car, but a bad one stands out and makes the whole car look bad. By the way Scott, your top looks great.

Thanks, man. Post more pics of your car once you start driving it!

Convertible tops are not that mysterious. (Unless it's a high end German car or something like that)
I have done several with no problems. I almost completely removed the top from my 69 300 at the rear to do the needed metal repairs on the Dutchman panel. I changed the plastic window that came in the car to a glass one and it went back together just fine.
My girl friend has an 05 Mustang convertible and neglected to secure one header latch two years ago. Well..... 65 MPH and guess what happened........ Bent the heck out of the top frame when it blew up. I located a complete top and frame from a wreck.... and swapped the entire top. I had to remove both covers because her top is black, the replacement was tan. It took me 1 1/2 days in the back yard. No special tools needed, just a good drill and rivit gun and stapler.

Some things to concider..... Top replacement should include refinishing the top folding frame. A trim shop won't do that good a job on that, you need to do it yourself to be happy with the outcome, (or a pro restoration shop, very expensive). I would recommend dissasembling the frame, (take lots of pictures), and having it powder coated. Not sure about 66 but rule of thumb for the era was black frame for black tops and white frame for white or other color tops.
Choose a good quality top from a reputable suppler, (Legendary, or google dealers. Avoid Year one).

Will likely require all new seals also.

To have a trim shop make a custom top will run around $1000.00

Last edited:
Prices I got 10 years ago was $1,600 including boot.

A complete restoration with custom made top, new glass and seals and refinishing the top bows could get to the number at a high end shop.... I think a little shopping around would bring the price down a bit. And doing some of the work yourself will lower the cost.

Back